Louisiana | Photo of the Day

NCB

Believe it or not, this is a house in Shreveport. It's not every day you see a house with a mural painted on it, but this house definitely has it. There is more on the other side but I didn't want to try and get that shot and have the people wondering why I was taking a photo of their house. This home is a lakefront property on Cross Lake.

157628935.jpg

Interesting Brian. I wonder if this house is based on anything. Just in case you didn't know what the German on the house said, it basically can be translated to House on the Lake.

Wow, I didn't realize that. I figured it was written in French since this is Louisiana. And I even took French many, many years ago... shows how much I recall! :D

Maybe the people are German and this is their way of feeling at home. Different, though, that's for sure.

I have a friend from Stuttgart, Arkansas who is of German ancestry. There seem to be quite a few German people in Arkansas.

Yeah that's it, that's where I was born. Still have some relatives there too. There may be some people with German ancestry in Arkansas but I don't think it's close to the people with British ancestry. I don't think we are too close to having the German levels that the midwest has. Actually that reminds me I have a map that I actually found in another topic here on UP a while back ago that deals with this.

us112b9vz.gif

Isn't Stuggart also a city in Germany ? That's pretty cool.

There is a tiny place in Louisiana SW of Hammond called Hungarian Settlement.

Yeah the people who settled Stuttgart were from the same city in Germany. You still have people who have German ancestry in the area. But it's really lost any German 'feel' it had long ago. On Arkansas standards it's a somewhat sizeable city. So it certainly has plenty of people with no German ancestry.

Nice pic there. Palm Trees are the best ! That could pass for Boca Raton. Wow , it actually looked like it just rained there. I forgot what a wet street looked like.

That photo was taken either on Saturday or Sunday (I can't remember which day specifically) when we got some very much-needed rain. Wow it was nice... I hope you guys are able to get some soon as well. We got some pretty big storms that did some damage, but we needed them.

That photo was taken in the Stonebridge golf course subdivision in north Bossier City.

Nice shot, Richy.

SBC, check this out next time you're in downtown BR and have the time. I left the tour with much respect for the crew after seeing their living conditions. Cramped! Rooms no larger than 1600sq. had over 100 beds (triple-bunked). Showers limited to 30 seconds. I won't ruin it for you--there is much more. Watch your head if you're over 6ft tall. I'm 6'4 and ducked my way through the tour.

Nice shot, Richy.

SBC, check this out next time you're in downtown BR and have the time. I left the tour with much respect for the crew after seeing their living conditions. Cramped! Rooms no larger than 1600sq. had over 100 beds (triple-bunked). Showers limited to 30 seconds. I won't ruin it for you--there is much more. Watch your head if you're over 6ft tall. I'm 6'4 and ducked my way through the tour.

Damn you're a big dude. I'm 5'11 or 5'10, depending on which convenience store I'm leaving. Haha, okay I stole Ron White's joke but it was funny nonetheless. Git-R-Done. Oops that was Larry the Cable Guy's stuff now. Man I need to write more original stuff, huh... :)

Sounds cool, I'll definitely make time to visit it next time I'm through there. No doubt.

My contribution for today...

The Louisiana State office building just outside of downtown Shreveport. Sorry, this was the best shot I could get. There was a bit of activity going on at the Circle-K directly across from the building, and I didn't want to get in the middle as there were police involved.

I've been in this building but it's been a long time ago. My father used to work security there and he used to tell me stories about how, late at night when there were no employees in the building other than security personnel, they would hear voices coming from down the halls and even receive open-line phone calls at the security desk from other offices inside the building. He said they would turn all the lights out, floor-by-floor, and then as they did their security sweeps every so often throughout the night, they would find some of those same lights had been turned back on.

My wife has had to go into this building on numerous occasions for work-related things, and she said it's a very creepy place even during the day time. She said you just get a cold feeling from it. Not cold in the temperature sense, but more just an uneasy, uninvited feeling... like you get at a charity hospital or LSU hospital.

