Greenville Drive Baseball

West End Field ranked as one of the top six to see in the country by ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/travel/news/story?id=2522251 :thumbsup:

This is actually just the latest installment of a much broader series of ballpark road trips:

http://sports.espn.go.com/travel/news/story?id=2497969

They're trying to make good because they left out a couple of the nicer ones (and not so nice ones too). :whistling:

DRIVE PRESS RELEASE ABOUT BALLPARK OF THE YEAR.

But, before I get to that, let me say that the big offseason news this year will be the naming rights deal for West End Field. And with it being a "destination ballpark," you can count on the calibre of the naming rights partner (and the cash value) to have gone up. But, in naming rights' deals, the value is largely in the mentions the field gets in the media -- and the markets where it gets mentioned. That's one reason ballparks in AA and AAA would typically fetch more money: the name gets mentioned to fans in bigger, more desirable markets in those leagues. Still, let's just hope it's not Dr. Scholl's, Preparation H or Cruex that the team deals with. One naming controversy a year is too much to handle....

Okay, without further ado:

West End Field Ballpark Of The Year Presentation

Drive to Formally Accept Award During Saturday

After having nearly a year to compare and contrast the numbers, I guess it really is true that the classification of the team really doesn't matter to the vast majority of fans coming to the ballpark regarding the differences between Single A and Double A, for if it did, then there would be far fewer at SAL teams than Southern League teams. Now if we are comparing AAA teams, then you could expect attendance nightly over 6,000 in good locations.

Excellent points. I borrowed from them at the game on Saturday when a visitor in my box said, "It's too bad that our government leaders couldn't get their act together to save the Braves and now we have to put up with this, a Single-A team!"

I about scratched my eyeballs out when I heard that!

There's another factor involved in attendance figures and that's market size. Most AA teams are in larger MSAs than Single-A (especially Low A) teams. On the one hand, that means they should have more fans to draw from as their base. On the other hand, I assume it means there's more competition for discretionary family spending. But I've got to believe that this cuts in favor of higher attendance for AA teams.

Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson MSA is one of the largest MSAs with a Single-A team. So I can see how -- judging from that -- people might say we should have a AA team. (The people in my box for the game on Saturday were claiming it should be AAA if not AA.) But there are 4 (at my last count) Single A teams in larger MSAs. And I'm not sure whether we're drawing across the MSA. But the real killer stat in all of this is the bottom line story for the Rhinos, Grrrowl and whatever the basketball developmental league team was called.... Greenville just is not worthy of a high-end sports team given its track record of flagging support for its minor leagues sports teams.

On paper we may look better than we are in terms of drawing power, but this town -- until this baseball season -- has failed, repeatedly, to live up to its potential and is damn lucky to have the Drive, let alone the venue that came with the team.

Excellent points. I borrowed from them at the game on Saturday when a visitor in my box said, "It's too bad that our government leaders couldn't get their act together to save the Braves and now we have to put up with this, a Single-A team!"

I about scratched my eyeballs out when I heard that!

There's another factor involved in attendance figures and that's market size. Most AA teams are in larger MSAs than Single-A (especially Low A) teams. On the one hand, that means they should have more fans to draw from as their base. On the other hand, I assume it means there's more competition for discretionary family spending. But I've got to believe that this cuts in favor of higher attendance for AA teams.

Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson MSA is one of the largest MSAs with a Single-A team. So I can see how -- judging from that -- people might say we should have a AA team. (The people in my box for the game on Saturday were claiming it should be AAA if not AA.) But there are 4 (at my last count) Single A teams in larger MSAs. And I'm not sure whether we're drawing across the MSA. But the real killer stat in all of this is the bottom line story for the Rhinos, Grrrowl and whatever the basketball developmental league team was called.... Greenville just is not worthy of a high-end sports team given its track record of flagging support for its minor leagues sports teams.

On paper we may look better than we are in terms of drawing power, but this town -- until this baseball season -- has failed, repeatedly, to live up to its potential and is damn lucky to have the Drive, let alone the venue that came with the team.

