Restaurant Review

fluffy

You can get Abita beer at Martha's! I love TurboDog and I just tried the Amber for the first time this week. Great stuff.

you can get one of my favorite beers of all time @ e3, Abita's Purple Haze!!!!!!!! its sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Qdoba is the best!

370019637_815f9434bf.jpg

Hey, you ate half of my burrito!

Actually, I'm not a huge Qdoba fan. I'm hoping we get a Chipotle in the area in the next year or two. There are a few in metro Detroit now and one in East Lansing, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I also like Panchero's, but unfortunately their only Grand Rapids area store was in a terrible location at the end of a strip mall on Wilson Ave, across from the mall, and they did zero advertising. Needless to say, the place was empty every time I went there, and they closed a month or two ago.

Does anyone have info on what happened to the Chicago's pizza place next to Celebration Cinema North?

Kabookies in EGR will be closing Feb 10th for good. "Couldn't make it work."

Was the rent too much? Man, sitting right next to the HS - something else must be amiss here.

One of the principals involved does own the building so rent is not the problem here as it is with many other businesses in Gaslight Village. I understand that there are some changes planned and it should reopen.Don't know the timetable but would assume it to be by summer.

Isn't one of the owners a local newscaster?

One of the principals involved does own the building so rent is not the problem here as it is with many other businesses in Gaslight Village. I understand that there are some changes planned and it should reopen.Don't know the timetable but would assume it to be by summer.

I did hear mention of a re-opening as well, but like I said, I was just over-hearing things :)

Two people could eat breakfast there for under $10.00 and there was never a wait. I'm bummed they're closing.

Maybe that's why they're closing....$5/person and they cannot fill up? That's a business doomed to failure (as much as it sucks, and I feel back for them)

Disclaimer: I eat at sit-down full-serve restaurants about as often as I turn on the TV.

A friend came to town for a recreation confab at AGP, and she said how about dinner. She lives in Westland, Land of the Plastic Sign (think all the 28th St/Alpine stuff all crammed onto three state highways). Said she wants local.

They fed her lunch, so old faithful (Olive Express) was not an option. But I've been wanting to try Bobby J's.

What a nice place. I have to admit that the 24-hour-weekends previously advertised had me envisioning a Clock or Steak 'n Shake. Wooden floor (let's dance!), upholstered booths, ragg-painted walls, interesting upholstery on the booth backs. (When we arrived, two of GR's finest were eating at a window table. You know that's an endorsement!)

We shared the mediterranean appetizer plate, which came with hot pita bread cut into eights. (Sam, are you reading this?!?) Just as we ran out of bread, with extra baba ganoush and hommous to dip, here came the waiter with another pita's worth of sections.

Friend had the pasta dish with artichoke hearts and bow-tie pasta, which was real tasty. I have the veggie stir-fry with grilled chicken; friend liked that better. Sides: salad, garlic bread, flavored ho-made rolls with cheese or olives baked in. I have a huge bag to take home (leftovers are always better overnight).

Turns out they've modified their hours, but are still open a long stretch of time to catch the St Cece and church crowds.

There's a specialty coffee menu card. I don't believe there's a liquor license. And they have Wi-fi, and a friendly staff who keeps refilling my glass.

edit: sure hope my brand-spankin' new AARP card arrives soon so I can go get me some new specs

I went to the BlueWater grille tonight.

It's had its ups and downs, at first I thought it was great, then they changed chef's, not so great, now - it's okay. REALLY pricey though.

I went with the "beef tenderloin" entree, which is just an expensive word for pot roast. Small portion, tasted good though. Salad was ala carte.

I only go there when other people pay, it's far too rich for my blood, but I don't think the food warrants the price at all.

Wow. Maybe it's because I am used to LA prices, but I thought that the Bluewater Grille was relatively reasonable and the food excellent. I have been there twice, and love the place. We take Mom (Ohio farm girl) there and she is happy. My sophisticated Ann Arborite brother and sister-in-law are happy. And even my bred-in-LA kids thought it was great, and my eldest is a real snob.

I also think it is one of the prettiest restaurants in GR, with the lake view (interesting that that was an old gravel pit) as well as great Frank Lloyd Wright-derived architecture.

Wow. Maybe it's because I am used to LA prices, but I thought that the Bluewater Grille was relatively reasonable and the food excellent. I have been there twice, and love the place. We take Mom (Ohio farm girl) there and she is happy. My sophisticated Ann Arborite brother and sister-in-law are happy. And even my bred-in-LA kids thought it was great, and my eldest is a real snob.

I also think it is one of the prettiest restaurants in GR, with the lake view (interesting that that was an old gravel pit) as well as great Frank Lloyd Wright-derived architecture.

I think the building looks great, but the food has slipped, especially for the price!

Does anyone else remember when that ugly yellow gravel elevator used to be there? Dykema maybe? Although I am not a fan of strip malls, that area has been cleaned up quite a bit, especially with the red-roofed condos on the South side of the lake.

Blue Water is pretty pricey, but the ambience is awesome!

Does anyone else remember when that ugly yellow gravel elevator used to be there? Dykema maybe? Although I am not a fan of strip malls, that area has been cleaned up quite a bit, especially with the red-roofed condos on the South side of the lake.

I have a vague memory of the gravel pit and some industrial looking buildings on the site. The lake is heckuva lot better.

Two people could eat breakfast there for under $10.00 and there was never a wait. I'm bummed they're closing.

I am bummed to I worked there for the last year. We tried to do a lot in a little bit of time to make the neighborhood happy, making changes to the interior, the menu, etc... I am confused myself why it didn't work out. I know that all my regulars are upset that we had to close the doors, no more upset than me.

I am bummed to I worked there for the last year. We tried to do a lot in a little bit of time to make the neighborhood happy, making changes to the interior, the menu, etc... I am confused myself why it didn't work out. I know that all my regulars are upset that we had to close the doors, no more upset than me.

What a shame! Kabookie's was great.

What will happen to the building?

It was A BLUE building/elevator GRDADOF3.

:thumbsup:

It was Dykema... GR Gravel. It does look better there now, except when you drive up plainfield, you start to cry.

It was A BLUE building/elevator GRDADOF3.

:thumbsup:

It was Dykema... GR Gravel. It does look better there now, except when you drive up plainfield, you start to cry.

Yep, blue. I remember it well. Used to swim in that gravel-pit-turned lake as a kid.

At the risk of being way off-topic, does anyone have any info on that beautiful house on the hill just slightly south-east of Blue Water. It is modern, round with loads of windows. A gorgeous looking place.

Archived