Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Yes it is - it really is amazing.

How many times have y'all heard me say this over and over and over: THIS IS UNPRECEDENTED IN RICHMOND!!! At a minimum, it's unprecedented in my lifetime... even my parents' lifetimes - and my dad (may his memory be for a blessing) would have turned 100 last year and my mom would have been 97 as of this past March). 

I honestly never - EVER - thought I'd live to see the day RVA would be booming like this - to this level - and for it to be sustained like it is. Not in my wildest dreams did I think I'd ever see it in my lifetime.

To get any ONE of these venues built over the past 50-60 years would have been EPIC news on its own. But to get ALL FIVE - (arena, ballpark, amphitheater and two sports complexes (including the one with the rinks) in a span of roughly 3 to 5 years? THAT was the stuff that OTHER cities did. "REAL" cities. Not Richmond.

Only now - it IS US! We ARE doing this! Now ... NOW... it IS our turn!

And how amazing is it that we're saying this now -- SPECIFICALLY -- about one single category of projects? (Sports and/or entertainment public venues) ... whereas previously, when we've reflected on the unprecedented construction boom RVA has been enjoying now for several years, it was focused more broadly on the number of the projects, the size of the projects, the amount of residential development - again, all unprecedented to have SO MANY developments built, under construction, in the pipeline, planned, etc. for RVA - both city and metro.

And now we can add the unprecedented boom in public sports/entertainment venues to the list.

I'm blown away by it as well. 

Guys - promise me this is real - that we're not dreaming this.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

On 5/8/2023 at 1:49 PM, KJHburg said:

I was recently down in Tidewater area check out some of my photos of downtown Norfolk and Va Beach home of the Commonwealth's tallest building. Did not know Norfolk had a light rail line as I had not been there in the last 20 years.  The Town Center at Va Beach is their "downtown" but reminded me more of North Hills Midtown in Raleigh.  (it was easier for me to park in downtown Norfolk than in the Town Center of Va Beach)   Driving around Norfolk and Va Beach for a couple days I do feel there is more construction going on in Richmond area and that area is really not growing much now.  Unfortunately their huge MacArthur Center mall downtown Norfolk is dying a slow death and they have to come up with a plan to redevelop it.  Like what Norfolk did with their old VNB Nationsbank bank building downtown turning into apartments called ICON.   Both Richmond and Norfolk need new arenas and I know you know that.  

20230504_124512.jpg

20230504_143002.jpg

20230504_143216.jpg

20230504_165205.jpg

Thx for the pictures! Hopefully you enjoyed the visit. 

On 5/20/2023 at 8:03 AM, ancientcarpenter said:

Posted on Virginia subreddit. Thought it was worth sharing.

Why is Norfolk the only city losing population in VA?

va pop.jpg

You know, good question. In the last poulation count, many of us in Norfolk believe we got under counted. After all, of all the new apartment buildings going up, especially in our Downtown, we should not be losing any population. We dont really know why, but it seems we always get this under count treatment every time they do a census. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, mintscraft56 said:

Thx for the pictures! Hopefully you enjoyed the visit. 

You know, good question. In the last poulation count, many of us in Norfolk believe we got under counted. After all, of all the new apartment buildings going up, especially in our Downtown, we should not be losing any population. We dont really know why, but it seems we always get this under count treatment every time they do a census. 

I think we can make a good argument that EVERYONE was undercounted in the 2020 census, what with the pandemic and the tomfoolery taking place in the previous administration that, unfortunately, resulted in a surprisingly large miss, what with all of the logistical (and other) problems in actually taking/recording the census. I'm of the opinion that Richmond city was undercounted by possibly as many as roughly 7,000 residents (estimates had us at 233K in 2020 - and the "official" numbers came back at 226K.

Am thinking we'll see a correction/"true-up" in the 2030 census. The downside to that, however, is that while 2030 numbers would be more accurate, the 2020-to-2030 percentage of incremental growth will be skewed (in this case, too high).

Either way...

• Like 2

Got some great news, in three segments. 

1. Looks like construction for the new George Wythe High School could start mid-late summer, If everything goes all correctly. 

2.  There's been tons of infill going on in the Swansboro neighborhood, and other Southside neighborhoods some of which resemble row-homes. 

3. I got an email from St. Paul's Baptist church about their "city of possibility" and its having a logo design contest, which could signal only one thing after all of these years. 

Links/Pictures:

Starting date nears to replace George Wythe | Richmond Free Press | Serving the African American Community in Richmond, VA

image.png

Also, there's a big blue crane at the VA Hospital.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Child2021 said:

Got some great news, in three segments. 

1. Looks like construction for the new George Wythe High School could start mid-late summer, If everything goes all correctly. 

2.  There's been tons of infill going on in the Swansboro neighborhood, and other Southside neighborhoods some of which resemble row-homes. 

