Louisiana Sports Talk

NCB

:yahoo: New Orleans is on the move, there's no stoppin' us. We're gonna have serious money coming in from those events.

I hope all of this keeps on going! :D But you can definately tell, the rebuilding process is really picking up speed now.

Reggie Bush will wear #25 this season for the Saints.

Article from the Times-Picayune

Saints veteran Fred McAfee agreed to give up the number for his rookie teammate in exchange for a charity donation on his behalf. Bush has pledged to donate 25 percent of all the money he receives from his jersey sales to Hurricane Katrina relief efforts. Half of that donation will be made to a charity of McAfee

Do you think the NFL should allow Reggie Bush to wear # 5 ??

They make exceptions for WR's # not in the 80's. I see # 19, # 11,etc.

Oh well # 25 it is. I think it's great for a long-time vet like Mc Afee to agree to that.

Goooo DOME !!! This is exciting ! To know the NFL is back with record ticket sales, a new Coach, QB, etc. is GREAT !!!

Will they ever re-configure the seating ? For people to get more bang for their $ buck.

Reggie Bush will wear #25 this season for the Saints.

Article from the Times-Picayune

Saints veteran Fred McAfee agreed to give up the number for his rookie teammate in exchange for a charity donation on his behalf. Bush has pledged to donate 25 percent of all the money he receives from his jersey sales to Hurricane Katrina relief efforts. Half of that donation will be made to a charity of McAfee

Edited by ironchapman

That's a great idea! Good job for Bush!

Yea I thought so too. He has literally been the most beloved person in New Orleans since he was drafted by the Saints. From donating brand new Hummers to the NOPD to donating over $100,000 to a christian school in New Orleans for disabled and mentaly retarded children that was on the brink of closing. He's a great guy. :D

It was officially announced today that Smoke Laval, the head coach of the LSU baseball team, whose team this year was the first LSU team to fail to make the postseason tournament for the first time in 18 years, has been fired, along with all of his assistants. AD and former head coach Skip Bertman, who lead LSU baseball to it's glory in the 90's, assured everyone that he will bring the best possible coaches at every position to LSU, and get the baseball program back to the national powerhouse that it truly is.

Yeah, this was not easy for AD Skip Bertman. Smoke was a good guy, you hate to see go, but he just wasn't getting the job done. The fact that his record in the CWS in Omaha was 0-4 also said something. LSU's last CWS Championship in 2000 seems so long ago now. It sure felt weird this weekend that Baton Rouge had no games going on for the regionals. I was in Houston/The Woodlands this weekend, and it was strange to look at the Sports page and not see LSU anywhere amongst all the scores.

Yeah, this was not easy for AD Skip Bertman. Smoke was a good guy, you hate to see go, but he just wasn't getting the job done. The fact that his record in the CWS in Omaha was 0-4 also said something. LSU's last CWS Championship in 2000 seems so long ago now. It sure felt weird this weekend that Baton Rouge had no games going on for the regionals. I was in Houston/The Woodlands this weekend, and it was strange to look at the Sports page and not see LSU anywhere amongst all the scores.

It was weird for me too. I'm also not used to seeing highlights of only Tulane baseball on the local news around this time of the year.

Birmingham News names LSU Football SEC's BEST ! They predict a showdown between LSU vs. Florida in SEC Championship Game

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?...0&ATCLID=290589

It's that TIME of the YEAR again !!! All the pre-season hype is here. Of course all these pre-season football rankings do not mean that much. It just cures some boredom during the long Summer months. Many of this years teams have ?question marks? headed into the 2006 season. Texas, USC, Ohio State, etc. And LSU as well.

Here's where some of the experts rank LSU headed into the 06' season: a little too high ? a little too low ? Somewhere in the middle ???

Sporting News and CollegeFootballNews.com rank the Tigers # 4

Lindy's ranks them # 10 (2nd in SEC West behind Auburn)

Athlon Sports ranks LSU # 11

LSU does have 4 tough road games this year that include: at Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, and Arkansas in Little Rock. So general consensus has LSU with a record of 9-3 or 10-2 ? Who knows ? GO TIGERS !!!

Edited by richyb83

• 4 weeks later...

LSU basketball star Tyrus Thomas was taken # 4 overall in the 1st round by the Trailblazers then traded to the Chicago BULLS ! I think that's a great team for him to go to. The Bulls are a up and coming team !

Great! I think he'll do very well with the Bulls too. A young team with all kinds of potential. Congrats to Tyrus Thomas!

LSU baseball hired their new head coach today. Dan Mainieri was the coach Notre Dame, he really turned that program around. He played baseball for LSU and UNO in the 70's. He was not my 1st choice, but Skip's the boss. I hope it works out for him; I believe the LSU fans demanding and unrealistic standards expecting World Series appearances every year may have turned some coaching candidates away. There is too much parity in college baseball now.

