Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

Cool. It's harder to see the progress with adaptive reuse projects, unless the outside is remodeled as well (as will be the case with Vsion).

I wonder how far along the Barringer building is?

I haven't heard anything different since they said they will be ready in September. A full crew is in there every day.

Cool. It's harder to see the progress with adaptive reuse projects, unless the outside is remodeled as well (as will be the case with Vsion).

I wonder how far along the Barringer building is?

When I went on the Urban Access Columbia tour a couple of months ago, it was coming along nicely. September sounds very reasonable.

Here is an article from The State today talking all of the condos going up around town. I was surpised to see that it says that some of the annoucements aren't viable. I'd be interested to know which one's it's talking about. It's a poorly done article also...at the bottom it says "Here

Here is an article from The State today talking all of the condos going up around town. I was surpised to see that it says that some of the annoucements aren't viable. I'd be interested to know which one's it's talking about. It's a poorly done article also...at the bottom it says "Here

I just got an email from COR (Columbia Opportunity Resource) about their next topic in their Columbia 20/20 series. It will be at the Summit Club on August 16th at 5:30 p.m. The topic will be "The Changing River Corridor and Connecting Columbia's Development Dots. "Representatives from the Beach Company (Canalside) and Sasaki (Innovista) will discuss new-urban developments in downtown Columbia, and Rox Pollard from Colliers Keenan will discuss the changing face of retail in our city center," the email says.

I went to the first presentation. I didn't find out anything I didn't already know, but I was certainly reminded of how full Columbia's plate is getting in terms of development in the city.

I just got an email from COR (Columbia Opportunity Resource) about their next topic in their Columbia 20/20 series. It will be at the Summit Club on August 16th at 5:30 p.m. The topic will be "The Changing River Corridor and Connecting Columbia's Development Dots. "Representatives from the Beach Company (Canalside) and Sasaki (Innovista) will discuss new-urban developments in downtown Columbia, and Rox Pollard from Colliers Keenan will discuss the changing face of retail in our city center," the email says.

I went to the first presentation. I didn't find out anything I didn't already know, but I was certainly reminded of how full Columbia's plate is getting in terms of development in the city.

I was there also. It was interesting, though, to see all those renderings projected at once. There were a couple of nice smaller projects I hadn't heard of before. It was also interesting to see how the established movers and shakers were appealling to the younger constituency to help make it all happen and become the future movers and shakers. By encouraging the young professionals to move downtown, and by showing where to go for support for new projets (financial and support structures) to nourish the entrepreneurial spirit of the younger generation to help the economic development of Cola. Did you notice that? I saw the event more as a promotional push for downtown living as well as a networking session. I had expected more of a discussion to take place. But at least a number of well positioned people were present to answer questions, for example when public transportation was the subject, there were people present to respond to some of the concerns, and people representing some of the specific development projects were present.

I was there also. It was interesting, though, to see all those renderings projected at once. There were a couple of nice smaller projects I hadn't heard of before. It was also interesting to see how the established movers and shakers were appealling to the younger constituency to help make it all happen and become the future movers and shakers. By encouraging the young professionals to move downtown, and by showing where to go for support for new projets (financial and support structures) to nourish the entrepreneurial spirit of the younger generation to help the economic development of Cola. Did you notice that? I saw the event more as a promotional push for downtown living as well as a networking session. I had expected more of a discussion to take place. But at least a number of well positioned people were present to answer questions, for example when public transportation was the subject, there were people present to respond to some of the concerns, and people representing some of the specific development projects were present.

That sounds pretty cool, I'm sorry I missed it.

so is the new sheraton going up on main street supposed to be part of the luxury collection/starwood? btw, the palmetto building i think it is has to be the most beautiful old high rise on main. this will certainly be a development columbia can be proud of i'm sure. :thumbsup:

It's going to be a Sheraton Boutique.

I read today in the new free times that a new strip mall similar in size to The Village Of Sandhills is going up on I-77 in NE.It will be located where the new Super Walmart site is going. The area is also going to have housing and business office village.

Edited by 803metlife

http://www.topix.net/content/kri/003409771...119723290260441

Hey, finally they are cutting into my neck of the woods :yahoo:

I hope the developers don't forget about me :D

I'm ALL in, for making our city the BEST Riverfront, downtown live-in/work community

on the east coast.. and I must not forget those who enjoy the (vista) night life

I've been waiting 28 years, and it has been a ok! :thumbsup:

..not to mention the convenient access I have

to any where within our city... even Lex, Wcola,

Wow ! ! what an exciting wait it has been... :yahoo:

Thanks for the update on the CVS! How far back is the building from the road?

This may face its parking lot, but that corner at least takes pedestrian's into account.

Also, who's to say this place won't have a second entrance somewhere along college street? (yeah i know its probably a longshot).