Good points, Fiddlestix. I agree that the Drive are a real asset to our city. They have done everything first class, and we are fortunate to have them - regardless of minor league classification (most people don't know or care, anyway).

On the opposite end of the spectrum from your arguments, however, I contend that a significant portion of the public shouldn't be expected to support the crap we have been given as "professional" sports teams lately. I don't feel obligated to consistently support something simply because they have "Greenville" written on their jerseys, and most other people don't either. It is ridiculous to put low- to middle-level quality minor league football, basketball, and hockey teams out there and expect people to come in droves to support them on a consistent basis. I realize that it's hard to market minor league basketball or division II arena football, but it seems like most of these owners have done nothing to engage the city or its residents in their efforts. It's not like the tickets were particularly affordable, either. $35 to sit courtside at a Groove game? Uh, no thanks.

That's the difference between those other wanna-be's and the Drive. From day one, the Drive were involved, they were visible, and they were excited about their product. Were the Groove excited about their product? Perhaps, but most people didn't even know that the National Basketball Development League moved their headquarters to Greenville after that first year. What community service activities did the Rhinos engage in? Many people probably didn't even know we had a hockey team, much less when they played. Everyone knew about the Drive, and still do. And hey, guess what? The attendance records have been broken and people love the Drive. Is it because people here love baseball that much? I don't think so. I think it is because the Drive owners have made sure to be visible, engage the public, be involved, and offer everyone a lot of value for their ticket dollars (which are already VERY reasonable). Amazingly enough, that seems to be a successful formula! Whoda thunk it? :lol:

"It's too bad that our government leaders couldn't get their act together to save the Braves and now we have to put up with this, a Single-A team!"

That seems like an easy statement to make, doesn't? Just get the right people together in a room with right snacks and power point presentations and 6 hours later, you have a deal. That's not how the real world works.

I like the Braves, still hope against hope they can get a wild card. Understand fully that their business model for the minor's, especially with Time Warner at the helm, is like that cheap relative you have who never makes the first move to pick up that $15 restaurant check. That's cool, that's the way they play.

And I'll always respect Steve Desalvo, etc., for the entertainment and support of the local community, like middle school sports.

But at the end of the day, The Drive bought their own stadium. They are not moving anywhere, they have actual, physical incentives to keep folks coming into their field. The owner is moving into a condo overlooking center field.

What a season it has been as well. I love minor league ball for all its hopeful players, hokey promotions, cheap predictable food. All I ask for is to be treated like the team wants me there, hopefully with a smile.

The Drive did that for the 10 or so games I made this year. I really appreciate that, and have every expectation that with the buzz and positive foundation laid in work with community service organizations and local business, next season will be even better.

Nicely done Drive, thanks for a great 2006.

Every concern I had about this team: from parking to interfering with the five nearby churches, to getting folks to walk past Falls Park towards the West End, etc. were more than answered.

As an aside, I see where Edwin McCain is going to have a concert at West End Field later this month. I might see if I can make it

I told my wife tonight that another great thing they could have there would be some sort of way to incorporate the ballpark with Fall for Greenville activities and maybe even have an Upstate Bar-B-Que challenge - with blue grass / and blues music players on the field and local Bar-B-Que businesses selling their wares and competing for prizes around the concourse area.

As successful as the season has been and as professional and classy as this organization is, I'm quite in shock that they've not updated their web site in a while. The last game recap on there is from the Augusta doubleheader. There's no recap of any of the last games from the last home series. And, the thing that surprises me the most is that there's not some huge final story on the site thanking the fans for all of their support throughout this hugely successful (at the box office, at least) first season. :shok::blink::rolleyes:

Ahem! :P

As successful as the season has been and as professional and classy as this organization is, I'm quite in shock that they've not updated their web site in a while. The last game recap on there is from the Augusta doubleheader. There's no recap of any of the last games from the last home series. And, the thing that surprises me the most is that there's not some huge final story on the site thanking the fans for all of their support throughout this hugely successful (at the box office, at least) first season. :shok::blink::rolleyes:

Ahem! :P

I don't want to beat a deadhorse, because we've talked about their site before, but what the heck.

