NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

6 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Last I heard this is not happening. Which is really too bad as it would help a ton with connectivity. 

It's planned, but unfunded in the CIP. I would expect that it will happen if those lots start to develop (probably with developers pitching in). http://charlottenc.gov/Projects/Pages/PhilemonExt.aspxInsert other media

20 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Now I am really disappointed not the 18 pump QuikTrip in NoDa either LOL

""Storefronts along Davidson will include a gift shop for the brewery, 801 Chophouse - a high-end steakhouse (also St. Louis based), a Pic-n-Pay shoe store and a Banana Republic Kids clothing store.The last and final element in the plan calls for an 18-pump Quick Trip gas station.  We hereby submit for council approval of this new altered plan.  If you believe this lie is true, just ask the blind man, she saw it too.  

James "April Fool" the Jester""

Yes, all that plus " big horses pulling beer around on a wagon. "  It always pays to read the details lest one become the victim of James the Jester.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

who owns this prime piece of real estate across 36th St from Novel NoDa apartments and next to light rail?  This lot would be a good midrise site.   Any plans I have missed about it? 

IMG_6692.JPG

I'm having trouble, is this the backpart of the mill?image.png.20fb63ff08ea3df7078c0a12aa9eea9b.png

12 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Yes that is it exactly so would it be the mill owner?  It is prime property they should develop if they own it. 

I think the city, but LOI'd to the developer who did Mecklenburg Mill next door. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

“NoDa Warehouse District” per the article. That area is going to explode over the next 5-10 years. Existing mini street grid with a couple blocks worth of empty lots and old warehouses. 

The area is going to explode if Flywheel is a real company with real vision, and not just a marketing company parading as a developer. Personally I'm very concerned that a single person hold the future of an entire district with huge potential. Look at Grubb, look at Levine and to some extent look at Pappas. I think people are too busy falling in love with Odell renderings to think straight.

Edited by Guest

It’s coming with or without Flywheel. Two breweries (Bold Missy, Divine Barrel) already open within spitting distance of the Sugar Creek Station, along with Crown Station Pub. The properties Flywheel is buying are so far all on the north side of the tracks. The area and street grid I’m talking about is the blocks around BM/DB.

Anderson/Atmore/Norwell/Northmore and of course the re-aligned Davidson St at Sugar Creek

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Third Strike said:

The Charlotte Observer did an article on the lack of a grocery store in NoDa:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article208137949.html

Would be nice to at least have an Aldi or Lidl in NoDa, at some point.

Interesting point about road capacity, and NoDa is so pre-war, the roads are small.

• Like 1

The Charlotte Observer did an article on the lack of a grocery store in NoDa:
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article208137949.html
Would be nice to at least have an Aldi or Lidl in NoDa, at some point.

At least two former or current UPers contributed on this article [emoji6]. NoDa has a long road ahead to attract a grocer. In the article it’s mentioned that Asana is purchasing another adjacent building. I believe they are purchasing the Flywheel owned building behind Sabor that was being purchased by Eller Capital (spelling) for apartments. That building is even worse for Grocery but might be interesting to see what happens there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's surprising to me that a pace like Noda still hasn't created a co-op grocer, a format that just feels more fitting in the first place. Downtown Asheville's is solid, and one like it would fill the niche that Food Lion doesn't.  

Anyone familiar with the unique obstacles to opening a co-op grocer?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SgtCampsalot said:

It's surprising to me that a pace like Noda still hasn't created a co-op grocer, a format that just feels more fitting in the first place. Downtown Asheville's is solid, and one like it would fill the niche that Food Lion doesn't.  

Anyone familiar with the unique obstacles to opening a co-op grocer?

The biggest obstacle is finding members of the community that want to be on the founding board and put the sweat and tears into starting a cooperative where you don't even enjoy all the profits at the end. When people start a small restaurant or small business, they hope to feed their family and put a roof over their head via their work. With a cooperative, you have all the challenging work of creating a business from scratch, but then other people share in the limited profit a co-op typically makes. You certainly aren't going to make income off the dividend of a profitable co-op that would allow you to not have another source of income [if it is even profitable].

Many co-ops affiliate with Co+op to help with the supply chain and ordering products. Co+op can help manage inventory for the large amount of staples that are not grown locally like lettuce, many fruits, almonds, avocados, etc... So rather than the local co-op having to negotiate a contract to purchase lettuce from Organic Girl in California, the co-op can source from the Co+op distribution center in the Southeast and Co+op maintains the relationship/contract with Organic Girl. 
http://strongertogether.coop/

It will truly take a community minded person(s) that has the time, connections, business acumen, knowledge of supply chain, legal experience, and ability to raise funds from members and get loans to buy all the initial equipment/leases/inventory, etc... My guess is there are people in NoDa with those skills.... but they have full time jobs or just aren't passionate enough to direct their skills towards a co-op vs pursuing other interests. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

^Exactly, I've never had an issue shopping at the ole kitty and have found everything I've needed there. They also have one of the most extensive beer selections I've seen in a Food Lion, though I can't ever share in that selection when I shop there. Plus the butchers are great (shout out to you Allie Cat).

• Like 2

On 4/13/2018 at 8:13 AM, tozmervo said:

Its so weird to me that NoDa residents just dismiss the Food Lion with a wave of a hand. That store is a perfectly good grocery store that sells like 95% of what people in that neighborhood would possibly want at a grocery store, and MUCH cheaper that HT or Publix. I guess without a cheese and olive bar it doesn't count. 

It used to be a pretty depressing looking place. It looks much better post-renovation. My guess is many people simply haven't ever gone to it since it was renovated a year or two ago. It's still no Teeter, but it isn't a dump anymore either.