Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

On 12/20/2023 at 8:05 AM, eandslee said:

Richmond HAS TO, HAS TO land some big employers to accelerate its growth!

I think this is key. However, I think an integral part of it is that the employer have positions in Richmond, not Chesterfield/Henrico. 

People who work all the way out in Chesterfield/Henrico don't want to live in a tall building downtown with expensive parking.

Anecdotally, my friends who work in Downtown, The Fan, Scott's Addition, and Manchester also live in one of those same neighborhoods. My friends who work in West Creek live in Powhatan, Goochland, and Midlothian and haven't even been in Downtown proper in years.

I know many people think rising tide lifts all boats. But it's hard for Richmond to grow UP if it is sprawling out instead.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, RiverYuppy said:

I think this is key. However, I think an integral part of it is that the employer have positions in Richmond, not Chesterfield/Henrico. 

People who work all the way out in Chesterfield/Henrico don't want to live in a tall building downtown with expensive parking.

Anecdotally, my friends who work in Downtown, The Fan, Scott's Addition, and Manchester also live in one of those same neighborhoods. My friends who work in West Creek live in Powhatan, Goochland, and Midlothian and haven't even been in Downtown proper in years.

I know many people think rising tide lifts all boats. But it's hard for Richmond to grow UP if it is sprawling out instead.

Of course, luring a "Big Fish" downtown would be the #1 option/best case scenario, but if that does not or cannot happen, I'll take a "Big Fish" in the burbs all day long.  It's all about propping up the Metro as a whole, but I agree with you - the best would be to land a big one smack dab downtown Richmond - FOR SURE!

• Like 2

I’m putting this here because I can’t seem to find a better thread that works better. This article in Virginia Business addresses a survey of Virginia and national construction firms and the issues they faced this past year and what they expect for 2024.  The cause of why projects in Richmond have started, are postponed, or cancelled can be explained in this article. Seems that inflation has been a major reason why projects have been delayed or cancelled, but there are other reasons too, such as: supply chain issues (yep, still a thing!), high interest rates, and being able to hire workers.  Check it out - very interesting:

https://www.virginiabusiness.com/article/construction-firms-expect-mixed-bag-for-2024-survey-says/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think a 600ft tower would be perfect somewhere like where the dominion tower was at, and maybe add more meager towers in the parking areas of Monroe ward. I will say it's still a good skyline, but there is room for more improvement. 

• Like 4

IMHO, best shots are always ground-level, or a little above it, from basically the vantage point of the Potterfield Bridge. (There is, however, a photo series of all the cities with federal circuit courts, and Richmond's is a night-time shot basically overlooking the Manchester Bridge with the lights of bridge traffic set against the buildings in the background. It's a great shot. Not sure where you can find it online.)

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Child2021 said:

I think a 600ft tower would be perfect somewhere like where the dominion tower was at, and maybe add more meager towers in the parking areas of Monroe ward. I will say it's still a good skyline, but there is room for more improvement. 

Agreed! Would SOOO love to see a 600-footer (or even taller!) next to the current Dominion building - where the old OJRP used to sit (and now there's just a big dirt patch). That would be THE PERFECT place for a signature skyscraper.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Shakman said:

Yes yay!  It indicates population is growing in the 804 area code.

image.png.90ad66148e38dd839b806f07b7d8434e.png!!! Zacktly!!! 

Now - WRIC-TV8 News had an update to this yesterday. HOWEVER - the way it's written, it's not clear whether the new 686 area code WILL or WILL NOT specifically cover metro Richmond.

The new area code will cover several parts of Central Virginia and the Northern Neck. While many areas will be affected, some of the major nearby areas, including:

The new area code will cover several parts of Central Virginia and the Northern Neck. While many areas will be affected, some of the major nearby areas, including:

• The City of Richmond
  • The City of Petersburg
  • The Town of Ashland
  • Charles City County
  • Chesterfield County
  • Henrico County
  • New Kent County

The way this was written isn't clear. Either way - here's the update from WRIC-TV 8 News:

https://www.wric.com/news/virginia-news/when-can-virginians-expect-the-804-area-code-to-change-to-686/#:~:text=In Nov. 2022%2C the SCC,Virginia and the Northern Neck.

