The West End

gs3

Vegas style is right, yuck. I get the throwback vegas style but mixing it with a hotel name/logo I think pushes it too far. They should just pick one, the style or the name, having both at the same time kills the irony behind going retro vegas for me and just makes it look like a cheap motel sign.  I imagine it would be bright as heck too.  Tacky, makes me wonder who is behind the development.  What is the story with this place anyway? Its been sitting there seemingly ready to open for a long time.  It also looks like someone put some money into it too only to sit unused.

Ive been confused about this place too.... it looked as if it was unfitted for an opening of a bar/restaurant of sorts long ago then once completed just sat there.

• 3 weeks later...

Still nothing on M West. Bids went out back in September. I'm thinking it's dead. And don't even get me started on Markley Row and Stadium Apartments. Those two likely died months ago. Yep, i've got financing alright...or not: http://www.upstatebusinessjournal.com/news/stadium-apartments-construction-set-spring/

However, it does look like Trey Cole's project is moving forward. Lots of new survey stakes and spray paint markings on site. 

Edited by gman430

The Main at River, old Green Monster' project was approved by city council.

http://upstatebusinessjournal.com/news/south-main-river-gets-council-ok/  

It's unclear which proposed design they're reporting was approved of: the first or the second from the following application

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2014/DECEMBER/DesignReviewBoard/12-04-2014/CA-14-288-702SouthMainStreet.pdf

It's unclear which proposed design they're reporting was approved of: the first or the second from the following application

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2014/DECEMBER/DesignReviewBoard/12-04-2014/CA-14-288-702SouthMainStreet.pdf

Whoa - I don't remember seeing the updates. I hope it was the original design (as shown in the article). It also looks like the December submitted design looks to have much less residential.. maybe condos instead?

I was at the DRB hearing for this and more than one member of the committee made it clear that is the 2008 design were to come before them they would vote it down and they were very much against the mix of old and new.  More than one member spoke against trying to recreate the past and that architecture should be a reflection of the time in which it was built.

Just because a building represents the era in which it was built, doesn't mean it's good design to begin with.  Look at the Greenville News building.  Clearly modern for its time, it's pretty much universally hated now, and bound for demolition less than 50 years after being built. The current trend of lego block style architecture will similarly look dated and out of style in the same period of time.  I was also at that DRB meeting, and I would question several of the member's statements that architecture should be forward thinking, and never repeat the past.  Have they never heard of Greek revival or colonial revival architecture, or seen the current craftsman trend of many new neighborhoods today?  Plenty of public buildings and churches all around are using elements and forms of architecture that were used thousands of years ago. Sounds like the DRB could use a little education in architecture, rather than pushing their preference for the latest trend. 

Edited by sc smitty

All of his projects are very well kept secrets and move very quickly once they become public, i.e. Riverwalk and Rivers Edge. Maybe we will see a DRB application within the next few months?

As an outsider looking at the current economic climate, I would be surprised if Hughes decides to wait on this project.

Hopefully the second building at River and Broad will soon follow and that Centre Stage parking lot will "disappear."

The question becomes: what will the building be? If there's no parking component, then it would have to be apartments or office. If parking is included, would we see condos or a mixture of these?

The impact of the Greenville News redevelopment is certainly a possible factor to the mix of uses and time table.

• 2 weeks later...

The city is way larger than the actual boundary perceives it to be. Lots of people who come in to town wonder why the city limits are so lop-sided. I say it's partly the battle between special purpose districts and the annex laws. So cities have to fight that battle on two fronts. But I guess the city of Greenville has had some successful negotiations with a few of the neighboring districts. Now they only have to deal with the laws now. I think things will get better over time.

The added complication in Greenville's case is that the mill owners to the west of town didn't want to be annexed and pay higher taxes.  They wanted to run their own shows.  The only leverage city officials had was the water system and they just made deals with the mills for water supply.  

• 2 weeks later...