As professional and well organized an operation as there is with the Greenville Drive/West End Field, their communications and web efforts leave a lot to be desired.

They had a nicely designed site up until, what, July? It used team colors, it was easy to navigate and it was consistent. Their present site is very hard to read, with different font sizes and oddly organized elements, like video clips, etc.

I noticed from a notice in a downtown restaurant that Edwin McCain was going to have a concert at West End Field later this month. I read in the Greenville Journal that some type of charity auction with bar-b-que, etc, is also coming up. Plus there was a another blood drive about a week ago at the park. Neither the web site nor non-existent fan emails have mentioned this.

Again, great, tremendous A+ organization, but a cheap communications tool is being really neglected.

post-10095-1157597803_thumb.jpg

Again, great, tremendous A+ organization, but a cheap communications tool is being really neglected.

It's a tool with outstanding potential that is most definitely beingn underutilized, that's for sure. They could do so much more with that site to build their fan base and build community beyond what the few hours at the ballpark would do. I hope they take full advantage of this over the off season and make the most of it.

www.southernexposuregreenville.com (Edwin McCain concert)

As far as other comments in the thread, the team and ball park are obviously a great asset to the city and I have thoroughly enjoyed attending many games this year. However, the Drive organization does still have some areas that could be improved (just like most organizations). I have had several less than ideal interactions with them regarding group sales.

That's the only thing negative I will say about the subject. I have brought several out-of-town friends to games and they have loved it.

Edited by EDPro

For all of you parents out there (like me): there will be a Child Safety Seat check beginning at 10:00am today at West End Field and lasting until 2:00pm. This event is in accordance with the National Automobile Dealers Association, which has proclaimed September to be "Child Passenger Safety Month." :thumbsup:

If anyone is interested, the Lakewood Blue Claws defeated Augusta to win the SAL championship:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/new...b&fext=.jsp

Also, the Wilmington Blue Rocks, the next team up the Red Sox chain from Greenville may lose their affiliation with the Red Sox:

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dl...353/1002/SPORTS

I have no idea if this will affect the Drive. Could the Drive become a High A team and move to the Carolina League from the SAL league? Doubtful, but the uncertainty with Wilmington at least leaves options open.

Final attendance figures are in for all of minor league baseball for 2006.

The Drive had the 45th highest attendance of major league affiliated clubs in 2006. 45th out of 176, or in the 25%. Not bad for a low A ball club. The 51st by average per game, which is slightly higher than the AAA Charlotte Knights and the AAA Richmond Braves.

http://www.ballparkdigest.com/features/att...iated_2006.html

Total attendace for the year was 330,078, or about 4,783 per game.

Final attendance figures are in for all of minor league baseball for 2006.

The Drive had the 45th highest attendance of major league affiliated clubs in 2006. 45th out of 176, or in the 25%. Not bad for a low A ball club. The 51st by average per game, which is slightly higher than the AAA Charlotte Knights and the AAA Richmond Braves.

Total attendace for the year was 330,078, or about 4,783 per game.

We averaged more fans per game than Charlotte or Richmond? :shok:

P.S. We had a lot more fans than Charleston did. ;)

We averaged more fans per game than Charlotte or Richmond? :shok:

P.S. We had a lot more fans than Charleston did. ;)

Both Richmond and Charlotte have stadium issues. The Knights want to move from Ft. Mill to downtown Charlotte, build their own stadium, etc. They are just trying to get the city to let them have access to the land. It's a very convulted process, similar request that the Drive have, but Charlotte's government process is more convuluted.

Richmond too has stadium issues, and is losing fans due to a sub par facility. The Braves might eventually move from Richmond, depending on how the sale of the Braves from Time Warner to LIberty Media goes.

I wonder if Boston Redsox would ever consider promoting the Drive to it's Double (or even triple A :silly: ) affiliate club, given the success (thus far), similar stadium, quality of the facility, and qulities of the city?

Probably not since Boston's AA affiliate is the Portland (Maine) Sea Dogs and the AAA afliate is the Pawtucket (R. Island) Red Sox.