8 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Now - WRIC-TV8 News had an update to this yesterday. HOWEVER - the way it's written, it's not clear whether the new 686 area code WILL or WILL NOT specifically cover metro Richmond.

It will. 

Incidentally, I would not try to glean 100% coherence out of anything on our local TV station's websites. The quality of every station's news reporting has gone down. WTVR probably has the highest standard these days, and WWBT, which used to set the gold standard, is probably the worst now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Flood Zone said:

It will. 

Incidentally, I would not try to glean 100% coherence out of anything on our local TV station's websites. The quality of every station's news reporting has gone down. WTVR probably has the highest standard these days, and WWBT, which used to set the gold standard, is probably the worst now.

Thanks, @Flood Zonefor the clarification on the coverage inclusion.

Oh - and   image.png.aa70ad0fcad378b192b7d46adef29092.png % fully agreed on the quality of the written reporting of the local TV news ops. As a former Associated Press reporter, the general lack of good journalistic writing on the part of TV news field reporters who write copy for web publication is absolutely appalling to me. It's not the fault of the kids doing the reporting - it stems from how most undergrad Mass Comm degree programs are structured. While freshman year 101 courses CAN include a mix of "writing for print", "writing for broadcast", "marketing", "advertising", etc. classes, generally speaking by the time sophomore year rolls around, those particular specialties begin getting separated out into their specific buckets - and the track tends to focus increasingly (and almost exclusively) on the specificity of what is applicable to that given specialty. It was this way when I was in undergrad 40 years ago - and really, there's no incentive (or need for that matter) for it to change. It's the nature of the beast.

And as all of us know - the school of "real life" tends to teach us many things that no university curriculum can reasonably account for. Personal case-in-point: my track in undergrad (for my B.A.) was print journalism. There was minimal focus on writing for broadcast. It wasn't until I was working for the AP that I actually learned the correct way to write for broadcast. It's a completely different style than writing for newspapers or the wire service. Heck, even writing for magazines/periodicals is completely different than straight-up news writing.

So - I don't blame the reporters. But the overall lack of quality writing does make my teeth hurt pretty frequently.

As for TV news ops - fully agreed with you, @Flood Zone-- just from what I see online, it does look like WWBT has fallen off from their previous perch in terms of superior quality reporting. (Where are Gene Cox and Sabrina Squires when you need them? And yes, I realize I'm REALLY dating myself now.) WTVR has taken that mantle. WRIC... dunno.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 1:34 PM, Child2021 said:

Richmond, 1977 #Richmond #OldRichmond #Skyline | Skyline, Paris skyline ...

Downtown Richmond, 1977.

Richmond, 1985 | Richmond, Photo, City photo

Richmond 1986 | Richmond virginia, Richmond, Virginia

I am remiss, @Child2021-- I meant to polish up a new piece of prestigious RVA/UP Silver Hardware for you for digging up these great finds - especially the older post cards and photos.  Mazal Tov!!! Well done!

These old, historical pictures all bring back a ton of wonderful RVA memories for me. The first photo, in particular. In 1977, I was 15 years old, a frosh in HS (in the fall of '77) - and I vividly recall the Fed building being constructed. If you look closely in the picture, you can see that the site of the OJRP is also being excavated, since that tower went up about a year behind the Fed building in the construction cycle. There was definitely overlap of the two buildings being constructed.

Also note - this was four years before the Monroe tower was built. Hard to tell from the photo if the Monroe building site was also being prepped for construction. I don't think it was at that time.

Also interesting to note: this was a few years before the Truist (formerly Crestar/formerly UVB) building was constructed, and the entire James Center area was nothing but a sea of parking lots that put Monroe Ward to shame.

Wow - RVA's skyline has grown quite dramatically over the past 47 years - and when the CoStar building is complete, the difference will be even more stunning.

image.png.0eb55065f3ffdf7d79cf50bde39ef596.png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2024 at 1:05 PM, I miss RVA said:

Thanks, @Flood Zonefor the clarification on the coverage inclusion.

