Restaurant Review

fluffy

Anyone know of any good "Chinese" take out places in/around Alger Heights?

Good question - my brother-in-law tried something at the place next to Muncho's on Eastern and didn't feel so great afterwards. I've heard that Grand Lakes by the Breton D&W is supposed to be good and I've had decent sushi at Shogun on Breton and 28th.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went to Sundance Grill over the weekend . . . hostess was unwilling to sit us where we wanted to sit and when asked for a clean coffee cup the server acted like I had just asked for her first born . . .gee, sorry to make you do your job. Food was so-so . . .I had not been there in a while and was incredibly disappointed. Hoping that was just an "off" day but won't be rushing back to try again soon. :-(

Went to Sundance Grill over the weekend . . . hostess was unwilling to sit us where we wanted to sit and when asked for a clean coffee cup the server acted like I had just asked for her first born . . .gee, sorry to make you do your job. Food was so-so . . .I had not been there in a while and was incredibly disappointed. Hoping that was just an "off" day but won't be rushing back to try again soon. :-(

Which one did you go to? Isn't there one on 28th and one Downtown? I went to the one downtown and it was totally different than when I went to the one on 28th several years ago. There was no one at all at the downtown one. Salmon was way overcooked too.

Which one did you go to? Isn't there one on 28th and one Downtown? I went to the one downtown and it was totally different than when I went to the one on 28th several years ago. There was no one at all at the downtown one. Salmon was way overcooked too.

I've been to both and have to say the one in Cascade on 28th is better. Overall though, I haven't been that impressed with Sundance. I think there are better choices out there for the money. In fact, drive a little further east on 28th to Thai House for a really excellent meal. The prices are reasonable, too.

Downtown. It was packed. I have had good food and good service there before . .quite a while ago, but turn over is so high you never know what to expect . . .

It really drives me nuts when you go to a service oriented establishment and they act like you are doing THEM a huge favor by allowing them to wait on you. My tips reflect exactly the kind of service I get.

Downtown. It was packed. I have had good food and good service there before . .quite a while ago, but turn over is so high you never know what to expect . . .

It really drives me nuts when you go to a service oriented establishment and they act like you are doing THEM a huge favor by allowing them to wait on you. My tips reflect exactly the kind of service I get.

Don't blame the servers. The money is terrible, particularly at a place like Sundance. They may walk away with as little as $15/day. Hence the turnover. The other day there was one waitress covering the entire front room; she broke down and cried after her table of 9 each paid separately and left her bad tips. It isn't the servers, and for the most part not the management. Ownership plays the biggest part here. But the restaurant is just busy enough and there are enough kids who need jobs that it doesn't really phase them. What would help is if people commented to the ownership and instead of just saying, "I got terrible service," say "I got terrible service but it was obvious why because I only saw one waitress in the room" or "I come in every weekend and haven't gotten the same server twice." Taking bad service out on the server by giving bad tips doesn't hurt anyone but the server and doesn't change anything. If you truly think it is their fault, i.e., they are sitting around or talking on the phone or clearly disinterested, okay. But 9 times out of 10 they are doing the best they can under the circumstances. Make your voice heard by complaining to management or ownership or just by staying away.

While I agree partly with you about the management arguement, it is still their job to be my server. They should be pleasant even if they're understaffed and overworked. That is their job. I know it can be tough, but such is the service industry.

You're absolutely right, there's no excuse for taking out your bad attitude on a customer. I guess I was thinking of "poor service" more broadly, not really knowing the circumstances and being partial to the server's point of view. [i try to be careful; I don't want to be known as "Paris Texas Shoots from the Hip."]

It is obvious if a server is busting their butt b/c they are short staffed . . .what I am talking about is a lousy attitude and acting as if they are inconvenienced waiting on you . . . I am pretty laid back but if I ask for something I expect to receive it especially when I am paying for it. I worked in the service industry in my early days and it was hammered into our heads "the customer is always right" . . .and were told to check our attitudes at the door . . . a smile goes a long way . . .

Friday: The Cottage -- Great food, $15.00 for two :D. The service was great, a bit loud in there, but we were by a birthday party :alc:

Saturday: Big Bob's -- I had forgotten what a great pizza they had. It really was outstanding. We got there at about 7pm and sat right down, a pretty decent wait started after that. We ordered dinner salads first. They were pretty plain, salad and parmesan cheese. Also, there was WAY too much lettuce for the plate. It was overflowing everywhere, and it was impossible to mix the dressing in. I ate maybe a quarter of it, really just unnesessarily large. We got a large cheese pizza, which I just ate the last of tonight. It's great to have a place where you can sit down in a nice environment, have a Heffewiezen, and a eat too much pizza. It's also nice to be able to eat good pizza somewhere else besides the kitchen counter once in a while ;). Service was a tiny bit slow, but she appologized for that, so there must have been a good reason, plus they were packed and she was really friendly.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night we drove over to Grand Haven and picked up two of my favorite pizzas from Fricano's Pizza. You order one pizza per person, though I brought half of mine home. One size pizza, one type of crust and only a handful of items that you can put on it. My personal favorite and basically the style I order 99% of the time is an SPM(Sausage, Pepperoni and Mushroom) MMMMM, greasy goodness!

My family has to Kansas City Dipping Grill in Wyoming twice, and both times we received less than ideal service both times. The first time, the food took longer to get to us than it should and they didn't get it right on top of that. The second time, it took 20 minutes from the time we were seated to when someone got around to take our order.

