Restaurant Review

fluffy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are some of restaurants, cafes, or bars that have out door seating within the city? Additionally, how are the atmospheres?

The only ones that I know of are the Bob and Taps.

Here are some downtown restaurants. So many places have outdoor seating now. I like the patio at The Black Rose a lot. One Trick Pony has outdoor seating...but it's not the best right out on Fulton Street, IMO. Grand Woods Lounge has outdoor seating, but their service isn't the best. Taco Bobs has some outdoor seating. And...Tre Cugini has outdoor seating - they get my vote for best umbrellas!

I'll try and do a quick list of places with outdoor seating (I thought about this the other day):

Taco Bobs

GP Sports

Bullshead Tavern

Mojo's

Flanagans

Beaners Coffee

Bite

Riverbank Books

Tre Cugini

Four Friends

Olive Express

Blake's Turkey

Z's

TGIF

The BOB

Bistro Bella Vita

Grand Woods Lounge

Margarita Grill

S Curve Deli

Black Rose

Sierra Room

That deli/coffee shop on Ionia (?)

Taps

Two Choppers

XO

Jimmy Johns

One Trick Pony

The Cottage Bar

Cafe Solace

The new place at the Boardwalk

O'Tooles has an open-air accordian window thingy

Rocky's on Ottawa

Graydon's Crossing

There have got to be more I'm missing too. We need some good rooftop dining. :shades: There's a great place in Charlevoix that has a rooftop dining area that is surrounded by a canopy of trees, but you can still see all the pedestrians down below on the main drag. Very sweet!

Edit: yikes, that list is long. :blush: Sorry michaelskis.

I'll try and do a quick list of places with outdoor seating (I thought about this the other day):

Taco Bobs

GP Sports

Bullshead Tavern

Mojo's

Flanagans

Beaners Coffee

Bite

Riverbank Books

Tre Cugini

Four Friends

Olive Express

Blake's Turkey

Z's

TGIF

The BOB

Bistro Bella Vita

Grand Woods Lounge

Margarita Grill

S Curve Deli

Black Rose

Sierra Room

That deli/coffee shop on Ionia (?)

Taps

Two Choppers

XO

Jimmy Johns

One Trick Pony

The Cottage Bar

Cafe Solace

The new place at the Boardwalk

O'Tooles has an open-air accordian window thingy

Rocky's on Ottawa

Graydon's Crossing

Here are my favorites to add:

San Chez, A Tapas Bistro at 38 W Fulton

Mangiamo's at 1033 Lake Drive SE

Marie Catrib's at 1001 Lake Drive SE

Sandmann's at 1200 Wealthy Street SE

Wealthy Street Bakery at 610 Wealthy Street SE

Schnitz Deli at 1315 E Fulton

Salvatore's Italian Restaurant at 654 Stocking NW

Logan's Alley at 916 Michigan NE

The Schnitz / Ada Grill in Ada has great 2nd floor outdoor seating.

I really can't believe I didn't mention this.

The Cone Shop at 1225 Michigan Street has one the best patios in town....

Does anyone know if Little Africa, the one and only Ethiopian restaurant is still open?

It's the one near Fulton and Diamond.

The past three times I have stopped by, within normal business hours, they are closed.

One of my favorites. I always call first. 222-1169. He seems to be closed on Mondays usually.

• 1 month later...

Had the pleasure of dining @ Leo's last night for the first time.

My in-laws took my wife and I out for my wife's birthday. We split 3 appetizers; they were delicious. We got a crab cake, sashimi(sp??), and bake brie. I like the sashimi the best.

I ordered the King Salmon - great choice and perfectly cooked. My wife ordered the Yellow-fin Tuna and could barely finish 1/2 of the huge portion. The in-laws ordered Mahi Mahi and a King Salmon and both were impressed w/ the flavor and portions. (In-laws had been there before, we hadn't).