3. I got an email from St. Paul's Baptist church about their "city of possibility" and its having a logo design contest, which could signal only one thing after all of these years. 

Links/Pictures:

Starting date nears to replace George Wythe | Richmond Free Press | Serving the African American Community in Richmond, VA

image.png

Also, there's a big blue crane at the VA Hospital.

Great stuff, @Child2021!

Regarding all the new development in Swansboro - any chance we could get um... image.jpeg.0be9ebb8e4bb28889e56e2fead5b4be5.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brent114 said:

What’s more eye roll worthy is that Richmond so closely keeps tabs on those metros.  Who cares what they are doing? 

Well, keeping tabs on what they’re doing is a good metric for how Richmond is doing. Similar size metros and same area of the country (mid-Atlantic).  We can’t exist is a vacuum - we should care how we stack up against peer southern cities.  It’s a way to identify where we might need to add more focus and where we have a little more wiggle room.  Let’s face it…they’re landing all the best quality of life accolades, they’re landing some big employers  (Apple for example).  I think Richmond is better or can be better than them…WE need the national attention, not them. Richmond is making good strides (like you said, we are doing much better than many larger metros in the country), but let’s not settle for 15th place…or even second place (second place is just the first loser).  Need to follow the motto of the city and shoot for the stars!  We’re getting there…slower than I’d like, but getting there nevertheless. 

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Explosive growth can come with serious drawbacks if not properly dealt with, like overcrowding in schools, traffic, and overall lost to quality of life. To also add on, it also risks creating a nimbyist reactionary movement, which would really slow things down. I think as a region we should aim for 2% annual growth, rather than 3% or 4%. 

The thing that I'm paying attention to is Chesterfield county as local elections begin, the Magnolia coalition seems hellbent on slowing growth overall, if they dont get simple issues solved.

• Like 3

This chart adds in the growth rates for Bristol and metros in North Carolina. (The purple circle under Virginia Beach is for Greensboro, North Carolina). Courtesy of Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.

slide5a.png?resize=752%2C593&ssl=1

This is kind of surprising, since the 1 year growth for the Metro seems to be on par with famously mentioned neighbors to the south. We are doing great state wise. 

Link to the Article:   Lynchburg has the slowest economic growth of any metro area in Virginia. Here's why. - Cardinal News

This is for population by the way. 

• Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Child2021 said:

slide5a.png?resize=752%2C593&ssl=1

This is kind of surprising, since the 1 year growth for the Metro seems to be on par with famously mentioned neighbors to the south. We are doing great state wise. 

Link to the Article:   Lynchburg has the slowest economic growth of any metro area in Virginia. Here's why. - Cardinal News

This is for population by the way. 

This is great, thanks for sharing. What is so "hot" about Winchester VA?

9 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

A lot of DC workers are moving there for cheaper housing as they often times only have to go in 1-2 days per week and work remotely the rest of the days. Sort of the same reason those same workers are moving to Richmond in droves. 

• Like 4

Locals:  if you are available on 24 June, jump on this - it’s FREE!

City Center Tour

Curious about what's happening in downtown Richmond? Want to learn more about the history, design, development deals and potential future of the area? 

Join our walking tour of City Center on Saturday, June 24 from 10 am - 12 pm!

Register here:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/city-center-tour-tickets-616725441397

• Like 2

On 6/12/2023 at 10:14 AM, ancientcarpenter said:

They are moving all up and down the valley where I live. Stuff popping up all over from where I live in Strasburg va to Winchester all the way to clear Brook va. My wife and I see it taking off up here within the next decade or so. It’s cheaper cost of living. I drive to leesburg by route 7 for work. So it’s really a very reasonable drive for a lot of people. Mannasas is only an hour a some change Woodbridge is an hour and 30 min from me. I see the Shenandoah valley exploding with growth not too far down the road. It’s cheaper here. My wife and I will be moving to the southern tip of Frederick county and Winchester within the next year or two as we wait for our house to be finished with an expansion. My wife’s families farm is part of a conservation easement. Most people are putting solar panels on the farms to keep from homes being built on it. We are having the same thing done as well. Fourth high school is being talked about here in Frederick county too. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

Apropos of nothing, but Richmond Biz Sense used to have some of the more readable story comments - back when it was a few commenters who stayed on topic. Those days appear to be gone, however. (Fwiw, I only lurk and never comment there.)

IKR?   I'm guessing you're referring (in particular) to the devolution of the commentary about the Shamin purchase of the Hardee's site in Scott's, yes? OMG - that turned into a cluster-you-know-what. WOW. A few of the commenters in the thread have posted some rather "interesting" responses to other stories in RBS (mainly kvetching about parking, kvetching about the city growing, yada yada) - but typically it doesn't devolve and just totally go off the rails like the comments to the Hardee's site story did.

That was just unreal.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...