But the thing that saved them in both cases was that the server apologized. If I receive bad service, I appreciate an acknowledgement of that. I never tip below 15% if I get a sincere apology. The second time, I not only received an apology from the server, but the manager came over and apologized over and over again, and gave us a GC for $20, one dollar for each minute we waited. So they will get our repeat business, since we happen to like their food very much as well.

Last night we drove over to Grand Haven and picked up two of my favorite pizzas from Fricano's Pizza. You order one pizza per person, though I brought half of mine home. One size pizza, one type of crust and only a handful of items that you can put on it. My personal favorite and basically the style I order 99% of the time is an SPM(Sausage, Pepperoni and Mushroom) MMMMM, greasy goodness!

The Fricano's outside of Kalamazoo was my family's pizza staple when I was still living there. Man, it's been way too long since I've been there.

Next time try their ribs. Some of the best I've ever had.

Don't know if anyone reviewed this one before, but ate at El Burrito Loco near the Knapp's Corner Meijer the other night. Used to be Bistro Bella Vita - Campagnia. Very good Mexican food. Service was great, and plenty of free chips and salsa as soon as we sat down. The food runners carry 5 and 6 plates on one arm, which is pretty cool to watch. :blink: Prices aren't bad either. :thumbsup:

Don't know if anyone reviewed this one before, but ate at El Burrito Loco near the Knapp's Corner Meijer the other night. Used to be Bistro Bella Vita - Campagnia. Very good Mexican food. Service was great, and plenty of free chips and salsa as soon as we sat down. The food runners carry 5 and 6 plates on one arm, which is pretty cool to watch. :blink: Prices aren't bad either. :thumbsup:

I love El Burrito Loco, the food is always excellent! The service is also always great!

Finally ate at Mangiamo's the other night. Great food and service, and the wait was not nearly as long as last time! :thumbsup:

Ate there this weekend with another couple. Saturday night, arrived a little after 8:00 p.m. and didn't have to wait at all for a table! That was a pleaseant surprise. We had antipasto - fried artichoke hearts and bruschetta. Both were very good. The bruschetta is not your typical - you actually get to build your own - a platter arrives with a stack of toast, the tomato mixture and hummus, tapenade and some sort of chese situation. It was all very good. Our meals, wine, dessert and service were fantastic. We closed out the restaurant and then closed out the bar. The staff never once made us feel like we should be hitting the road -they were VERY accomodating. Will definitely go back!

A neat interior detail - look for the chalk board wainscoating - you can leave your own message for later diners! Fun!

2 reviews to throw in for today...

Saturday afternoon I ate @ "Lindo Mexico" - Northwest corner of 28th/Clyde Park.

Was greeted promptly as I walked in and was seated immediately. I thought for sure I would have to wait at least a few minutes, as their small dining room was FILLED.

After I was seated, I was immediately brought a bowl of great tortilla chips and 2 kinds of salsa (The yellow/green salsa had some bite to it!)

Ordered the Steak chimichanga - D E L I C I O U S! Accompanied w/ rice, refried beans, lettuce and sour cream.

Very fast service for being very busy. Overall, I'd give it a 9/10. If you're looking for a great authentic mexican meal - I would highly recommend the "Lindo Mexico" 2747 Clyde Park SW - Wyoming MI 49509.

Saturday night the wifey and I made our way downtown (hadn't been downtown in a few months - thus is life...).

We started out @ Cottage Bar for dinner - got right in and were seated immediately. Dining area was quite full - so we had to settle for a table by the bathrooms. (blech - oh well). We were greeted immediately and had our Oberon's w/in 3 minutes - fantastic!

I ordered the Santa Fe Chicken sandwich - exactly what I expected and delicious to boot. My wife ordered the club sandwich and was happy with her meal. A 2nd Oberon later, we were off to Bistro Bella Vita so the wife could get her Martini fix.

I had never been to BBV before - I was impressed. Great service and what a selection of beers! I ended up getting a Belgiun "Scaldis" - quite tasty. Wife had 2 different martini's - I don't think she's ever had a bad martini - do they exist? I then moved onto a Glenfiddich 14 yr single malt scotch. Mmm...heaven in a glass. :) We split a Tiramisu - heaven on a plate. :)

About this time the event @ the Van was emptying out and people were everywhere. We waited for the traffic to thin out and then proceeded up to Founders.

Wow - Founders was PACKED. $4 cover charge, too - I've never been there when it was that packed. Ordered myself and the wife a couple of Belgium Monks (I think that's what they were). MMmm... I was bummed, though - Founders was out of IPA. When I tried to order one and the bartender said they were out, I sort of laughed and asked for an IPA. Couldn't believe he was serious. :-o

Stayed there long enough to go through 2 Belgium Monks and a pint of Dirty beotch.

Overall a great night on the town, and didn't break the bank - well - maybe just under $100 for the night.

My hubby and I went to Tuscan Express on 28th street for the first time and loved it! The food was unbelievable. I had the spinach ravioli and my husband had the lobster rissoto. For desert, we had the tiramisu. Delicious!!

The atmosphere was so cute - it's kind of strange because it is in a strip mall, but the inside is nice and cozy. The manager came around and asked how our dinner was, which always adds a nice touch to dinner. It was a little pricey, but worth every penny.

Archived