The Rumor Mill

btoy

• 3 weeks later...

I hear that Ryan's Family Steakhouses may be preparing to sell to the owners of Old Country Buffet. Not sure how I feel about that, but obviously it would be a great loss to the Greenville metro. :unsure:

Old Country Buffet has been in Greenville (Verdae Marketfair) and Spartanburg before. They did moderately well and had better food. This was Verdae Marketfair's second best restaurant before disappearing without notice; Dollar General now occupies that space.

I think it would be nice to see Old Country Buffet and Ryan's come together.

Old Country Buffet has been in Greenville (Verdae Marketfair) and Spartanburg before. They did moderately well and had better food. This was Verdae Marketfair's second best restaurant before disappearing without notice; Dollar General now occupies that space.

I think it would be nice to see Old Country Buffet and Ryan's come together.

OCB was great when it first opened, but the quality really fell off over the years, IMO. Ryan's has made tremendous strides in the past several years, but one can only speculate what changes might be made if such a sale is completed. In any case, losing the headquarters of a national reastaurant chain would be quite sad, if they don't keep the offices here. Just have to wait and see how serious this rumor may be.

Every Fire Mountain I have ever been to is larger than every Ryans I have ever been too. And I have been to a lot of them unfortunately. The newer Ryans restaurants are larger. The older ones (which are by far more common, are small). You should visit some outside of Greenville to see what I mean.

Every Fire Mountain I have ever been to is larger than every Ryans I have ever been too. And I have been to a lot of them unfortunately. The newer Ryans restaurants are larger. The older ones (which are by far more common, are small). You should visit some outside of Greenville to see what I mean.

I have, and not only in this state. They have been a last-resort when nothing else was readily available to suit a small group. Seriously, most I have seen in the past few years have been the larger ones. That is one reason why I said they have been making great improvements in recent years. ;)

So the new 5-star hotel announcement (The Peacock Hotel & Spa) was a pleasant surprise to all of us, including those who have heard about other potential projects. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we still have a couple of projects on the horizon that have not been announced yet:

- btoy's rumor about a new South Carolina tallest in Greenville, that "WILL happen."

- GvilleSC's rumor about a new 20+ story mixed-use tower

- another Bob Ellis uptown/North Main project that will be "very worth the wait" according to email correspondence with g-man430

Plus, we have Pinnacle and Camperdown construction looming in the hopefully not-too-distant future. Does anyone have anything to add to these rumors, or any corrections or clarifications to what I posted?

Once again, it is an especially exciting time for Greenville. :thumbsup:

So the new 5-star hotel announcement (The Peacock Hotel & Spa) was a pleasant surprise to all of us, including those who have heard about other potential projects. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we still have a couple of projects on the horizon that have not been announced yet:

- btoy's rumor about a new South Carolina tallest in Greenville, that "WILL happen."

- GvilleSC's rumor about a new 20+ story mixed-use tower

- another Bob Ellis uptown/North Main project that will be "very worth the wait" according to email correspondence with g-man430

Plus, we have Pinnacle and Camperdown construction looming in the hopefully not-too-distant future. Does anyone have anything to add to these rumors, or any corrections or clarifications to what I posted?

Once again, it is an especially exciting time for Greenville. :thumbsup:

The btoy one and the Bob Ellis uptown one are the same project.

No... I'm starting to wonder if another company's proposal won... I think the Peacock's architects had a proposal going in to... I could live with another building like the Peacock. TAller of course :)

I'm sort of confused. Are you saying the peacock possibly beat out another proposal for that site?

Edited by g-man430

I'm sort of confused. Are you saying the peacock possibly beat out another proposal for that site?

It sounds like he is saying the Peacock builders had a proposal for the same site his proposal was on, and perhaps that company also won out on that site as well, since he could live with another one. I was sort of hoping for a 20 story building though.

oops, GvileSC beat me to it.

Edited by distortedlogic

It sounds like he is saying the Peacock builders had a proposal for the same site his proposal was on, and perhaps that company also won out on that site as well, since he could live with another one. I was sort of hoping for a 20 story building though.

oops, GvileSC beat me to it.

Well, their proposal could be for 30 stories! BUT HEY, I know nothing, I'm only saying, just because one proposal MAY be out, it doesn't mean another isn't taller... :thumbsup: