Picture of the Day in Northwest Arkansas

Mith242

Here's a pic of a plaque just outside the Old Courthouse. If you can't tell from the dates the Civil War killed this stagecoach line. Apparently the Butterfield's, the family who ran the business, were quite impressed with Fayetteville. They send one of their relatives to personally take care of business here in Fayetteville. But the Federal government put a stop to it as the south succeeded. That and the Butterfields had Union ties so it's doubtful they would have stayed anyway. If you can't tell I've been doing a lot of reading on Fayetteville's history around the Civil War. Fayetteville surprisingly had quite a few people with ties to the north, especially compared to the rest of the state. Just to throw out a little more interesting info, around 600-800 people left Washington County and moved to Missouri where they eventually formed the First Arkansas Union Calvelry near Cassville. I need to get a history of Fayetteville topic going, there's some interesting info about Fayetteville just in the Civil War alone.

img1883ss3ey.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice Shot!! :thumbsup:

I seem to recall something about the Butterfield Stage Route in the news last year. Did they open up a small museum in Ft. Smith or something like that?

The only thing I recall hearing much about is a trail system being planned in Springdale. Part of which will be on the Butterfield Route. There's still an old barn left where the stagecoaches went by up there that's been preserved. I don't recall hearing anything Ft Smith. Although I have heard some other states taking more of an interest in their areas where the Butterfield Route went in their states.

Nice Shot!! :thumbsup:

I seem to recall something about the Butterfield Stage Route in the news last year. Did they open up a small museum in Ft. Smith or something like that?

The Butterfield Stage Coach Route is to be part of Northwest Arkansas' Heritage Trail Plan, along with the Trail of Tears, Civil War Sites, Downtowns, Recreational Areas, Trail Systems, Area Attractions and Colleges. It is going to be the regions, possibly one of the country's biggest historic attractions.

The Butterfield Stage Coach Route is to be part of Northwest Arkansas' Heritage Trail Plan, along with the Trail of Tears, Civil War Sites, Downtowns, Recreational Areas, Trail Systems, Area Attractions and Colleges. It is going to be the regions, possibly one of the country's biggest historic attractions.

Thanks for the info. :D Yeah I've noticed several other states really getting interested in the Butterfield Stage Route through their states as well. Seems interesting for so much interest for something that to be honest didn't really last a very long time. Although I'm glad to see some emphasis on this part of our history.

That's what it was. Thanks Masons Dad!!

I remember it being a big deal when it first was announced, but I couldn't quite think of it.

Man, that's a sweet shot. :thumbsup:

I think I can see the Renaissance Tower and may'be the public library.

The building on the right is the library. The one in the center that looks the closest is Hillcrest Tower. The other tall one more towards the left is the Radisson.

The library looks huge in that shot.

Really is a nice facility. :thumbsup:

From that angle you also see the parking deck which doesn't really look too much like a parking deck. I've been wondering if when they designed it they took the advice of Dover Kohl about trying to hide parking or if they just happened to design it this way.

While I was out in the cold this morning looking for pics to take I came across this plaque in the center of Arkansas Ave near the campus. Not sure what Arkansas Ave has to do with Will Rogers and I'm pretty sure the road existed well before he was alive.

98793432_3277ec1e88_o.jpg

^

Nice pic Mith! It's amazing all these little things that add personality to Fayetteville. In the 1930's the Perennial Garden Club of Fayetteville's major project was the planting and beautification of Arkansas Avenue as a memorial to Will Rogers.

It

Awesome pic Mith! I wonder if the stones used in that building are from local quarries or are they imported... or even if the stones are real and not just fabricated from cement? I love the way the stones are all of odd shapes and sizes as one could spend several hours just staring at the building... okay maybe not several hours all at once but maybe a few minutes at a time. :silly:

Awesome pic Mith! I wonder if the stones used in that building are from local quarries or are they imported... or even if the stones are real and not just fabricated from cement? I love the way the stones are all of odd shapes and sizes as one could spend several hours just staring at the building... okay maybe not several hours all at once but maybe a few minutes at a time. :silly:

No it's real stone, it's not one of the newer buildings on campus. I'm pretty sure it's limestone and that it came from somewhere in the area. Although I don't know if the stone came directly in what is today's metro. I know for Old Main the stone that was used was quarried nearby and the bricks I believe were fired on campus. Of course things were done differently back then.

^

BTW... what building is that? I'm not even gonna start guessing as I'm not very familiar with the UofA campus.

Oh sorry, guess I should have mentioned that. It one of the corners of Ozark Hall. It's done in that Collegiate Gothic style that can be see in a number of buildings on campus. I think a lot of these buildings were built in the 20's.

Archived