Restaurant Review

fluffy

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My sister and I went to Bar Louie last night after work and were very impressed. The small plates were good-sized portions and the food was really good (except for the salsa - it was more like baby food than anything else). We also happened to be there for the end of happy hour, which had good deals on drinks. The service was good - we're definitely going back.

I'm not knocking it because I haven't tried it, but I hear the soda's are $2.50 each. Does that sound excessive to anyone else?

Yes - $2.50 for a soda is a little much. So I would recommend going during happy hour - drafts are $2 (except for Bell's) and their martinis are $5. Not bad...

My sister and I went to Bar Louie last night after work and were very impressed. The small plates were good-sized portions and the food was really good (except for the salsa - it was more like baby food than anything else). We also happened to be there for the end of happy hour, which had good deals on drinks. The service was good - we're definitely going back.

Where is Bar Louie again? $2.50 does sound like a lot for pop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yesterday the message board sitting out in front of the Ritz Koney on Ionia said "Dollar Dog Monday... 1 topping dogs only... all other dogs $1.50". My question is, what's the difference between a "topping" and a condiment?

I didn't go in and ask because I have thing against that place right now, haven't eaten there since early last June for a number of reasons.

Yesterday the message board sitting out in front of the Ritz Koney on Ionia said "Dollar Dog Monday... 1 topping dogs only... all other dogs $1.50". My question is, what's the difference between a "topping" and a condiment?

I didn't go in and ask because I have thing against that place right now, haven't eaten there since early last June for a number of reasons.

I would like to here your grievances, if you wouldn't mind sharing.

I would like to here your grievances, if you wouldn't mind sharing.

- whenever I orderred a burger to go I often opened the box to find that they hadn't put ketchup and mustard packets in, and sometimes when I would ask specifically for them when placing my order they still wouldn't be in the box

- slow/inconsistent service

- ridiculous methods for ordering food on Dollar Dog Mondays. The last time I was in there I stood in line to order my food, was handed the order ticket, then had to go stand in another line to pay before my order was sent back to the kitchen, then I had to wait for it to be prepared.

- cold/disgusting french fries

- they replaced their front counter staff just before I stopped going there , the new people were significatly less friendly (...and less attractive, but that isn't a valid grievance)

- everyday I see the kitchen staff and other employees smoking out in front of the restaurant on Ionia. For one its just disgusting, and two, why doesn't the management make them go into the back alley (if you're reading this and you're a smoker and you're offended by that comment... I don't apologize)

- they slashed their hours over the summer and decided to close at 3 pm. Prior to finding out about this, I went downstairs to get something to eat for dinner at 5:30 because I was going to be working late, only to find them closed.

Furthermore, I'd rather get some exercise by walking to restaurants on Monroe Mall anyway.

Thanks for the tip. I had a couple martini's there Sunday and was a little surprised they were $8 each. Very good, though. Top shelf liquor and I didn't ask - although I guess I paid for it :)

I was going to say, if I got top-shelf and didn't ask, I'd be ticked.

Took Mom out to Cygnus for her 90th birthday last Saturday night.

Fantastic place.

In addition to the views, the wait staff was excellent and attentive; the wine list was suprising (a great Montevina 2001 Zin for $38 -- those are LA prices, folks (which means cheaper than expected)); the menu was interesting and varied.

This is not a regular stop for anyone on my or my brother's budget, but I would recommend it for the big promotion congratulation dinner, anniversary, big birthday, etc.

Took Mom out to Cygnus for her 90th birthday last Saturday night.

Fantastic place.

In addition to the views, the wait staff was excellent and attentive; the wine list was suprising (a great Montevina 2001 Zin for $38 -- those are LA prices, folks (which means cheaper than expected)); the menu was interesting and varied.

This is not a regular stop for anyone on my or my brother's budget, but I would recommend it for the big promotion congratulation dinner, anniversary, big birthday, etc.

I've been checking out the Cygnus menu online, and it seems reasonable, but in actuality, it's more like $30 a plate?

Wait - i read it wrong. The prices are spelled out, rather than listed with the numbers. The numbers are suggested wines and such. $$$

Look closer... the prices are written out (thirty-nine, twenty-five, thirty, etc) If you and your significant other want to go to a romantic dinner, I'd highly recommend it, but be prepared to drop a hundred bucks or so. The food is awesome though.

Look closer... the prices are written out (thirty-nine, twenty-five, thirty, etc) If you and your significant other want to go to a romantic dinner, I'd highly recommend it, but be prepared to drop a hundred bucks or so. The food is awesome though.

We got a $100 gift certificate for the Chop House. We're already figuring we'll go $30 - $50 over that once you get drinks and tip in there.

Archived