Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

28 minutes ago, Child2021 said:

Interesting the comments from those who object to this project.

“This would never happen in Short Pump,” Lisa Walker, the vice president of the Northern Henrico Civic Association, said.

Are the locals NIMBYing over having ANY development? Or just the low-income component of it? (I honestly can't imagine anyone being overly weirded out about the complex utilizing solar power - though i think it would HAVE to be hooked up to the grid as a backup, if nothing else.)

So what exactly do they want there? The Days Inn has already been long-since demolished and the property is pretty desolate and an eyesore in its current condition. Better to have a residential development and bring some activity there. An abandoned lot that's fenced off doesn't inspire me from the standpoint of public safety.

Check out some of the drone shots from the TV8 News story. This is what it looks like today.

I'd be flabbergasted if the locals want the property to remain like this.

Screenshot (131).png

Screenshot (133).png

Screenshot (132).png

Screenshot (134).png

Edited by I miss RVA

7 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

The point was that the local person was pushing for a more commercial development instead of a residential development, and the market demand for commercial development is much more robust in Short Pump than this location.

Also, I don't think we can reasonably overlook the fact that due to the socio-economic dynamics in place in Short Pump (not to mention land values), "low income" development simply doesn't happen in high-rent districts in the far western suburbs.  So regardless of what we think about her position (which, personally, I find lamentable (and I'm being charitable here)), from a purely "factual" standpoint, she's right. A development like this (that includes housing for low-income residents) likely would not be built on the high-dollar properties of Short Pump.

Edited by I miss RVA

I do wish that the solar panels were on the roof instead of taking up developable land.  Isolating low-income communities can have its own problems and a giant field of solar panels will serve to do that.

What would be good for the city would be if low-income housing did go to places with tons of working class jobs like Short Pump. Short Pump Mall alone probably has more working class jobs than there are in a 2 mile radius of this development. 

We should be putting low-income housing in areas where there are good schools and a plethora of working class jobs. Instead we pile them in the places with the worst schools, least jobs, worst environment, etc.

So it's a shame this wouldn't happen in Short Pump.

• Like 3

I agree with your sentiment. 
Allow poor people to live in places where they don’t have to be poor forever. 

People in Norfolk, for example, are trying to move the housing projects out of St Paul’s Quadrant.  The area was developed with housing projects back when downtown was dead.  The city moved a bunch of people into an economically depressed area.  Fast forward 50 years and now the surrounding areas actually have jobs and opportunities (within walking distance, so no need for cars or to pay tolls)…so of course there is a push  to move the poorer people out of there, farther away from  employment opportunities. 
it’s all so backwards. 

Edited by Brent114
  • Like 2

On 4/19/2023 at 11:21 AM, Brent114 said:

I agree with your sentiment. 
Allow poor people to live in places where they don’t have to be poor forever. 

People in Norfolk, for example, are trying to move the housing projects out of St Paul’s Quadrant.  The area was developed with housing projects back when downtown was dead.  The city moved a bunch of people into an economically depressed area.  Fast forward 50 years and now the surrounding areas actually have jobs and opportunities (within walking distance, so no need for cars or to pay tolls)…so of course there is a push  to move the poorer people out of there, farther away from  employment opportunities. 
it’s all so backwards. 

True, however in the defense of some of that decision, the original Project housing built around our downtown was low quality and horribly designed, much out of racisim.  We want to revitalize the area. The whole St. Pauls Quadrant is run down. As im speaking, we have already moved everyone out and totally demolished the project housing  and are rebuilding offices, parks, and apartments over them. I also want to inform you that the people who were there have the option to come back after the apartments are built. 

Edited by mintscraft56
  • Like 2

Richmond UP Meet-up Participants:

The weather is showing a chance for strong thunderstorms starting at about noon tomorrow.  Our meet-up time is 10:00am. We might get a little sightseeing time in before the bottom drops out, but wanted to get your thoughts:

Should we postpone this meet-up to a different Saturday (new date TBD) or should we just press and take a chance?

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Richmond UP Meet-up Participants:

The weather is showing a chance for strong thunderstorms starting at about noon tomorrow.  Our meet-up time is 10:00am. We might get a little sightseeing time in before the bottom drops out, but wanted to get your thoughts:

Should we postpone this meet-up to a different Saturday (new date TBD) or should we just press and take a chance?

