Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

37 minutes ago, whw53 said:

You might be spending too much time on UrbanPlanet when......OneDrive gives you a 'May Moments' photo collage and it's  literally all snips of renderings from planning docs. 

Screenshot 2023-06-28 191136.jpg

Love this!  We’ve got an “sickness,” but Richmond development is exciting to follow. Thank you for your service!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, whw53 said:

You might be spending too much time on UrbanPlanet when......OneDrive gives you a 'May Moments' photo collage and it's  literally all snips of renderings from planning docs. 

Screenshot 2023-06-28 191136.jpg

VERY cool! We definitely have an addition to all things RVA. Just imagine - mine goes back more than 50 years now - and no 12-step (or for that matter, 1,200-step) program in the world will break me of my RVA addiction.

1 hour ago, Child2021 said:

Richmond's fastest-growing demographic groups - Axios Richmond

I'm curious if the 1.4 M count was mistakenly put in there.

I doubt it was a mistake or typo - I think it depends on what sources of data are being used and deemed reliable. They could be rounding up if their data source was coming back with something like 1.365 million - hard to say. Mind you, I'm not saying it's necessarily "correct" - but neither do I believe it was mistakenly published as 1.4 million.

I know that Greater Richmond Partnership - I think either late last year or early this year - was in its publications showing metro RVA at 1.4 million.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

I doubt it was a mistake or typo - I think it depends on what sources of data are being used and deemed reliable. They could be rounding up if their data source was coming back with something like 1.365 million - hard to say. Mind you, I'm not saying it's necessarily "correct" - but neither do I believe it was mistakenly published as 1.4 million.

Didn't two counties get removed from the MSA this past census? (Or am I misremembering?) It could be that the numbers here retain those counties. At any rate, rounding may be playing a role here.

As an aside, taking into account only the two-year/2020-2022 population changes I see on the Wikipedia entry for all MSAs, and assuming just for the sake of argument that the rate of change is consistent for the decade (not a great assumption, of course), Greater Richmond is likely to remain 44th in overall population but end up within earshot of Milwaukee, like 20-30K or so. (But who knows. San Jose dropped >3% in that two-year period, but I'd expect some equilibrium. I don't expect an entire decade's worth of people saying, "I'm selling, moving to Arizona, and coming out way ahead." That's trendy now -- my aunt and uncle are considering it -- but I don't know if that's just a passing fad.)

36 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

Didn't two counties get removed from the MSA this past census? (Or am I misremembering?) It could be that the numbers here retain those counties. At any rate, rounding may be playing a role here.

As an aside, taking into account only the two-year/2020-2022 population changes I see on the Wikipedia entry for all MSAs, and assuming just for the sake of argument that the rate of change is consistent for the decade (not a great assumption, of course), Greater Richmond is likely to remain 44th in overall population but end up within earshot of Milwaukee, like 20-30K or so. (But who knows. San Jose dropped >3% in that two-year period, but I'd expect some equilibrium. I don't expect an entire decade's worth of people saying, "I'm selling, moving to Arizona, and coming out way ahead." That's trendy now -- my aunt and uncle are considering it -- but I don't know if that's just a passing fad.)

I can't remember but yeah, I do seem to recall there was some shift in the makeup on the RVA MSA - but I think the impact on population was not big by any stretch.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Child2021 said:

…Specifically regarding housing and retail.  Also, September will be when the announcements are made. 

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, eandslee said:

…Specifically regarding housing and retail.  Also, September will be when the announcements are made. 

Good. It's about time the city of Petersburg finally got some good news for a change. If anyone deserves a positive ground-breaking announcement from the state, it's the fine folks of Petersburg.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well THIS is certainly interesting! A central-city towing company? Engaging in criminal business practices? Nahhh... never happens... (In Chicago, Lincoln Park Towing has long been a known front for the Mafia...)

Will be interesting to see how THIS shakes out...

From WRIC-TV8 News:

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news/richmond/richmond-towing-company-served-warrant-after-police-investigation-into-reports-of-illegal-towing-and-overcharging/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

Do any of y'all get a bit miffed when RVA isn't included in stories about major cities?

This graph about the cell phone usage of downtowns compared to 2019 is fairly interesting. I would love to know what that number looks like for RVA.

Yes, I do. However, it all comes back to my age-old argument that SIZE MATTERS. And RVA just isn't big enough. While the metro is something like the 44th largest in the country, RVA city is something like 98th largest. The only way to get on these lists and included in these studies is for RVA to get a LOT bigger. I didn't take the time to look up the populations of what I suspect are the smallest cities on the list - but I guarantee you that with maybe only a couple of exceptions, EVERY city on this list is quite a bit larger in terms of population than is RVA. And unless and until RVA grows SIGNIFICANTLY (and sadly there are far too many denizens who want to "keep Richmond like it is" or "pump the brakes on growth" yada yada, we won't be included with these other cities in these studies - because we're not in their league.

It sucks - and it's changeable - but it won't happen overnight, particularly when our direct competitors are eating our lunch in terms of grabbing heavy-hitters (employment/job generating businesses) and large chunks of population and are growing at double, triple or more the rate at which RVA is growing.

• Like 1