NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

14 hours ago, CLT Development said:

Their financial scenario says that there is a 954-seat music venue with a true sloped floor transition that offers great line of sight, that could use a ton of TLC. I don’t know if you have been there with the house lights on, its gross. Fix it up, put some money into marketing, get a independent operator and you have an amazing space for local, regional and even national acts.\

Today they put out in a statement that they “,will maintain the authentic use of Neighborhood Theatre as a storied piece of our city’s history.”

Such great bones as a venue but it needs to be cleaned up and for the love of god have the sound fixed. 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 4:15 PM, jf430 said:

Regarding the 'Arts District' moniker.  A good neighborhood friend who worked at every mill in North Charlotte at one time or another always had the best stories about old the neighborhood.  He would talk about how he (in a very kind and good natured way) would kid the gallery owners about how 'you know we'd been here about a 100 years before you guys ever showed up and started calling this place NoDa'.  The point I'm trying to make is that the 'Arts District' was one fantastic chapter in the very long book that is North Charlotte.

Fair point! A very valid perspective. You could say the same of SoHo or any number of neighborhoods in NYC or London.

I guess change is inevitable. We will hold on to this property regardless of all the posters here who said to move. Not sure if we will rent it or pass it on to the next generation, but it's a long-term hold. Really not looking forward to the monolith that's coming next door.

Neighbor met with the YMCA director and they are not showing any cards.

• Like 1

Fair point! A very valid perspective. You could say the same of SoHo or any number of neighborhoods in NYC or London.
I guess change is inevitable. We will hold on to this property regardless of all the posters here who said to move. Not sure if we will rent it or pass it on to the next generation, but it's a long-term hold. Really not looking forward to the monolith that's coming next door.

Yes change is inevitable, sorry that is the case in life. Evolving is the only way to survive. Not saying NoDa is moving in the right direction in every aspect but it must move in one or another or risk it’s eventual downfall. The cause of which I wouldn’t be even capable of thinking of off the top of my head. I’m glad you want to stay and think for yourself. As for YMCA, the only thing we can do is wait and see. Don’t worry about what you don’t know because as people have tried, no one has gotten any information to share. No news is technically good news for you in a way. It means they aren’t building that monolith tomorrow, or anytime soon.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ATxIn said:

I am generally comfortable with the NoDa NBA representing my interests & preferences on the future of that property but just out of curiosity what would you (or any others on here) like to see happen with it?  It's going to transform the neighborhood one way or the other when something happens there.

• Like 1

Not sure why anyone is sitting and waiting, I shared exactly whats happening there in this thread. I've seen the RFQ that people bid on. 300-400 unit residential, grocery, new YMCA and micro retail. Some open space facing North Davidson, massing that gets taller toward the train tracks. Simple as that. Thats what residential partners bid on. Seems like a lot for one parcel, but this parcel is an acre larger than the footprint of The Francis, Whole Foods, Even Hotel and Home 2Suites combined.
The winning developer has done a couple of these YMCA value ads, for reference linked. 
https://www.republicfamilyofcompanies.com/developments/ymca-arlington
https://www.republicfamilyofcompanies.com/developments/y-magnolia-village

Do you have access to site plans? I mean Im not in the loop I was more meaning movement at the site. Unless I have been under a rock I haven’t heard or seen any movement or coverage of construction or site prep happening. I personally don’t have any qualms with these plans, so please refrain telling anything that does not pertain to me or my opinions. I was offering consolation not an opinion on this site. Whether it was well received by the person in question I am not sure, but had nothing to do with an opinion on the site.

On 2/23/2023 at 12:49 PM, JeanClt said:

Not sure why anyone is sitting and waiting, I shared exactly whats happening there in this thread. I've seen the RFQ that people bid on. 300-400 unit residential, grocery, new YMCA and micro retail. Some open space facing North Davidson, massing that gets taller toward the train tracks. Simple as that. Thats what residential partners bid on. Seems like a lot for one parcel, but this parcel is an acre larger than the footprint of The Francis, Whole Foods, Even Hotel and Home 2Suites combined.
The winning developer has done a couple of these YMCA value ads, for reference linked. 

