ARCHIVE: Downtown Orlando Master List

bobliocatt

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did sort of a skyline image of what the skyline will look like in three years with all the projects using a internet image. Its only the shapes of the buildings and NONE of the designs, just black blobs. :rofl:

But if anyone can post it Ill email it too you, or just give me advice on how to post it from "My Pictures" on here. Please keep it simple! :P

go to http://mywebpage.netscape.com/ and click on file manager, then type in your screen name and password if you dont have one create an account, its free. then click add new files, browse under file 1. then just go to my documents/my pictures, find the pic and press open. then on the netscape page press ok to "Are you ready to add these files to your web space?". you can then go back to the intial page of the netscape site and go to "browse my files. click on the image then copy the url at the top and paste it ehre under img. hope that was helpful

Maybe it is part of Kuhns project, just the beginning of it.  There is groundfloor retail.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With the 450' height cap it will be tough to double PTP on the block unless it sprouts out of the top of the garage later. I guess we'll know in about a month. Kuhn said he'd make an annoucement 60 days after PTP groundbreak which was Oct 27. So, Dec 26 should be the date.

Another annoucement I'm looking forward to is the NW corner of Orange and 50. Anyone know when they plan to announce plans for that? I'm full of questions but low on answers.

More questions ... Ajax stadium. I like the project but don't know how firm it is. Also, Central Park Apts is a beautiful buiding but no known developer. Both are the the FBBArch site.

alright here it is...

untitled.JPG

Now this pick is five years old, so you currently have The Waverly, Lynx, FAMU.

We also cant see in the image Orlando Towers, Preforming arts center, Possible midtown project, and Kuhns new projects, so I just put one hollow building In as infill. Going to work with Fireworks, and Paintshop Pro to make an actual nice looking skyline image with facades texture and all! Should be out in about a 2 to 3 weeks hopefully! This ones pretty bad, just thrown together in 2 seconds. -_-

Thanks Fruitcove for the help!

accatt2204,

Great work! If you do go back and work on it some more, would it be difficult to put the estimated date of completion somewhere near or in each projected development? If it would be a pain, or if you just think it's a dumb idea don't worry about it, but I think it would give people a nice idea of the timeframe we will see as we watch Orlando's skyline evolve.

Either way, great work and thanks for sharing.

orlando%20skyline%20new.JPGThats CNL 2 tower Under construction. Heres what Im working on Now. Ionly have The Ivanhoe and The Vue in right now, but heres what I got so far. I plan to add the completion dates. Its going to be hard to put 55 west in there. Im looking for a way to make the buildings look less "Cartoonish". Any suggestions to add to the look using MS Paint?

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/Glacatt220/o...skyline+new.JPG

Article From the Sentinel 12/9/04

Link To Article

Cameron Kuhn, who last year launched downtown Orlando's largest redevelopment project, said Wednesday that he plans an even bigger retail-office complex a few blocks away.

The new project could exceed 750,000 square feet of offices, stores, bars, restaurants and parking. It would encompass the block bounded by Jefferson Street on the north, Orange Avenue on the east, Washington Street on the south and a city parking lot on the west.

If it all comes together, the redevelopment would top Kuhn's project under way at Orange and Church Street, known as the Jaymont Block.

That $140 million project includes 389,000 square feet of condominium office space, 305 condominium apartments, retail space and a 12-screen theater.

It is the largest redevelopment project in the city to date and is scheduled for completion in 2006.

A source familiar with the new project, who for business reasons would discuss the project only if not identified, said the city may participate in the redevelopment's parking-garage component -- possibly a 12-story parking tower.

Kuhn could not be reached Wednesday to elaborate on the plans.

Frank Billingsley, executive director of the Downtown Development Board, also could not be reached for comment.

Multimillion-dollar deal

In a written statement, Kuhn said the new project is still in the preliminary design stages and is targeted for completion by 2008.

However, Kuhn has already purchased most of the block for about $16 million.

The acquisition of the former J.C. Penney building at Orange and Jefferson for $11.75 million was completed Wednesday.

The city's largest concentration of office space in a single existing development is SunTrust Center, with nearly 650,000 square feet in two buildings. The main tower is the region's tallest building, at 441 feet.

A number of businesses in the Orange Avenue block between Jefferson and Washington would be affected by Kuhn's project, including such popular nightspots as Scruffy Murphy's Irish Pub at 9 W. Washington St., The Corner Bar at Washington and Orange, Thee Grotto at 110 N. Orange and Alpha Bar at 102 N. Orange.

The source familiar with the project said some of the businesses might be asked whether they want to be incorporated into the new development.

'We're still open'

Breda Gleeson, a partner with Donnie Burke in Scruffy Murphy's and The Corner Bar, said rumors about the redevelopment have been around for weeks.

"We've had customers expecting the bulldozers any day," Gleeson said. "We're still open and hope to be for some time."

She said Kuhn has promised to keep them posted on how much time they'll have.

"We always knew this could happen," she said. "We've been on a month-to-month lease for 12 years."

Ferris Corlone, 28, a banker having an after-work beer at Scruffy Murphy's on Wednesday evening, said he hates to see downtown's older buildings replaced.

"I hate to see the old-school ambience of Orlando go away," said Corlone, who said he goes to Scruffy Murphy's a couple of times a month. "There's not that much of it, and it's running out."

James Franzese, 33, also a banker, said he will especially miss Scruffy Murphy's. The watering spot is his favorite Irish bar in Orlando, he said.

Kuhn's brief description of the project includes a tower of unspecified height with about 400,000 square feet of condominium office space and 100,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space atop the parking garage.

The source said a nearby lot owned by businessman Jerry Chicone is under contract to another, unnamed developer who is considering a condominium tower that could complement Kuhn's project.

A decade of redevelopment

Kuhn, originally from Chicago, has been developing projects in Orlando's city center for the past decade. He started in 1994 by buying dilapidated buildings and renovating them.

For the Jaymont project, the city provided $22.5 million in incentives because the blighted area was considered critical to downtown's revitalization.

Mayor Buddy Dyer said recently, however, that the incentive bank is empty.

Lincoln Property Co., which has proposed building a 27-story office tower at Magnolia Avenue and Washington Street, would get no incentives for that project.

Lincoln wants to buy that 0.68-acre site -- now a city parking lot -- for $2.2 million. The city has given tentative approval to the deal.

Orlando's downtown is in the midst of a residential-development boom, and commercial development is beginning to heat up.

CNL Financial Group, for example, has started construction on a 12-story, 291,000-square-foot center on the north side of City Hall on South Orange Avenue.

At least two other towers are planned by other developers.

Chris Cobbs of the Sentinel staff contributed to this report. Jack Snyder can be reached at 407-420-5094 or [email protected].

This sounds pretty big.  Does anyone have any pics of the older buildings that are going to be demolished?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kuhn has previously said he'd make an annoucement 60 days after the Premiere Trade Plaza Groundbreak. So, I'd expect something more offical about Dec 26. Hopefully that will have an artist's conception.

This sounds pretty big.  Does anyone have any pics of the older buildings that are going to be demolished?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did do a drive by a few weeks back and in my opinion, we aren't losing anything. Kuhn had talked about keeping facades, but I didn't see that block as having much worth saving. The old JCPenney is about the most undiscript, bland building I could imagine. I like the tan bricks in it so maybe they can reuse those bricks.

Archived