ARCHIVE: Downtown Orlando Master List

bobliocatt

wow

central park is beautiful

easily my favorite looking design out of all projects going on in Orlando.  It does have that dense "NY" look to it.  Certainly it doesn't look like any other project going on in Florida.  I think glass is becoming a little too excessive in all the new projects.  I miss the old school, cut-from-stone look.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think this is a good look for Orlando because we are definitely sandwiched between the glassy look of South Florida and the Southern look of North Florida (which I prefer generally from an urban standpoint). I think what can make Orlando unique will be the ability to draw from these influences and build its own style, glass and stone, perhaps not so cutting edge and flashy, but generally strong looking buildings. We have very different buildings going up right now (for instance, CNL II and the Vue, and then something in between, like the Sanctuary). This would be a building that will work well for us.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

true

Orlando needs to create its own identity to stand out, which I think it already is in the process of doing, just not on quite a large scale yet. If built large enough, Central Park looks to be in that perfect location to be the "postcard" building for Orlando, knocking off Suntrust & really defining the architectual character for downtown. Let's hope it's big!

I imagine the reason why that have to keep the "site" of Central Park Apartments confidential is because the developer is still probably closing a deal on the land.  If that is true and it was announced, the land would be worth double what it is now.  This is sort of common practice.

I do, however, imagine that the site is correct, because where else would they build a "central park" apartments in orlando? furthermore, it seem like it was designed for that lot.  We can all hope  <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Certainly. Simply, to be able to design a building, there must be a site to work with. Building designs are not ploppable unless every single element of potential sites are identical, which is never the case in the real world. So it is false for FBBArch to say that they do not know where Central Park Apartments or Ajax will be located. As far as public relations and legality goes, it's just a nice way of saying "we know, but we are unable to disclose that information," which is perfectly understandable. Most likely the land for these projects has not been purchased yet or the landowners may not even know that there are plans for the land which they own.

Central Park Apartments is indeed going to be located where it is in the rendering, as will Ajax Stadium.

true

Orlando needs to create its own identity to stand out, which I think it already is in the process of doing, just not on quite a large scale yet.  If built large enough, Central Park looks to be in that perfect location to be the "postcard" building for Orlando, knocking off Suntrust & really defining the architectual character for downtown.  Let's hope it's big!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I looooove the look of Central Park Apartments and its understated elegance, but I don't think it will be able to knock off SunTrust as the "postcard" building for Orlando. Actually, unless there is an outstanding tower taller than 441-feet, I don't really see SunTrust being eclipsed by anything other unless it is an architectural masterpiece.

What Central Park Apartments will help to do, however, is bring a more cosmopolitan feel to downtown and improve upon the Lake Eola "postcard." That is, the view from the east shore of Lake Eola (which has grown in popularity as that chamber of commerce money shot) will show an urban park surrounded by new (and mainly residential) buildings.

As a side note, I do believe that CPA is definitely an "L"-shaped design, similar to that of the Sanctuary.

It's very interesting that a few days ago we were all chatting about the Dynetech design and the reception was luke warm at best. CPA is from the same acrchitects FBB and the receptioin is overwhelmingly A+. DO YOU HEAR THAT, FBB? Hard to believe they come from the same design house.

CPA has been on FBBArch's website for months and I was hoping maybe Kuhn would have something like it for his second act. I thought it was just a concept that FBB stuck up there. I was very happy when firemick probed FBB and found that the project does have a backer and it's going to happen. I hope the style catches on in other projects. I really like that metropolitan look. I think CNLs and CPA are FBB's best and Dynetech is the worst.

thanks firemick

CPA has been on FBBArch's website for months and I was hoping maybe Kuhn would have something like it for his second act.  I thought it was just a concept that FBB stuck up there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Speaking of concepts...

If you go to the FBBArch web site and look at their exploratory models (02), you'll see that the building on the left resembles the Benchmark Building and actually has the exact same crown/fin/sail/triangular cut out ornament on its roof.

Who knows, Orlando's next big tba project could be one of those other models, or at least inspired by one.

Does anybody have up to date renderings on the solaire/premiere plaza. And what company actually designed the solaire? On the solaire website it has a small rendering and if you count the floors it shows 30 floors not 27. Any help would be appreciated? :ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm fairly certain that the rendering on The Solaire site is the most recent.

• 2 weeks later...

R.C. Stevens Construction Co. has started a $300,000 design/build project for South Bank of Florida's Orlando headquarters.

The project entails renovating a 2-story, 4,500-square-foot office building on Magnolia Avenue in downtown Orlando. Demolition starts this month. R.C. Stevens expects to complete the project in April.

Orlando-headquartered R.C. Stevens is a 79-year-old, privately held company that offers construction management, design/build, general contracting and program management services. It specializes in process and manufacturing plants, healthcare facilities, financial institutions and commercial projects.

I've heard January and February for Vue. Dynetech gave a vague late spring or summer.

Originally Inverlad was one of two towers to be built together in uptown. The other tower was called Ivanhoe. Now the there is only a single name for the twin towers which is Ivanhoe. They will be rental appartments and have announced a summer start.

News on Vue

Mike Murray loves Lake Eola. He thinks it's a big asset for downtown Orlando.

He likes what he sees in the city center, people moving in, construction under way, big plans in progress.

"Orlando is experiencing a confluence of market factors giving it a big boost," he said. Those factors include population and job growth and a momentum that's giving downtown "tremendous energy."

Murray is putting his money where his enthusiasm is. He's a partner in the 35-story The VUE at Lake Eola condominium tower at Robinson Street and Rosalind Avenue.

Nearly 70 percent of the 384 apartments have been sold, with construction slated to start this month.

He moved to Orlando a little more than a year ago, after analyzing the city from afar. His company, Churchill Development Group LLC, now has its headquarters here. The other partner in the tower is Westminster Partners LLC of Chicago.

"The move back to the city is happening all over the country," Murray said. "Orlando is not alone there, but it has so much more going for it."

The developers are receiving no city incentives for their project.

"We're confident of our success," he said. "We saw the foundation for the type of project we want to do. It's our view Orlando is ready for this."

The sales pace appears to support that. The apartment prices range from about $170,000 to a penthouse priced at $3.3 million.

Born in Chicago, Murray graduated from Arizona State University with a degree in construction engineering. He later graduated from the Kellogg School of Business at Northwestern with a degree in marketing.

He has spent his working life in real estate, on everything from development to sales and marketing.

In the early 1990s, after Sears, Roebuck & Co. vacated the Sears Tower in downtown Chicago, he and others leased the 2 million square feet of space vacated by the retailer.

Earlier, he participated in the development of The Phoenician resort in Scottsdale, Ariz.

Murray, who is single, plays golf and enjoys most sports. His three sisters, a brother and his mother all still live in Chicago.

The VUE is expected to be completed in early 2007.

Archived