Do you know the timeline, or any idea of where the parking and entrance/exits will be? I believe they have to preserve green space facing N Davidson as there are heritage trees.  I understand at the tallest, the building could be 100 feet? I also wonder how long it would take to build something like this. For example, they've been working on the Commonwealth for almost two years now, and it seems like they are not very far alone.

To address the other previous poster, the YMCA did some community input sessions, coming up on four years ago. They did not, as far as I know, address any possibility of a grocery or apartments on the site. Nor do they care that their casual research was done in 2019, when the neighborhood was quite different than it is now.

Also, I understand the area around the Indie is not considered NoDa.  They are trying to market it as the "Trailhead" district. 

• Confused 3

On 2/23/2023 at 9:43 AM, CLT Development said:

Can you compare the size of this development to anything existing or under construction in the area? You mentioned it's an acre larger than .... but what is closer in size and scope? Camden? Commonwealth? Just trying to get an idea. A neighbor has met with the YMCA and the Y wanted to hear what we would "like to see" in the design and promised it won't be a "big blocky box." 

• Confused 2

On 2/27/2023 at 5:03 PM, ATxIn said:

Can you compare the size of this development to anything existing or under construction in the area? You mentioned it's an acre larger than .... but what is closer in size and scope? Camden? Commonwealth? Just trying to get an idea. A neighbor has met with the YMCA and the Y wanted to hear what we would "like to see" in the design and promised it won't be a "big blocky box." 

I don't think it'll be a big blocky box, NoDa has actually done pretty well for getting unique looking buildings because we generally demand it. I would think its 2-3 floors facing North Davidson and then tapers up to 7 floors facing the train. Its about the size of Camden NoDa plus the hosiery mill in scale. A lot can fit there. 

• Like 2

I was/still kind of am a fan of the vendors but when I was on the patio at Cabo in late June and my wife and I had to hit the ground and duck in to the restaurant because shots were fired right out front of the restaurant.  In the moment you don't know where it's coming from and that's jarring and a kind of experience that sticks even a little.  In that case it turns out someone tried to rob the CBD table and then let off his gun when the vendors associates were administering a beat down to the robber.  I know that guy was a bad actor and can't fault the vendors for reacting to someone robbing them.  But either way that experience has stuck, fortunately for me I had been to NoDa hundreds of times before so I know that's not the norm, but it wouldn't be good for the neighborhood or it's businesses if that type of experience or the one referred to above about the altercation was someone's introduction to the neighborhood.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^ its stories like this that remind me of how little enforcement I see from CMPD. I would bet that robbery would have been less likely to happen if CMPD had a policy of a regular, semi-permanent, walking or biking beat cops in central NoDa (and everywhere else in Charlotte where enforcement activities from a car (with the windows rolled up and AC on) is ineffective). 

I see bike cops semi-regularly in Southend, but never once have I seen them engage with anyone for any reason [<— anecdote disguised as data]. I do see them regularly riding on the sidewalk, so I guess biking on the road is too dangerous for CMPD.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Have never been a fan of the street vendors personally. It makes an already small sidewalk more cramped. In some spots it feels like you have to step into the road, which is the opposite of a positive pedestrian experience. 

Would be nice to further limit or outright remove on-street parking on North Davidson for a lot of this area, but this would require enforcement from CMPD they are not interested in.

I love street vendors - particularly as many as NoDa has - just wish there were also some soft good ones and some food ones too. Sorta wish Camden St. In SouthEnd would become a 1 way, Widen the sidewalks and have lots of vendors there too. 

It sucks anytime there is crime. It can really affect peoples habits after 1 incident as noted above, so. Not to be dismissive of those experiences but i overall view the vendors as a good thing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1