Louisiana Sports Talk

NCB

Awesome! What is the capacity now... 500,000? :D

Haha, I believe it will be somewhere around 95,000-96,000 when this renovation is done, and then eventually I think the idea of closing in the upper deck, which would increse the capacity to at least 125,000, will become a reality.

Haha, I believe it will be somewhere around 95,000-96,000 when this renovation is done, and then eventually I think the idea of closing in the upper deck, which would increse the capacity to at least 125,000, will become a reality.

Unbelievable. Not even New Orleans can touch that. That's simply impressive, and I'm certain Baton Rouge is proud of that gem.

TIIIIIGER BAAAAIT!!!

Unbelievable. Not even New Orleans can touch that.

And neither can every city in Louisiana that becomes smaller than Tiger Stadium when it feels to capacity fills up, which aside from 4 cities, is every city in the state. :lol:

Thanks for posting that pic ! That's the place to be on Saturday Nights !!! I really hadn't heard any serious talk about circling the upper-deck. That would make it the largest stadium in the country !!! I think Michigan(?), Notre Dame(?), Tennessee(108,000),and Rose Bowl(109,000) are the largest ?

Thanks for posting that pic ! That's the place to be on Saturday Nights !!! I really hadn't heard any serious talk about circling the upper-deck. That would make it the largest stadium in the country !!! I think Michigan(?), Notre Dame(?), Tennessee(108,000),and Rose Bowl(109,000) are the largest ?

I'm pretty sure Michigan currently has the largest in the country with a capacity of 111,000, but if LSU does move ahead it with a plan to enclose the upper-deck, the capacity would be far above 111,000. :thumbsup:

Thanks Nate,so Michigan hold's that title. I know Tennessee's Neyland Stadium packs them in like sardines. That stadium really doesn't look much bigger than Tiger Stadium.

In terms of overall size, I don't really think it is. The capacity for Neyland Stadium is 104,000, but like you said they are packed in very tightly. I know Tiger Stadium can probably be filled to at least 100,000, just because when the official capacity was listed as about 92,000, the record capacity was nearly 97,000. And that number had been posted multiple times.

I dug this video up on youtube as well. In case you guys aren't familiar with what's going on here, the video is from 1970, when the Saints beat the Lions on a game winning, 63 yard field goal by kicker Tom Dempsey. The guy literally had half of a foot because of disease, but still managed to be a great kicker in the NFL. The 63 yard field goal still stands as the longest field goal in NFL history today, 36 years later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6RHAfzV-oI...rleans%20Saints

Well, it appears that the search for a title sponsor to the Independence Bowl is taking a positive turn. From the following article, it sounds as though a worldwide company the bowl has been talking with for a couple of months now may be a candidate. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, because this bowl game is very important to Shreveport and north Louisiana as a whole.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NGNEWS/60705009

I have a question for you guys. Is there any ABA teams in Louisiana? I just found out today there are going to be two new ABA teams put in Arkansas next year. One being in my hometown. Just curious if we will be playing any teams down there.

I have a question for you guys. Is there any ABA teams in Louisiana? I just found out today there are going to be two new ABA teams put in Arkansas next year. One being in my hometown. Just curious if we will be playing any teams down there.

There's an ABA team in New Orleans.

Shreveport has had many minor-league basketball teams but they never last here. :angry:

Yeah I can understand that.

I really never realized just how many semi-pro sports teams we had in New Orleans. We have mutiple basketball teams that I had never heard of, soccer, football, and on and on. I've been trying to learn about and pay more attention to the smaller teams and leagues recently, however.

LOL wow... "largest roof job in American history." That's quite a distinction! Isn't ther Superdome the largest roof to begin with, Nate?

I'm pretty sure it's something like the largest ______ type of roof over an enclosed space in the world. A more complex word for solid, as opposed to a domed rood like the Georgia Dome in Atlanta.

Geez, look at the size of the guys working on the Superdome's roof, compared to the roof itself. They look like ants! :lol:

08domej1__2529092.jpg

Dome__2531149.jpg

Seriously though, I've got a lot of respect for these guys. They're up there working through the New Orleans heat and humidity, 27 stories up in the air, with nothing shielding them from the sunlight. And not to mention the dangers and hazards up there.

Awesome pic ! How did you find that ? They do look like ants. I can only imagine at that steep angle what it would be like walking down the slope of the dome, even with a harness that would be nerve wracking and a major adrenaline rush all at the same time ! I guess those guys are getting used to it ?

^That was in this morning's paper Richy, and it was an attachment on NOLA.com. I had some great pictures of my own of the workers on the Superdome's roof, but, that was before my computer crashed. Damn!