NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

Even though I don't want NoDa "proper" to have a full-service grocer (it seems non-contextual), and I am not a fan of affluent whimsy, I do understand why people would want a grocer better than Food Lion.

FL is very solid, but it's really just those last handful of items that you can only get at HT (or others, I suppose) that make me constantly go to HT over FL.

Like... idk... that one brand of non-dairy milk, or... whole dates (don't get me started on how difficult it is to find whole, non-pitted dates outside of HT).

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

^my issue with FL was that (when I last shopped there) the produce quality is poor, particularly when compared to teeter. I also lack confidence in their meat.

Having said that it seems like produce quality at teeter has slipped since the Kroger purchase (there is lots more slightly wilted stuff in the bins that would have been tossed back in the pre-merger days). Also they frequently run out of slightly unusual stuff (okra is regularly oos)

• Like 2

I shop the produce all the time at multiple FL's and HT's (Tega Cay, Rivergate, Tiny Teeter, Sandy Porter, Plaza). FL always is better produce on general items except at the affluent HT's. Lots of people dog the ole kitty, but my experience has been good 99% of the time vs other stores. But that been my experience, I realize others  might be different.

8 hours ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

Aldi, ethnic grocery stores

Good tip, thank you!

10 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

Once a Publix fan always a Publix fan!

When I went to the Publix in South End I eventually found their whole dates in the bulk candy/dried fruit section (not produce), where they were old and crystalized, because who thinks to look in dried fruit section for fresh fruitstuffs?

That turned me off Publix for a while... just kidding... (but seriously)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2018 at 8:53 PM, 11 HouseBZ said:

I shop the produce all the time at multiple FL's and HT's (Tega Cay, Rivergate, Tiny Teeter, Sandy Porter, Plaza). FL always is better produce on general items except at the affluent HT's. Lots of people dog the ole kitty, but my experience has been good 99% of the time vs other stores. But that been my experience, I realize others  might be different.

Couldn't agree more - I've been consistently impressed with how fresh the Plaza FL produce is compared to HT... really the only drawback is that the assortment of items is a little narrower.

• Like 2

Not grocer related, but food related; Tomorrow afternoon Cousins Maine Lobster Truck (Found on Shark Tank) will be at Divine Barrell Brewing NoDa from 5-9pm. They are headed here from Ballyntyne Corporate Park where they offered an Earth Day lunch.  

Next Friday at Sycamore Brewing (5-9pm) and Saturday at Blue Blaze (12-5pm)   Have been waiting for them to go mobile so this is gonna rock.....Enjoy!!

fullsizeoutput_8b.jpeg

• Like 2

Asana snaps up another building near Novel NoDa apartments for retail repositioning. 

""Asana acquired the roughly 20,000-square-foot warehouse building at 436 E. 36th St. for $4.1 million, according to Mecklenburg County real estate records. The property, which sits on a 1.5-acre site between 35th and 36th streets, was sold by NODA 3536, affiliated with Tony Kuhn, president of Flywheel Group.""

Subscriber article https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/04/24/asana-partners-continues-buying-spree-with-noda.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=article_du&ed=2018-04-24&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1524598305&j=81203231

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Asana snaps up another building near Novel NoDa apartments for retail repositioning. 

""Asana acquired the roughly 20,000-square-foot warehouse building at 436 E. 36th St. for $4.1 million, according to Mecklenburg County real estate records. The property, which sits on a 1.5-acre site between 35th and 36th streets, was sold by NODA 3536, affiliated with Tony Kuhn, president of Flywheel Group.""

Subscriber article https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/04/24/asana-partners-continues-buying-spree-with-noda.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=article_du&ed=2018-04-24&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1524598305&j=81203231

So, how many old commercial properties does Asana have now?
- This NEWCO warehouse building in NoDa

- The Phat Burrito building row

What else again?

I have become too accustomed to expecting any innocuous building to be demoed and redeveloped, so even if their business model involves pumping up these properties's value for so many years so they can be sold and THEN demoed and redeveloped,  I will enjoy this golden age while it lasts.  :lol:

• Like 2

^^^ The own several buildings around the Design Center (and the DC itself)  and down on Tremont, the Phat Burrito bldg. and now this NoDa building the retail building in front of the new Novel NoDa apartments, the retail portion of Tryon Place and Stonewall Station and that is just off the top of my head. Others may know of more.  They are building quite the retail empire and it heavily concentrated in South End, some in uptown and now in NoDa.  Retail feeds off other retail and that is why they are clustering their buildings.  Remember Krispy Kreme is going into one of their buildings on Tremont.  

Plus Asana owns that 1800 Camden Rd building at the corner of Camden and West and I think they own the DSW shoe store building on South Blvd too  and that building at Hawkins and Tremont.   They are definitely on a tear with acquisitions 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, was working from home today and heard all this racket on the ACWR tracks.  Can anyone tell what this machine is doing? It's extremely loud but if it makes walking the tracks to NoDa proper easier/better, I'm all for it.

IMG_20180509_132955707_HDR.jpg

Edited by UPNoDa
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Scribe said:

They could be just fixing the intersection as well.... :tw_glasses:

This is my guess, there is no sign of grading yet for the new alignment, they are gonna need to move a good bit of dirt first. 

I think it’s a bad sign they have the tamper working in NoD, it suggests to me that the new alignment is a long way off.

• 2 weeks later...