Oh - and   image.png.aa70ad0fcad378b192b7d46adef29092.png % fully agreed on the quality of the written reporting of the local TV news ops. As a former Associated Press reporter, the general lack of good journalistic writing on the part of TV news field reporters who write copy for web publication is absolutely appalling to me. It's not the fault of the kids doing the reporting - it stems from how most undergrad Mass Comm degree programs are structured. While freshman year 101 courses CAN include a mix of "writing for print", "writing for broadcast", "marketing", "advertising", etc. classes, generally speaking by the time sophomore year rolls around, those particular specialties begin getting separated out into their specific buckets - and the track tends to focus increasingly (and almost exclusively) on the specificity of what is applicable to that given specialty. It was this way when I was in undergrad 40 years ago - and really, there's no incentive (or need for that matter) for it to change. It's the nature of the beast.

And as all of us know - the school of "real life" tends to teach us many things that no university curriculum can reasonably account for. Personal case-in-point: my track in undergrad (for my B.A.) was print journalism. There was minimal focus on writing for broadcast. It wasn't until I was working for the AP that I actually learned the correct way to write for broadcast. It's a completely different style than writing for newspapers or the wire service. Heck, even writing for magazines/periodicals is completely different than straight-up news writing.

So - I don't blame the reporters. But the overall lack of quality writing does make my teeth hurt pretty frequently.

As for TV news ops - fully agreed with you, @Flood Zone-- just from what I see online, it does look like WWBT has fallen off from their previous perch in terms of superior quality reporting. (Where are Gene Cox and Sabrina Squires when you need them? And yes, I realize I'm REALLY dating myself now.) WTVR has taken that mantle. WRIC... dunno.

As someone who knows very little about journalism what is the issue nowadays with media tv, news  papers, internet etc? Is it how those classes are being taught? Is it sheer laziness? Is it corporate on journalist now more than ever where they can’t get good journalism out of the hem anymore? What is it? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Downtowner said:

As someone who knows very little about journalism what is the issue nowadays with media tv, news  papers, internet etc? Is it how those classes are being taught? Is it sheer laziness? Is it corporate on journalist now more than ever where they can’t get good journalism out of the hem anymore? What is it? 

It stems from how course tracks are put together. The farther along you get in undergrad, the most focused an individual track becomes. So the requisite skills for writing for print is not a front-burner course once, for example, a broadcast major gets far along in the broadcast track. And vice-versa -- the skills necessary to talk on the radio or on television or online in a live stream or podcast really don't apply to someone on a track that is specifically geared toward the print media. Mind you - it's been 40 years since I've been in undergrad and I'm sure that with the evolution of modern media/social media, etc., there HAS to be some crossover between course tracks. A more recent graduate could speak much more authoritatively to how curriculums are shaped nowadays vs 40 years ago.

I'd argue it's not laziness - and corporate media influence really isn't an issue. It's what a given journalist is trained to do. As I mentioned previously - my track was a print journalism track - which meant, learning the requisite skills of writing for newspapers and the wire service. It wasn't until I was a reporter for the AP that I learned the correct way to write for broadcast. That skill was glossed over in undergrad because it simply didn't fit in the track I was on. It's just the nature of the beast - which is why I don't blame the young men and women who are professional reporters now. Command of the written word often entails adhering to a specific style - and unless one is properly trained in the requisite skills of various styles of writing (meaning, for newspapers/wire service vs magazines vs broadcast vs social media, etc.) it's not a given that someone who received a B.A. in broadcast journalism who works for a TV or radio news operation and writes copy for broadcast can just pivot on a dime and write copy that's more suitable for print. I tend to think that a lot of basics end up falling through the cracks when one crosses over -- because these are acquired skills that can't just be interchanged "at will" without proper training.

Idk of that makes sense - but I hope it helps explain it some.

Edited by I miss RVA

On 1/21/2024 at 12:20 AM, I miss RVA said:

As I mentioned previously - my track was a print journalism track - which meant, learning the requisite skills of writing for newspapers and the wire service. It wasn't until I was a reporter for the AP that I learned the correct way to write for broadcast. That skill was glossed over in undergrad because it simply didn't fit in the track I was on.

Fascinating.

I spent one year as a journalism major (wanted to be a sports writer), but ended up with a different major due to a program split and how my scholarship was funded. I did write for some small DC publications, but that was no way to make a living so I went in another direction! 

• Like 2