ARCHIVE: Downtown Orlando Master List

bobliocatt

There is a nice group of emerging artists that have a "Block Party" every Friday on the 200 block of Magnolia in front of The Culture Mart and Redefine. They invite local arts to join them and there is no cost to display/sell their artwork. It seems like a nice group of people hanging out for the evening and I'd like to encourage doing what we can to grow this concept.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's my block, bi4ches. They even opened up Daily News, which is never open after breakfast and lunch. There is also an art space called The Office Gallery which has just got help from a local arts supporter called Apartment E, which just celebrated 15 years earlier this year. They are planning on ripping up every other Friday starting the last Friday of June. The Office Gallery is upstairs in the FedEx Kinkos building around the block on Robinson.

So with this art gathering on the sidewalk on Magnolia and plans to do the same thing on Robinson, the arts district will be coming alive. Not funded by the city or the county or developers or whomever. Created by artists and supported by art lovers of all demographics.

Swamburger (his real name is Asaan) is also the artist (along with a few friends) that has been painting at the Winter Park Urban Flats and the downtown Urban Flats.

Is this what everybody is clamoring about when you say that the Creative Village is great in theory, but an arts district evolves from actual creative types coming together??

Also, when it comes to architecture in this town, I know everybody is bored with Baker. My guess is that all the architects have gotten away from the art. What I mean is that when you design something, you should always start with a pencil and paper. You can straighten things out and get exact measurements to scale on the computer afterwards. At least come up with ideas freely. "Put down the mouse, sir." I repeat, "Put down the mouse!"

There is a nice group of emerging artists that have a "Block Party" every Friday on the 200 block of Magnolia in front of The Culture Mart and Redefine. They invite local arts to join them and there is no cost to display/sell their artwork. It seems like a nice group of people hanging out for the evening and I'd like to encourage doing what we can to grow this concept.

Thanks for the update. I posted it in a local chat and got some interest. Do you have any other details about times and such? People were asking and I'd like to spread the news.

Thanks for the update. I posted it in a local chat and got some interest. Do you have any other details about times and such? People were asking and I'd like to spread the news.

I think it starts around 8PM and goes on through Midnight. I spoke with Swamburger and he is very enthusiastic about the project and is strongly encouraging any "B-side" talent to display/sell their work on the street. I had some of my art friends with me who have been hesitant about getting established to show their work so I think they may take the plunge and come out. This is the second Friday night I encountered this and it seems to be getting bigger. I see the Daily News is also offering a free beverage with any purchase during this event. Swamburger says that no reservations are needed, just show up and display your work. He gave me one of his cards and I am sure he won't mind me passing on his contact information: [email protected] (407) 334-9143 B-Side Artist . They are also involved in some upcoming events at 54 N Orange on June 10 and June 24.

That reminds me of the guys that used to hang out with Doc Ricketts on the front porch of his lab playing records in Monterey. That eventually turned into a block party and then into the Monterey Jazz Festival.

Stardust Lounge is open. I'm trying to remember the specials... 2.50 domestics, 3.00 wells, 3.50 call its (something like that) until 8pm every night. I would have stayed to check it out more, but I was just walking around downtown in a t-shirt and cargo shorts. I was a little underdressed for the place. Looks like a fun place to get some drinks. Jeans or nice pants with a button up collar shirt seemed to be the norm. Sign by the door says grand opening is Saturday, June 7th... Dean Martin's birthday.

I walked to Fifi's for dessert and that place was dead. No one. They are also now offering a free coffee from 7am to 9am until June 30th.

Stardust Lounge is open. I'm trying to remember the specials... 2.50 domestics, 3.00 wells, 3.50 call its (something like that) until 8pm every night. I would have stayed to check it out more, but I was just walking around downtown in a t-shirt and cargo shorts. I was a little underdressed for the place. Looks like a fun place to get some drinks. Jeans or nice pants with a button up collar shirt seemed to be the norm. Sign by the door says grand opening is Saturday, June 7th... Dean Martin's birthday.

I walked to Fifi's for dessert and that place was dead. No one. They are also now offering a free coffee from 7am to 9am until June 30th.

Dino!!!

ah, man... sounds awesome.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/stories.../03/story8.html

Sounds interesting--I've passed this information along to a few people I know who would be very interested in getting their art out there. Little grass roots projects like this get me excited for the future of downtown.

Last night a new dimension was added to the Arts Block party. A group of about 30 Brazilian capoeira dancers performed in the lot next to the Daily News. Capoeria is a ``fighting dance'' it is a performed in a circle with tamborines, a drum. Two participants dance kick boxing style in the center for a few minutes and the next couple takes over. This went on for a couple of hours. It was very interesting and entertaining to watch. Some of the city police showed up on bikes as a resident of the Vue thought a gang fight was taking place. This is getting better each week.

I don

Just to put things in perspective, we have not had a ground breaking in over a year. Lutheran or OUC may have been the last one. By the time this breaks ground, it will be the only building under construction. A

Just to put things in perspective, we have not had a ground breaking in over a year. Lutheran or OUC may have been the last one. By the time this breaks ground, it will be the only building under construction. A

and that little easily forgotten $485 million dollar, 800,000 sf events center...

Non-public I should add. The two above mentioned buildings are replacing currently used buildings. Not the same impact.

jack do you know the status on the montage? it is one of my least favorite buildings but adding more rentals in that area should make it blossom with new activity once it's built out.

What about East on Park. That building I see signs for next to Panera.

Archived