160284167.jpg

Wow Brian, interesting story. I like the view from under the over-hang.

Thanks for posting in sleepy forum. You were right, you are a urbanholic ! Nothing wrong with that at all !

:lol: Thanks, Richy. Now that our fearless leader is back, I doubt it'll be very sleepy in here for long. And then when Rod gets back, it should pick up even more.

My contribution for today... Shreveport Convention Center Hilton Hotel construction...

I couldn't count the exact number of floors, but it appears to be at 11 or 12 high. They should be topping out very soon. As much as I hate to say it, though, I sure did hope for much more along the lines of height. Hopefully the first couple of floors are doube-tall and they're still at least a couple floors off.

160284283.jpg

Great looking pictures everyone! Definately some nice pictures to come back too! :thumbsup:

I got home last night to find my computer missing the startup file, which allows your computer to turn on and load all files and data. I don't know why or how it happened as my computer was off for 10 days, and it worked fine when I left, but I had to do a full system recovery to get the thing running again. I didn't lose most of my programs, but I did lose all of my pictures, most of which were not backed up in another location. :cry: I had about 700 saved to my Photobucket, but I lost about 3000 photos. I was really stupid in not saving most of the photos in more than one location, but it's a lesson for me in the future. The 700 that I was able to keep were mostly my best photos, the one's I posted or was going to post here on UP. I'm happy to still have them, but I'm very disappointed about losing all of my other photos.

Great looking pictures everyone! Definately some nice pictures to come back too! :thumbsup:

I got home last night to find my computer missing the startup file, which allows your computer to turn on and load all files and data. I don't know why or how it happened as my computer was off for 10 days, and it worked fine when I left, but I had to do a full system recovery to get the thing running again. I didn't lose most of my programs, but I did lose all of my pictures, most of which were not backed up in another location. :cry: I had about 700 saved to my Photobucket, but I lost about 3000 photos. I was really stupid in not saving most of the photos in more than one location, but it's a lesson for me in the future. The 700 that I was able to keep were mostly my best photos, the one's I posted or was going to post here on UP. I'm happy to still have them, but I'm very disappointed about losing all of my other photos.

Holy crap, Nate.... :cry: I'm crying for you, man!!! That royally sucks!!!

Nice pic Brian of the ongoing construction of the New Convention Center.

Good to have you back Nate. Sorry that happened. It slowed down while you were away. Brian, the "true urbanholic" that he is, posted a pic everyday. I posted a new pic too, and did the skyline battle for you of Frankfurt vs. Atlanta. Look forward to seeing the pics !

Nice pic Brian of the ongoing construction of the New Convention Center.

Good to have you back Nate. Sorry that happened. It slowed down while you were away. Brian, the "true urbanholic" that he is, posted a pic everyday. I posted a new pic too, and did the skyline battle for you of Frankfurt vs. Atlanta. Look forward to seeing the pics !

I tried to post a pic every day, but I think I did miss a few days still. :)

Nate's our lifeline here I've noticed... he seems to keep us discussing things.

Thanks for the welcome back guys! :D

Holy crap, Nate.... :cry: I'm crying for you, man!!! That royally sucks!!!

Yea, it sucks, but it could've been worse. After looking over things again, I lost about 1900 photos from my computer, about 500 of which weren't mine. So I ended up with a loss of about 1400 of my photos, many of which were just comparison photos and test shots with no real purpose. The photos I really liked were the 750 or so photos I had on my Photobucket and ImageShack, and those are the photos I was able to keep, so I'm happy about that.

Nate's our lifeline here I've noticed... he seems to keep us discussing things.

That's what I've always tried to do, it's part of my job as moderator. We don't have many problems in here in terms of discipline that I have to deal with, but as moderator for the forum I want to keep topics and discussion alive, and keep the forum moving forward. :thumbsup: