NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

Fire a couple blocks outside of NoDa at vacant warehouse at 26th and N Tryon.  Determined to be Arson.  🤔

https://www.qcnews.com/charlotte/massive-building-fire-closes-portion-of-north-tryon-street/

This was the old Wurth lumber warehouse storage next to Sycamore Cabinetry 

Next to a site (green) that has been on the market for a while.

image.thumb.png.2a82620a60ae546c1fb92ede2f604fa2.png

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

The Johnston Y redevelopment seems to be moving along. No rezoning is needed but the neighborhood wants input.

https://charlotte.axios.com/336216/developer-mixed-use-noda-village-johnston-ymca/

Even though this rezoning happened before UDO passage, I sense a brewing backlash against planning department phenomena over the past 5 years to streamline densification and redevelopment.  City can’t withhold permits due to ardent community opposition, can it?  I want to be optimistic that the central green space is an attempt to preserve the heritage (or at least massive) trees on site.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

this was in a story with a headline about the Southend apartment boom but the headline should be re-written.  This might be in the area called the Mill District Villa Heights Optimist Park and NoDa and Sugar Creek station. 

""Like the South End area, NoDa and its surrounding neighborhoods are popular for new apartments. Currently, about 2,500 units are under construction in that area. Addington said its appeal for developers and renters, similar to South End, is due to proximity to uptown and access to public transit.""

and about Southend:  

"""I believe it’s the proximity to the light rail and the proximity to uptown that makes South End so attractive," she said. "South End gets above-average rental rates and those properties do really well when they sell."

Currently, the submarket has about 1,700 units under construction and another 3,000 proposed.""

More maybe proposed in the greater Southend area but seems like the area north of 277 loop up to Sugar Creek Road has more underway right now. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/08/21/south-end-loso-apartments-development-construction.html

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

@CLT Development told me about this today.  Evidently Republic has pulled out the Johnston Y development.  While some in the community celebrated this it could be bad in the long run. 

Johnston Y will remain open "for the foreseeable future" - Axios Charlotte

some of this from people contacting the state about a deed restriction on the property for the community good.  However I am sure the Y is not going to pour more money into the aging building.  So nothing will happen for now.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

@CLT Development told me about this today.  Evidently Republic has pulled out the Johnston Y development.  While some in the community celebrated this it could be bad in the long run. 

Johnston Y will remain open "for the foreseeable future" - Axios Charlotte

some of this from people contacting the state about a deed restriction on the property for the community good.  However I am sure the Y is not going to pour more money into the aging building.  So nothing will happen for now.  

Yep, no more cheap money feeding and fueling a real estate frenzy.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/21/2023 at 2:19 PM, KJHburg said:

While some in the community celebrated this it could be bad in the long run. 

I'm a bit happy with it. Although it pains me to side with the growing tide of NIMBYs in the area, I do think the Y would be a big loss. Also like like the front of the building with that green space, but I know it's pretty aged on the inside. Of course, the neighborhood could also really use the grocery store that was rumored.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 9/22/2023 at 8:59 PM, Desert Power said:

I'm a bit happy with it. Although it pains me to side with the growing tide of NIMBYs in the area, I do think the Y would be a big loss. Also like like the front of the building with that green space, but I know it's pretty aged on the inside. Of course, the neighborhood could also really use the grocery store that was rumored.

I wouldn't be happy, the Y has a large operating deficit on the property and does not want to run it, it'll just keep going down hill. 

Edited by CLT Development
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 9/24/2023 at 10:47 AM, CLT Development said:

I wouldn't be happy, the Y has a large operating deficit on the property and does not want to run it, it'll just keep going down hill. 

I don't doubt that at all I'm just very curious how they managed for so long through the lean years and now with thousands of new people they are having trouble.  Always appreciate your insight.

All rational development thinking on my part goes out the window when we take the kids to see Santa on that lawn and they tell him what they want for Christmas.  That's pretty special and I've confirmed through multiple sources that it is the real Santa Claus. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jf430 said:

I don't doubt that at all I'm just very curious how they managed for so long through the lean years and now with thousands of new people they are having trouble.  Always appreciate your insight.

