Restaurant Review

fluffy

Are you talking about Brann's? 401 Leonard. This has to be some sort of joke I'm missing.

Looks like I misspelled the chain's name (my 2nd mistake ever!). This one was on 28th Street ("the team" doesn't like going too far off this drag; they might have to -gasp! -WALK!)

On the mural, the fictional billboard was roughly on the Federal Building.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like I misspelled the chain's name (my 2nd mistake ever!). This one was on 28th Street ("the team" doesn't like going too far off this drag; they might have to -gasp! -WALK!)

branns is actually a local chain. I believe they may have one in d-town now? not sure, but like i said they are also DT GR

They say three's the charm. One more mistake and you can relax about not be perfect. (See wht I mn?)

:thumbsup:

Over the weekend my wife and I tried The Omlette Shoppe in Breton Village Mall. Atmosphere was nice, service adequate and food ok. Does anyone know if it is doing ok since it opened?

Also did a evening meal at Olives in EGR. Very enjoyable meal and atmosphere.

Went to Olive Express for lunch the other day for the FIRST TIME. :blush: Had the chicken ka-bob sandwich wrap with hummus. Excellent!

My Sister had the chicken shawarma sandwich, which she also said was excellent!

Jeff, much of that palm tree decor you saw in there is the fine hand of Veloise. I go shopping now and then (Sam does not; he's a guy) and I started seeing palm trees everywhere. Buy 'em, drop 'em off, brightens up the place. The stained glass trees on the tables, the chalkboard at the register, the napkin box the doormat...I just picked up yards & yards of palm tree fabric on an auction. Still in design stages.

Next time try the garlic sauce. Go for the garlic sauce. You are gonna love the garlic sauce. (Bring some home for GRMomof3 in self-defense.)

• 1 month later...

My wife and I went to Bar Louie last night. I like to frequent the Bar Louie in Chicago and I thought this would be nice. The menu was the same, the decor was Corporate American Restaurant. The service was nice, the food was decent. I'll be back when they have some beer/liquor. They had quite a few taps including Goose Island Honkers Ale. It wasn't bad for my first time there.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried the stuffed or smoked filet at Judson's? I hadn't noticed them on the menu before today... I'm curious how they compare to their standard 10oz filet.

I went and had the smoked filet a little over a week ago. It was pretty incredible. My wife had the filet oscar which was also delicious. Another great trip to Judsons. :thumbsup:

I went to Sierra Room for my birthday over the weekend and was very dissapointed. The food was not good - my beef tenderloin was extremely salty and my husband's veal was subpar. The service was ok - it took a long time for the food to arrive. And, I wasn't a huge fan of the decor. My booth had a broken seat cushion, so I sat on my coat just so I could reach the table. Did I go at a bad time and have bad luck? Has anyone has a good experience, or is Sierra Room overrated and overpriced?

I went to Sierra Room for my birthday over the weekend and was very dissapointed. The food was not good - my beef tenderloin was extremely salty and my husband's veal was subpar. The service was ok - it took a long time for the food to arrive. And, I wasn't a huge fan of the decor. My booth had a broken seat cushion, so I sat on my coat just so I could reach the table. Did I go at a bad time and have bad luck? Has anyone has a good experience, or is Sierra Room overrated and overpriced?

As long as the "Chance" is there to brighten your spirits who needs overpriced food. :D

Did I go at a bad time and have bad luck? Has anyone has a good experience, or is Sierra Room overrated and overpriced?

No, I thought the same thing. The food was mediocre and the price was high. The only thing I enjoyed of my meal was the veggie soup, which was delicious.

I'm surprised by this, Chris Perkey formerly of EGR Firehouse Grill was the chef there. I've always heard good things about his food. Did you notice if he was there?perkey

I agree, Chris is a wonderful Chef.

Now the big question Mrs. B:

Did you say anything to management about your experience before you left?

If I have a subpar experience at a restaurant, I'll let the management know before I leave. This gives the restaurant an opportunity to turn the situation around, so I leave a happy guest. A happy guest returns and talks up the place to their friends, whereas an unhappy guest leaves and tells ten friends about their bad experience.

We were there about a month ago and had a great time. Food was great, service was magnifico! (oh wait, how do you say magnificent in Spanish?) Wine recommended by the server was even better. All despite a very busy crowd there.

The time before that several years ago was not so good, but not bad enough to complain.

I was there once about a year ago and thought it was all just so-so. The service was decent, but the food wasn't as good as I was expecting for the price, and it the atmosphere seemed pretentious to me. I have heard good things from others though, but have always thought it was just me. :dontknow:

Personally, the only time I've ever complained was at Gills when I had a crappy steak. I've had enough really good ones at Judsons (they share a kitchen) that I thought I should let them know something was up. I figured my experience at Sierra was a fluke, so no, I didn't say anything. Perhaps I should have though seeing as it was (if I remember correctly) over $100 for two people.

There is a new(ish) Italian place on Kalamazoo north of M-6 (Next to Sami's) called Bella Mia that is really good. I've had food there twice now, and both times I was very impressed. The guy that runs it seems really nice, too. I would recommend it!

There is a new(ish) Italian place on Kalamazoo north of M-6 (Next to Sami's) called Bella Mia that is really good. I've had food there twice now, and both times I was very impressed. The guy that runs it seems really nice, too. I would recommend it!

Right on. This place has some *great* Italian food. Highly recommended. Also - they have a stock of gellato!

I agree, Chris is a wonderful Chef.

Now the big question Mrs. B:

Did you say anything to management about your experience before you left?

If I have a subpar experience at a restaurant, I'll let the management know before I leave. This gives the restaurant an opportunity to turn the situation around, so I leave a happy guest. A happy guest returns and talks up the place to their friends, whereas an unhappy guest leaves and tells ten friends about their bad experience.

To answer the question, yes, I complained and the staff nice enough to give us a free dessert. But, I don't think I'll ever go back unless they really change up the menu.

Archived