ARCHIVE: Downtown Orlando Master List

bobliocatt

FYI - the building that will be erected next door to the EO Inn in Thornton Park just got bigger. What will replace a deteriorated building will now be a 15 story midrise with approximately 36 units starting out in the $700k range. It will also house a pool/hot tub area above about 2 floors of parking. I should have drawings and floor plans by the beginning of Feb.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scheduled for the January 18, 2005 Municipal Planning Board meeting agenda is a request by Palace Orlando LLC to allow construction of a mixed-use development (residential and retail) consisting of two towers approximately 360 feet in height. The project is called "Orlando Palace" and is to be located on the east side of Legion Place, south of S. Ivanhoe Blvd. and north of N. Orange Ave. and consists of 1.56 acres.

With the applicant being Oliver Danan of the Danan Group, it is safe to say that the Orlando Towers project has been renamed Orlando Palace. Therefore, Orlando Towers/Palace will be approximately 360 feet tall.

What building is this? EO Inn = Panera Bread?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It must be the building that applied for the 55-foot height restriction to be removed at 17 Eola Dr. I checked it out a couple of weeks ago and it looked like a vacant 2-story brown building adjacent to Panera Bread.

It must be the building that applied for the 55-foot height restriction to be removed at 17 Eola Dr. I checked it out a couple of weeks ago and it looked like a vacant 2-story brown building adjacent to Panera Bread.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, this is exactly the spot. It is supposed to be a very retro styled building. I'll try posting it as soon as I get my hands on the plans.

off topic, but...

I was in central florida over the weekend and stopped for a quick walk around Lake Eola. I was really amazed. It had physical beauty, diversity, diversions, wildlife, great skylines views. Much different than when I was there 10 years ago. This has to be, by far, the best urban park in Florida if not the Southeast.

The Waverly looks awesome. Is that the thorton park area?

The Waverly looks awesome.  Is that the thorton park area?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Waverly is on the South side of Lake Eola. Fromally Thornton Park area is on the East Side of the lake and is centered about a block away from the lake, but many conside the south lake area as part of Thornton Park. The project called the Thornton Park mixed use ... the one with a publix grocery on the ground floor that should start later this year ... will basically be next door to the Waverly to the east of it.

The Vue will be accross the street on the NW corner of the lake with 350 ish units .. and you propabably saw the Sanctuary topped off a few block S of Waverly. So ... I agree, it's getting to be quite a nice little urban area that is just getting started. The only bad thing about Lake Eola Park is that it isn't bigger. Everyone wants to build near it.

I'm waiting on pins and needles for this one. I'd like to see how someone is going to smash in a high-rise on what is essentially a large single-family home site next to Panera and still pencil the project. The previous plans for this site were downright awful. :sick:

I did not hear about the project next to Panera Bread until today. It is awesome, always think that Eola Drive is under utilized. Hopefully, it will start ripple effect and turn the entire street in stores and restaurants.

Eola Park is a very beautiful park and it is very crowded most of the time.

off topic, but...

I was in central florida over the weekend and stopped for a quick walk around Lake Eola.  I was really amazed.  It had physical beauty, diversity, diversions, wildlife, great skylines views.  Much different than when I was there 10 years ago.  This has to be, by far, the best urban park in Florida if not the Southeast. 

The Waverly looks awesome.  Is that the thorton park area?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself, and your right about the park, its blossomed into a wonderful area these past few years. The Waverly is in "South Eola" which more and more is just being grouped into "Thornton Park" which is the area around Summerlin and Washington and East from there. Now that Thornton Park Central and Eola South Condos, Sanctuary, etc, aswell as the publix project underway right on Central Ave, its all pretty much connected at this point.

Hey if anybody gets the official heights for these projects, can you please post them here. I know that "Ivanhoe Apartments" will be twin 420 foot tall (38 stories) towers. I believe 55 West Church is at 396' at 31 stories unless it has been changed. You know sort of a height list of ALL proposed or under construction. Thanks

I'm waiting on pins and needles for this one.  I'd like to see how someone is going to smash in a high-rise on what is essentially a large single-family home site next to Panera and still pencil the project.  The previous plans for this site were downright awful. :sick:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, the design for this site will definitely be interesting. I just drove by there again to refresh my memory and it seems almost smaller than I previously thought now that I know it'll host a 15-story building. Regardless, whatever they come up with will most certainly have some of the best views of downtown Orlando-- unobstructed, across the lake, with views of the buildings of South Eola AND the CBD/Uptown. Also particularly desirable is its location on a quiet, brick-covered and tree-lined street, with its front door opening to Lake Eola Park. I'd be surprised if these residences are not more expensive than average.

On another note, it was nice to see the Premiere Trade Plaza crane up, and lots of construction work going on even at 9:00pm.

Yeah, the design for this site will definitely be interesting. I just drove by there again to refresh my memory and it seems almost smaller than I previously thought now that I know it'll host a 15-story building. Regardless, whatever they come up with will most certainly have some of the best views of downtown Orlando-- unobstructed, across the lake, with views of the buildings of South Eola AND the CBD/Uptown. Also particularly desirable is its location on a quiet, brick-covered and tree-lined street, with its front door opening to Lake Eola Park. I'd be surprised if these residences are not more expensive than average.

On another note, it was nice to see the Premiere Trade Plaza crane up, and lots of construction work going on even at 9:00pm.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I drove past downtown on I-4 this evening and I agree, it is nice to see an extra set of cranes dotting the downtown skyline.

I know this might be blasphemy, but I hope this new project isn't all that tall.

I like the feel of that street...it's dense, and very much urban, but without a lot of height. I think slapping a significantly taller building in the middle of that would mess with that feeling.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not blasphemy at all. I concur and have heard that from several others. Urban planning isn't about skylines. It's about what's going on at street level. Eola isn't that big a park and if you build high walls around all sides, it will only see sunshine at noon.

In my opinion, North Eola Drive should be no higher than 2-3 floors. South Eola Drive should top at about 6 on the east side and up to 18 on the west side (the Sanctuary). There has to be a transition for the single family homes east of Summerlin. 18 floors is about right until you go west of Rosalind. Constitution Green (aka, "South Eola Mixed Use") is a good transitional project on South Eola Drive. Summerlin, being more of a through traffic street can probably sustain about 3-4 floors on either side.

The "Eola on the Park" project next to Penera Bread doesn't seem to fit at all. The east end of Eola Park needs to stay low to blend in with the older Thornton Park neighbor hood.

Archived