Edited by richyb83

LSU baseball hired their new head coach today. Dan Mainieri was the coach Notre Dame, he really turned that program around. He played baseball for LSU and UNO in the 70's. He was not my 1st choice, but Skip's the boss. I hope it works out for him; I believe the LSU fans demanding and unrealistic standards expecting World Series appearances every year may have turned some coaching candidates away. There is too much parity in college baseball now.

I hope Dan Mainieri is able to do a good job. And I hope he knows what he's getting into with LSU fans. We really don't accept anything less than perfection once we've gotten far. That's why I think there will be all kinds of pressure on John Brady when basketball season rolls around.

So true. Many fans would have already fired him befrore this year. In Brady's defense, when you have super-stars bolting early to the NBA three times in the past 5 years; Stromile Swift, Brandon Bass, and Tyrus Thomas. It makes things more difficult. They will be fun to watch again next season. They have 6'-5" transfer from Marquette who had to sit out named Dameon Mason who is a big-timer and have a major impact. I'm not sayin he's another Dewayne Wade, but good enough !

How about the great job Les Miles is doing with an 11-2 record after the Hurricanes nearly whiped out the season. Some people fail to realize LSU was without a bye week for 10 STRAIGHT WEEKS. They simply were low on gas by the time the SEC Championship Game was played in December. Thats why Georgia throttled them. The complaining average fan does not understand bec. more than likely they never played the sport. And the fans that booo their own home team is a slap in the face. Sorry to vent.

Most pre-season publications have them ranked anywhere from 4 to 13. Les looks like he will have to play ALL THREE QB's ! Some O-Lineman really need to step it up or Miles will be on the pressure-cooker.. I hope Alley Broussard's knee will be fine ? Keiland Williams can take some of the load for sure !

Edited by richyb83

So true. Many fans would have already fired him befrore this year. In Brady's defense, when you have super-stars bolting early to the NBA three times in the past 5 years; Stromile Swift, Brandon Bass, and Tyrus Thomas. It makes things more difficult. They will be fun to watch again next season. They have 6'-5" transfer from Marquette who had to sit out named Dameon Mason who is a big-timer and have a major impact. I'm not sayin he's another Dewayne Wade, but good enough !

How about the great job Les Miles is doing with an 11-2 record after the Hurricanes nearly whiped out the season. Some people fail to realize LSU was without a bye week for 10 STRAIGHT WEEKS. They simply were low on gas by the time the SEC Championship Game was played in December. Thats why Georgia throttled them. The complaining average fan does not understand bec. more than likely they never played the sport. And the fans that booo their own home team is a slap in the face. Sorry to vent.

Most pre-season publications have them ranked anywhere from 4 to 13. Les looks like he will have to play ALL THREE QB's ! Some O-Lineman really need to step it up or Miles will be on the pressure-cooker.. I hope Alley Broussard's knee will be fine ? Keiland Williams can take some of the load for sure !

Don't worry about venting Richy, I feel the same way. :D

And I'm expecting big things from the Tigers this year on the football field. If LSU plays to its full potential, we'll own the SEC this year. Auburn won't hang with us if we go in there in literally give 'em hell.

Here are some of the new renderings released for the new baseball stadium that will be built at Tulane University. Turchin Stadium flooded and was heavily damaged during Katrina, and rather than just simply renovating the aging stadium, Tulane stepped up with plans for a whole stadium. Tulane's baseball program is rated as one of the top college baseball programs year in and year out, and I'm glad to see the team and the fans will have a beatiful brand new stadium.

The new Turchin Stadium will seat around 6,000, and will be filled with new and upscale suites. :thumbsup:

turchinside-lg.jpg

turchinaerial-lg.jpg

turchinentrance-lg.jpg

Wow Nate, how did you do that. Posting renderings of Tulane's new stadium on two threads(NO Development and Sports) at the same time ?

I replied on development tread first. Very nice !

Haha, magic Richy...magic! :P

Just kidding, all I had to do was copy the post before I posted it in the New Orleans thread, and then once I posted it there, just paste it in this thread. And that's the recipe for posting two things in two threads at nearly the exact same time. :D

Here's a video showing one of the best dunks I have ever seen in college basketball. Look how high Tyrus Thomas jumps! It's just insane. And of course, if you keep watching, you'll see the game winning 3-ball Darrel Mitchell dropped that pushed the Tigers over Arkansas. :thumbsup:

It was quite a memorable year in LSU basketball! :D

Thanks for sharing that. Such good memories. To think Tyrus was redshirted last year and was not even a starter at the begining of the season. He could be called the human highlight film with all those dunks and blocked shots ! And the 5'-11" Darrel Mitchell was Mr. Clutch.

I was not able to view the youtube website last nite.

Peja is a good pick-up for the Hornets. A prolific outside shooter !

Edited by richyb83

Thanks for sharing that. Such good memories. To think Tyrus was redshirted last year and was not even a starter at the begining of the season.

You bet, at this time last year he was someone who wasn't even expected to get off of the bench much, now he's the #4 draft pick in the NBA. :blink: