NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

4 hours ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

Just heard the Davidson street public house is gonna be Billy Jacks and they said they'll be open by the end of July. Hope this sticks.

Damn.  Public House always had excellent food.   Sadly, I worry that NoDa just doesn't support slightly more upscale places.   

30 minutes ago, dubone said:

Damn.  Public House always had excellent food.   Sadly, I worry that NoDa just doesn't support slightly more upscale places.   

I mean, isn't haberdish a slightly more upscale place?

18 minutes ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

At the very least I'm hoping for something to stick to this location. Restaurants can't make it here for some reason

I'm sure an influx of people from apartments and light rail will help places stick more. Though I think people stick to their 'hoods on week nights.

How about we just get the grand ole' girl on the corner back up an running.  I would even be happy with some local peeps (myself included) to pool our funds and give this place the life that it deserves.  

Hearing cricket sounds since last year's announcement of Moo & Brew. :tw_sleepy:

On 6/22/2018 at 4:01 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Upscale?  It is food in the style of old mill worker food.  Fried chicken for $6 is not upscale.    But they do have a $24 menu item... for an entire smoked chicken. 

54 minutes ago, dubone said:
On 6/22/2018 at 4:01 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Upscale?  It is food in the style of old mill worker food.  Fried chicken for $6 is not upscale.    But they do have a $24 menu item... for an entire smoked chicken. 

I don't think old mill workers were buying $16 cocktails though :lol: 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Moo & Brew is a no-go. Building is slated to be torn down along with Smelly Cat in the next few years once they redevelop the whole corner. Or so I’ve heard. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is that a solid rumor?   That will be a sad to lose those icons of the neighborhood, and while it has been bastardized over the years, that was an old home.  

15 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

I don't think old mill workers were buying $16 cocktails though :lol: 

Hehe. true, because I just checked the inflation calculator and that was 60 cents back then.   

That was an entire day's wages for those teenagers.

http://docsouth.unc.edu/nc/mckelway/mckelway.html

35 minutes ago, dubone said:

Is that a solid rumor?   That will be a sad to lose those icons of the neighborhood, and while it has been beotchized over the years, that was an old home.  

Its a verifiable rumor. Smelly Cat has said its land will eventually be sold to a developer, and that they are looking for a new home once their lease runs out. Same owner for both. Throw in Company Store, and the Dirt Lot on Yadkin and you have a pretty nice assemblage. 

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

Leave company store Mr/ Mrs future developer, for selfish reasons of my own. One being that if the band isn't good at Jack beagles I'll go to the back porch and listen to the one at the company store. The rest of the lots, you have my unecessary blessing.

agreed 100%. Company Store is owned by @Charlotte_native (who hasnt't posted in 8 years :-( ) so keep UP people in business forever.

Edited by Guest

On 6/26/2018 at 10:57 AM, dubone said:

Have you been there?  It definitely has an upscale (perhaps above "slightly upscale") vibe inside.

1 hour ago, archiham04 said:

Have you been there?  It definitely has an upscale (perhaps above "slightly upscale") vibe inside.

Mhmm.    I'm sure they have the deluxe deep-fat fryer!      They do have all the edison bulbs that 2016 could muster.  They even have copper anodized chairs, so they can be high end like a one cent piece.   But they don't have a fireplace like new Wendy's do, so I'm not sure where that places them on the scale.  ;) 

Haberdash is fine and if that is the nicest food establishment that NoDa will support, then so be it.  NoDa can have their an upscale fried chicken and okra joint, an upscale popsicle place, an upscale latin street food place, an upscale cajun place, an upscale crepe place, an upscale giant pizza slice place, and an upscale fish taco place.   I suppose the only non-upscale place is Brook's Sandwich Shop, assuming we agree on that. 

I'm mostly teasing around.  But Davidson Public House was a bit pricier than the rest and a bit more foodie food, it was still $$ not $$$, and had excellent reviews and it is now out of business.   

I'm really bummed about Smelly Cat and the corner house.  But I think Scott and Joey's Co Store has a different owner that is more about the neighborhood.  I couldn't be sure if the LLC is theirs but appears at least to be different owner than the those.

21 minutes ago, dubone said:

Mhmm.    I'm sure they have the deluxe deep-fat fryer!      They do have all the edison bulbs that 2016 could muster.  They even have copper anodized chairs, so they can be high end like a one cent piece.   But they don't have a fireplace like new Wendy's do, so I'm not sure where that places them on the scale.  ;) 

Haberdash is fine and if that is the nicest food establishment that NoDa will support, then so be it.  NoDa can have their an upscale fried chicken and okra joint, an upscale popsicle place, an upscale latin street food place, an upscale cajun place, an upscale crepe place, an upscale giant pizza slice place, and an upscale fish taco place.   I suppose the only non-upscale place is Brook's Sandwich Shop, assuming we agree on that. 

I'm mostly teasing around.  But Davidson Public House was a bit pricier than the rest and a bit more foodie food, it was still $$ not $$$, and had excellent reviews and it is now out of business.   

I'm really bummed about Smelly Cat and the corner house.  But I think Scott and Joey's Co Store has a different owner that is more about the neighborhood.  I couldn't be sure if the LLC is theirs but appears at least to be different owner than the those.

I talked to S&J last year and that LLC was just passed to the owners kids, so who knows.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I talked to S&J last year and that LLC was just passed to the owners kids, so who knows.

Ah ok.  Hopefully the effort they've made is the highest and best use of that land for the foreseeable.  But also, if the 36th St land gets redeveloped, it'll surely be a 3-6 story box with the arse end facing Co Store, so let's hope the developer has some ethic that isn't on display by tearing down some landmarks. 

Ah ok.  Hopefully the effort they've made is the highest and best use of that land for the foreseeable.  But also, if the 36th St land gets redeveloped, it'll surely be a 3-6 story box with the arse end facing Co Store, so let's hope the developer has some ethic that isn't on display by tearing down some landmarks. 

NoDa Neighborhood association has learned a lot from Mercury. Their newsletter has every NoDa related rezoning, people are informed and they stand up for what’s right.

I don’t want a historic house to go, but is it the best use for the land? If we can get something good here it could be worth while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone heard anything more recent about the 'Greenway District' major mixed use development that's been talked about the last 1.5 years?  Think it will really happen or just another 'Levine' type of situation - Pregnant with potential but never quite giving birth to a ground-breaking... :dunno:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Anyone heard anything more recent about the 'Greenway District' major mixed use development that's been talked about the last 1.5 years?  Think it will really happen or just another 'Levine' type of situation - Pregnant with potential but never quite giving birth to a ground-breaking... :dunno:

Flywheel doesn't have the bandwidth to develop the whole district itself. Its going to take a lot of years, and a lot of Joint Ventures.

11 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I do know that Wood Partners included in their Brevard/25th St plans to build a portion of the Greenway next to their lot.

Idk whether they're going to just build their own plaza, or wait to build something when the city does 25th St bridge...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

NoDa Neighborhood association has learned a lot from Mercury. Their newsletter has every NoDa related rezoning, people are informed and they stand up for what’s right.

I don’t want a historic house to go, but is it the best use for the land? If we can get something good here it could be worth while.

But as soon as the neighborhood loses its character -- the very reason people have been attracted to it -- and it turns into just another rubber stamp suburb, it could be the beginning of its ultimate demise.  Georgetown is still a thriving neighborhood in DC because nobody ever thought that letting historic structures go is "the best use of the land."  The neighborhood has the same character and charm it had 20, 30, 50, 100, 200 years ago.  It remains a magnet.

• Like 3