Louisiana | Photo of the Day

NCB

Poydras is a person:

Julien Poydras, a plantation owner and Louisiana statesman is considered the father of public education in Louisiana.

http://www.pcchamber.org/julien.htm

Thanks for finding that info, breaux. :thumbsup:

I wasn't sure, but I was guessing Poydras Street was named after a person, but I didn't know anything more than that.

Thanks yall. It's about time I get more involved with the pics. I really enjoy all of yall's pics that are posted !

Brian, I posted a different pic of the Old State Capitol yesterday in the Baton Rouge "photo of the day".

But today, knowing my pic would get 3 X's the views on Louisiana's photo-of-the-day, I went ahead posted on this tread instead.

Edited by richyb83

Brian, I posted a different pic of the Old State Capitol yesterday in the Baton Rouge "photo of the day".

But today, knowing my pic would get 3 X's the views on Louisiana's photo-of-the-day, I went ahead posted on this tread instead.

Please post on both threads if you can, Richy! We all love photos around here! :D

BTW, what kind of camera do you have? Your photos so far have had great quality!

Thanks Nate! My camera is a Canon Powershot with 4.0 mega pixels.

Uh-oh... so now I'm outnumbered 3-1 so far. Nate and Rod both use Canons, though theirs I believe are 5 or 6 megapixels? I use a Sony Cybershot.

Oh, Nate and Rod, by the way... the book for my camera says 5.3 megapixels, but the actual camera itself says only 5.1. But does the 0.2 megapixel difference amount to much? I doubt it!

^Very nice, Brian! I love pictures like that.

I bet that view would look even cooler with some morning fog. :D

Well, let's see... I didn't get that exact view, but here are a couple of somewhat hazy early-morning photos from the same area of the lake today:

155858175.jpg

And for a zoomed-in version of the boathouse and trees:

155858150.jpg

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Uh-oh... so now I'm outnumbered 3-1 so far. Nate and Rod both use Canons, though theirs I believe are 5 or 6 megapixels? I use a Sony Cybershot.

Oh, Nate and Rod, by the way... the book for my camera says 5.3 megapixels, but the actual camera itself says only 5.1. But does the 0.2 megapixel difference amount to much? I doubt it!

Honestly most cameras aren't an exact number. There are a few variables involved. I'm a little surprised your camera wasn't simply listed as a 5MP. By the way which lake is that Brian?

Nice pics Brian. Cross Lake is a nice sized lake, how deep is it ? I had the opportunity to drive over the lake on the 220 by-pass and was impressed. That's Louisiana at it's finest.

Thanks, Richy! :) The lake is probably 20-25 feet at its deepest point. It's a very shallow lake that was formed by the log jam in the river which was later cleared by Captain Henry Miller Shreve. Basically it was just low-lying land that filled with water. It was then deepened and made larger by use of heavy machinery... so it's half natural and half man-made. Pretty impressive! :)

Great pictures there too, Brian! What an awesome view.

What part of the lake are these pictures taken from?

And thank you, Nate! :)

These photos are being taken from the north side of the lake, off North Lakeshore Drive. North Lakeshore doesn't intersect with I-220, but you can get there from I-220... it's just a little tricky.

Honestly most cameras aren't an exact number. There are a few variables involved. I'm a little surprised your camera wasn't simply listed as a 5MP. By the way which lake is that Brian?

Cross Lake, in north Shreveport. Look at Shreveport on a map and you'll see the Red River on the east and the big blue blob is Cross Lake on the north west side.

Edited by SBCmetroguy