All rational development thinking on my part goes out the window when we take the kids to see Santa on that lawn and they tell him what they want for Christmas.  That's pretty special and I've confirmed through multiple sources that it is the real Santa Claus. 

I mean, the Y is likely going to leave the building and sell to a property banker with no plans now… so I am sure the neighborhood will love a large abandoned blight in the middle of their area, that will soon be filled with homeless

38 minutes ago, jf430 said:

I think Covid just gutted them, and they seem to be more interested in making really grandiose investments in their other properties in wealthier areas like a retractable dome in ballantyne.

image.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

I mean, the Y is likely going to leave the building and sell to a property banker with no plans now… so I am sure the neighborhood will love a large abandoned blight in the middle of their area, that will soon be filled with homeless

That would/will be pretty rough.  

My own ignorance is the problem here but how can that many people within walking distance not keep that place in the black?  If it can't work here how does it work anywhere?  

6 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

I think Covid just gutted them, and they seem to be more interested in making really grandiose investments in their other properties in wealthier areas like a retractable dome in ballantyne.

image.png

Thank you

33 minutes ago, jf430 said:

That would/will be pretty rough.  

My own ignorance is the problem here but how can that many people within walking distance not keep that place in the black?  If it can't work here how does it work anywhere?  

Thank you

I have had to go to the Ballantyne Y for a couple of things recently.  Us giving up what means a lot to us to give even them more is a tough pill to swallow.   We'll do it and move on but I hope they enjoy their dome.

21 minutes ago, jf430 said:

I have had to go to the Ballantyne Y for a couple of things recently.  Us giving up what means a lot to us to give even them more is a tough pill to swallow.   We'll do it and move on but I hope they enjoy their dome.

If they get their dome and we lose YMCA presence in the neighborhood that'll be a tragedy. 

• Like 1

My husband worked for the Charlotte area ymca group for about 6 years in their marketing department up until about 4 months ago. They pay their employees 30-40% below market value (he doubled his salary doing the same job at his new company) but people like the c-suites make well into the 150-500k mark. People also are less inclined to pay $70 a month for a gym when there are cheaper options. Yes their whole thing is “more than a gym” and there are a lot of benefits to membership, but it can be pretty pricey long term. Anyway all of that to say they struggle to attract talent because of their low pay and they have high overhead costs. 

What projects get allocated money is determined A LOT by WHO donated to them and what their wishlist includes. Johnston was actually on the decline before covid (ironically a lot of people that live in that area now can no longer afford it) and yes Covid saw the clt Y lose about 40,000 members across 19 branches. They are close to being back to their original count but my husband was furloughed for 2 months in 2020 with 12 people on his team laid off permanently. 

They still rely heavily on donations from some big names around Charlotte to keep them operating and so because of this, they prioritize the wishes of those donors. In the Ballantyne case, they are trying to attract members back because of a new Y in Indian Trail/Land that took a lot of SC members. That Y is not part of the Charlotte group and they lost a couple hundred members there alone. I know that they were looking forward to the Johnston sale because it would save money and they could prioritize other branches but who knows now. 

As another example, the y doesn’t participate in the pride festival (even though many Ys in the area do) because of the pushback from a big multimillion dollar donor and board member. He threatened to pull all of his future donations if he heard about them having a booth or being in the parade. He’s best friends with the “Director of Christian Emphasis” (Another 6 figure job) which is not really surprising. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, BJKM said:

As another example, the y doesn’t participate in the pride festival (even though many Ys in the area do) because of the pushback from a big multimillion dollar donor and board member. He threatened to pull all of his future donations if he heard about them having a booth or being in the parade. He’s best friends with the “Director of Christian Emphasis” (Another 6 figure job) which is not really surprising. 

May I ask why you aren't naming these people? The board of directors is public information. The Y Mission - Leadership Team | YMCA of Greater Charlotte (ymcacharlotte.org)

• 2 weeks later...