I’d like to postpone, not just for the rain, also, the 10k. I forgot how popular this thing is and draws thousands, plus it hasn’t happened since before Covid and even more are ready to get out to do it, watch it, which will be stress on the areas we’re trying to go. There are reroutes of bus lines, the pulse as well, add to that rain, potential for heavy, I was already likely not going, just seemed like too much to deal with that could take away from the intent. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hike said:

I’d like to postpone, not just for the rain, also, the 10k. I forgot how popular this thing is and draws thousands, plus it hasn’t happened since before Covid and even more are ready to get out to do it, watch it, which will be stress on the areas we’re trying to go. There are reroutes of bus lines, the pulse as well, add to that rain, potential for heavy, I was already likely not going, just seemed like too much to deal with that could take away from the intent. 

@HikeI was thinking the same thing.  Good feedback. Just want to hear from a few others before I make any official decision.  Thanks!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, eandslee said:

@HikeI was thinking the same thing.  Good feedback. Just want to hear from a few others before I make any official decision.  Thanks!

The 10k run is more problem than I imagined, it says 40,000 participants plus the viewers, just too much and the rain after lunch is a problem for me. We need just a boring, nothing going on, average day to do this, I also think the pulse will be packed.

IMG_1582.jpeg

Edited by Hike
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Hike said:

The 10k run is more problem than I imagined, it says 40,000 participants plus the viewers, just too much and the rain after lunch is a problem for me. We need just a boring, nothing going on, average day to do this, I also think the pulse will be packed.

IMG_1582.jpeg

You’re right. I thought it was going to be an average nothing day when I first picked the day and then I realized it was the same day as the 10K.

Okay, I feel the same as you @Hike.  Let’s just postpone this outing to another date that we will pick soon that should be better for us to get together.  I apologize folks. With the weather turning sour and with big race going on, this is a recipe for disaster for our meet-up. 

So, bottom line: the Richmond UP Meet-up is officially postponed to another date TBD.  

I’m still looking forward to meeting everyone, but it will be better if we do it in a different day.

Please spread the word. I don’t want anyone showing up who didn’t get the message. 

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 3

Even though I'm not able to fly in at this time to join the fun, postponing -- given the circumstances -- is the smart move. Seems like too many outside elements are converging, the impact of which will probably kibosh much of what would make the get-together enjoyable. Good call to push back to another date. 👍

• Like 2

Thanks for postponing. 

I was going to power though but getting to Willow lawn was going to suck.  I had planned on walking from Manchester to the Main Street Station Pulse stop, then taking it to Willow Lawn.  I’m not sure if Broad would have even been open in time to take the Pulse.   This morning  I accepted that I’d just walk all the way to Willow Lawn (seeing as how our itinerary had us ending near my home in Manchester, I didn’t want to have a vehicle  up at Willow Lawn…but that’s just a me problem lol). 

Let’s reschedule soon.  These things have a way of never happening once the first plan gets derailed :) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Brent114 said:

Thanks for postponing. 

I was going to power though but getting to Willow lawn was going to suck.  I had planned on walking from Manchester to the Main Street Station Pulse stop, then taking it to Willow Lawn.  I’m not sure if Broad would have even been open in time to take the Pulse.   This morning  I accepted that I’d just walk all the way to Willow Lawn (seeing as how our itinerary had us ending near my home in Manchester, I didn’t want to have a vehicle  up at Willow Lawn…but that’s just a me problem lol). 

Let’s reschedule soon.  These things have a way of never happening once the first plan gets derailed :) 

Glad this seems to be working out for everyone.  We'll definitely reschedule soon.  I just need to look at the calendar to see when there will be a good Saturday when nothing is going on...at least nothing during the day.  We've entered festival season and there will be a festival most Saturdays through the summer, but we'll find one that works.  Thanks for being committed though!  You are to be commended for trying to make it happen no matter what!  :good:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Brent114 said:

Thanks for postponing. 

Here's where we need a north-south PULSE line that goes through lower Manchester. Imagine being able to take the PULSE "Hull Street Line" (or a color - say, "the Blue Line") to the Main Street Station stop and then transferring to the Broad Street Line (or, say, the Red Line"). How cool would that be!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, marinog711 said:

This was my fear - that someone was not going to get the news that we postponed due to the weather and the unanticipated craziness the 10K would have caused. So sorry if you showed up and didn’t get the word!  We do plan to reschedule for a date TBD, but soon.