For desert, the 4 of us split Cherry Cheesecake, Tiramisu, and Chocolate Creme Broule(sp?). All 3 were perfect.

Luckily the in-laws picked up the tab. I would imagine it was over $200.

If you're looking for great seafood and don't mind paying an arm and a leg, Leo's is a great choice.

I've been wanting to try a few places downtown with my GF.

I have been to Mojo's twice, sat upstairs both times.

First time was last fall, we had a large group (10) and did a sit-down dinner affair. My first experience was horrible, the service was sub-par (barely knew we had a waiter) and when it came time to give us our bills, three times she gave me the wrong bill....now, I know things can happen, but a man generally does not have the name "Jennifer, Kari, or Megan", three of my friends with us that night. I had to track the waitress down and make sure she got me my card and proper bill. When my tip reflected the service, she tracked ME down and practically yelled at me.

Second time was wonderful. St. Patty's day this spring. Again, sat upsairs, got there early with my GF and a couple of her friends. As the place kept getting busier (it was St. Patty's day) and the rest of our group showed up (totaling 12 more ppl), we continued to get great service for the packed circumstances. Our waiter really busted her ass and made sure we were doing good. The effort was reflected in the hefty tip.

Would I go back to Mojo's, you bet. One bad night doesn't constitute never returning.

I've been wanting to try a few places downtown with my GF.

I have been to Mojo's twice, sat upstairs both times.

First time was last fall, we had a large group (10) and did a sit-down dinner affair. My first experience was horrible, the service was sub-par (barely knew we had a waiter) and when it came time to give us our bills, three times she gave me the wrong bill....now, I know things can happen, but a man generally does not have the name "Jennifer, Kari, or Megan", three of my friends with us that night. I had to track the waitress down and make sure she got me my card and proper bill. When my tip reflected the service, she tracked ME down and practically yelled at me.

Second time was wonderful. St. Patty's day this spring. Again, sat upsairs, got there early with my GF and a couple of her friends. As the place kept getting busier (it was St. Patty's day) and the rest of our group showed up (totaling 12 more ppl), we continued to get great service for the packed circumstances. Our waiter really busted her ass and made sure we were doing good. The effort was reflected in the hefty tip.

Would I go back to Mojo's, you bet. One bad night doesn't constitute never returning.

what do you consider a "normal" tip? also you should try sandmanns on wealthy good food good prices

How much is a slab of ribs at sandmanns?

I can't remember. They are a bit pricey so I can't get them as often as I like. I've been on a bbq chicken kick lately. Half a chicken and a half pound of fries are about 8 bucks.

How much is a slab of ribs at sandmanns?

i think a full slab is like 11.99 not bad cosidering the slab is HUGE!!!

I got the rib sandwich once thinking it was going to be, well..... ribs inside of a bun, low and behold it was a half rack of ribs with two tiny little pieces of white bread :) it was delicious

Made my first trip into Olive Express yesterday. Ordered a Chicken Shawarma. The portion seemed kind of small for $5.50. Don't get me wrong, it was delicious; just didn't fill me up. The Lentil soup was OK. A bit bland.

I would say 6/10 for my experience yesterday.

(On a side note, as I was eating outside, I laughed a bit when I saw a bike-cop slow down and crane his neck backwards as he passed a youth that was hanging off of a street light. I chuckled as the cop passed by me and he just chuckled back at me.)

I ate at Charley's Crab again on Sunday, calamari appetizer, filet mignon and shrimp for dinner. Absolutely amazing. Not paying for it helped too. I highly recommend the place but for someone in my income bracket it's definately a special occasion spot.

Having 2 small childen, all I can say is the chicken nuggetts at the McDonalds in Ada are very good. Here is a tip, instead of 1 20 piece nugget for the family, order 5 4 piece's. It is cheaper. The only complaint is that I didn't get the toy that I wanted in my happy meal. Overall a good experiance. 8/10. Vitales is pretty good next door as well.

Archived