Sprindale Minor League Sports Complex and Minor League Baseball Stadium

mcheiss

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like it would be a nice stadium, although I think it could be a more interesting design. I wonder what the two twin buildings would be in front of the stadium. It looks like it would block any view of the stadium from the front.

Seems like it would be a nice stadium, although I think it could be a more interesting design. I wonder what the two twin buildings would be in front of the stadium. It looks like it would block any view of the stadium from the front.

Those must be the chicken houses that are already on the site... guess they decided to keep them there. :rofl:

:lol: Yeah from that angle I can see how they do resemble chicken houses. Yeah a great tie in for all future Springdale architecture. Make all future buildings look like chicken houses and such. But anyway, I'm assuming they would house the restaurants and bathrooms and such.

:lol: Yeah from that angle I can see how they do resemble chicken houses. Yeah a great tie in for all future Springdale architecture. Make all future buildings look like chicken houses and such. But anyway, I'm assuming they would house the restaurants and bathrooms and such.

That's what I thought but I don't see why you would put them in a separate structure.

I wonder if they're going to have any type of political ad campaign for this prior to July 11? I've not seen anything other than media coverage and the web site promoting this.

Yeah to be honest I haven't seen any media campaign about this. Maybe things will pick up as it gets closer.

I wonder why the artist drew in 4-lane divided roads on all 4 sides of the ballpark? Like that's going to happen. I also wonder if those "chicken houses" are going to also house retail shops like a sporting goods store along with the restaurants and the chickens. :D

I wonder why the artist drew in 4-lane divided roads on all 4 sides of the ballpark? Like that's going to happen. I also wonder if those "chicken houses" are going to also house retail shops like a sporting goods store along with the restaurants and the chickens. :D

I don't know, it isn't like those are feeder streets or anything. More like the way to navigate around in the parking lot and such.

MasonsDad1, isn't that ballpark supposed to be near I-540 and U.S.(?)412?

That would explain the 4 lane streets, which I was wondering about, too.

This is the top story on both the Northwest Arkansas section of the Democrat-Gazette and it's atop the nwarktimes.com site today. What's interesting is that, while there are question marks about how successfully this will be marketed (and the fact that we're seeing the Springdale folks actively pit themselves against Wichita (and their Wrangler team) which I think could blow up in someone's face BIG TIME) - there seems to be unanimity in the folks they've quoted talking about the need (and potential) for minor-level pro sports franchises here.

This is the top story on both the Northwest Arkansas section of the Democrat-Gazette and it's atop the nwarktimes.com site today. What's interesting is that, while there are question marks about how successfully this will be marketed (and the fact that we're seeing the Springdale folks actively pit themselves against Wichita (and their Wrangler team) which I think could blow up in someone's face BIG TIME) - there seems to be unanimity in the folks they've quoted talking about the need (and potential) for minor-level pro sports franchises here.

That location was the original planned location but now it's going to be further south. Let's see the corner of Watson and 56th. I did see the article which also talked about the arena on Hwy 12. I do like how they pointed out that there isn't necessarily a lot to do here and that the metro could really use something like this. I think initially there would be enough support for a baseball team. But I wonder what will happen a little further in the future when there are other things to do. I noticed in the same paper in the editorials there was a not so positive letter about the stadium. The person mentioned about why they just didn't have the games at Baum. But I don't think that would work out very well. The season overlap and I think that would cause problems. Also I don't think they'd allow alcohol since it's on campus. But all of this does raise a point. I've been hearing more and more people not sounding like they'd be likely to vote for it. I've also talked to some people who like the idea of having a baseball team and such but don't like how this is being set up. But another point to mention is despite what the overall view of the citizens are, what matters is who ends up going out to vote on this.

That doesn't explain the divided 4-lane roads with trees lining the medians. It may just be the artist doesn't care what the actual location looks like as much as he just wants his render to look good.

That doesn't explain the divided 4-lane roads with trees lining the medians. It may just be the artist doesn't care what the actual location looks like as much as he just wants his render to look good.

This does happen a lot, where the rendering doesn't necessarily reflect what the surrounding area appears. Although the article did point out that not all that money is being used just for the stadium. A good chunk of it will also be used to upgrade roads and services around the stadium. Although I can't really say whether those roads will be widened like that.

Here's an article from a Wichita paper about the team that may come to Springdale:

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/sports/ba...rs/14858207.htm

Thanks, Bob. 2 things.

1. I hope Springdale officials know what they're doing with this Wichita talk.

2. Fascinating to read Bill Valentine actually quoted as saying a NW Arkansas team would outdraw his Arkansas Travelers (ostensibly in attendance).

Either he's quite diplomatic, or there's TRULY a lot of potential up here, or (as I suspect) both.

Thanks, Bob. 2 things.

1. I hope Springdale officials know what they're doing with this Wichita talk.

2. Fascinating to read Bill Valentine actually quoted as saying a NW Arkansas team would outdraw his Arkansas Travelers (ostensibly in attendance).

Either he's quite diplomatic, or there's TRULY a lot of potential up here, or (as I suspect) both.

I hadn't thought much about the fact that Wichita might have other options in trying to keep the team there. I'm wondering though if Glass owns the Royals and wants a minor leagues team in NWA. Might he possibly drop the Wichita team. A bit like how the Arkansas Travelers used to be a Cardinals minor league team. I think it will be hard to outdraw the Travelers. They'll be getting a new stadium and I expect it to bring in a lot more fans. But he is right about the fact that there really aren't any pro sports in the area.

Who are you referring to as "Wranglers?" The owners and organization officials have obviously already expressed interest in moving to Springdale.

I think that's where all of this gets muddled. Nobody involved with the team has stated any potential move. Although I think this may be in part because they don't want to lose their fan base during the time before the stadium is done. But I think some people are a bit concerned, worried that this isn't a done deal at all. The link bobhazor posted mentions that Wichita has an option that they can buy out the team if it moves before their contract expires with the city. Making the whole thing even more complicated.

Look for a public announcement from the Wranglers organization soon after the referendum is passed...if it is passed. Until then, regardless of what the media reports or fans speculate, they'll probably stay mute.

Another good question is what to rename the team. Should it be Springdale blank? Northwest Arkansas blank? It'd make a good contest.

Yep. Some call it "creative liberty".

Archived