The strangle - hold of the Red Sox on the New England market and the fan support more or less makes owning farm teams in New England affliated with the BoSox a done deal.

Portland even recently reconfigured their park to have the same field dimensions as Fenway as well.

Now Wilmington, Del's Blue Rocks' just left the Red Sox organization because of a disagreement in player development and joined the Kansas City Royals organization. Wilmington's owners wanted a greater emphasis on winning games and less on particular player development. The Royals do that, the Red Sox do not. They were the High A Red Sox club, which means the Sox are now without a High A team.

In the musical chairs world of minor league ball, it will be interesting to see if the Drive get called up to the Carolina League and out of the SAL. We'll know the answer to that by the end of the month.

The 2007 season schedule has been posted:

Link

The press release for the 2007 schedule (which, as you probably guessed, isn't yet posted on their own web site):

Drive Announce 2007 Schedule

Opening Day Gala Set For April 9th and 10th

Greenville, SC – After a tremendously successful Inaugural Season, in which West End Field was named “Ballpark of the Year,” the Greenville Drive have announced their 2007 schedule. On Opening Day the Drive will once again celebrate the Upstate’s rich baseball heritage with special appearances, as well as player autographs, music, and fireworks.

The Opening Day festivities will be held on two days, April 9th and 10th, so that no fans miss out on the events.

The Drive, Class A South Atlantic League affiliate of the Boston Red Sox, will begin next season on the road as they take on the Charleston RiverDogs, affiliate of the New York Yankees.

The South Atlantic League season consists of 140 games (70 home games and 70 away games) versus 15 opponents. Last season the Drive broke the Greenville single-season attendance record as 330,078 fans came through the turnstiles, surpassing the previous mark by more than 60,000.

“We could not have asked for a better Inaugural Season,” commented Drive General Manager Mike deMaine. “The support from the City of Greenville and the entire Upstate was truly amazing. We look to continue that success in 2007 and for seasons to come.”

Returning to West End Field to entertain the fans in 2007 will be the Zooperstars!, Birdzerk, and Reggy. The Drive will also have spectacular firework displays at all 10 of their Friday home games next season.

“The acts that appeared last season were a huge success with the fans,” added deMaine. “What better way to reward the best fans in professional baseball than bringing in these acts again.”

West End Field will again be the perfect destination to spend holidays in 2007 with the Drive will be home on Mother’s Day (May 13th), Father’s Day (June 17th), and closeout the season on Labor Day (September 3rd).

Highlighting the 2007 schedule will be four visits to West End Field by the reigning Southern Division Champion Augusta GreenJackets (Giants) as well as one visit by the South Atlantic League Champion Lakewood BlueClaws (Phillies). Meanwhile the Drive’s cross-state neighbor, the RiverDogs, make one visit to West End Field.

Fans can reserve their 2007 season tickets and partial plans by calling the Greenville Drive at (864) 240-4500.

www.GreenvilleDrive.com

Edited by Fiddlestix

I have not heard if the Red Sox will find a High A replacement for the Wilmington (DE) Blue Rocks club who left for the Royals organization. That window is closing fairly rapidly.

My guess at this point is that the Red Sox will have just 1 A club - Greenville. All that probably means is that the Drive will see a higher level of talent, for longer periods, next season.

For example, Jeff Natale, who could be another Nomar Garciapara type player, was only in Greenville for about 40 games before he got called up to Wilmington. With no High A club, a player like him could stay in Greenville the entire season. So the #1 draft pick, pitcher out of the U. of North Carolina, or the kid from Wren High could have most of the year at West End Field.

Just conjecture on my part, but it's a best guess....

Don't forget the Shortened-Season Class-A Lowell Spinners.

It's my understanding that the two guys I mentioned, the UNC pitcher and the Wren pitcher, have already had turns at short - season Lowell or down at the spring training site in Florida.

I believe short season clubs exist for recent free agent/draft signees, and not necesarily guys who have been in the system already. So guys who were at Lowell, or at the Spring Training site this year, will be the next Drive players.