What's Missing in Northwest Arkansas?

As long as developers can put together projects that sell for 300k and upwards, there will be no developing of condos geared toward the middle class.

I doubt if you will ever see that type of condominium developed in downtown Fayetteville as the proximity to the cultural ammenities of downtown will keep land values and prices higher.

I believe that if there are middle income condominiums to be built in Fayetteville, you will most likely see them heading north out of downtown along College Ave or down the hill in south Fayetteville. I still think thats likely at least least 7-8 years out given that the condo building craze accelerates or at least continues.

JMO

The condo situation nationally is really braking. I still think NWA is probably below capacity for condos, though, and I think converting an apt complex to moderate-priced condos would be a nice investment. Downtown high rises are going to continue to be costly anywhere, though, and I think you'll see a watch and wait attitude towards new construction of them soon. Conservative smaller project which have been more common in downtown Fayetteville, though, are probably always safe.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it has to be a cultural wasteland. Fayetteville and to a lesser extent Eureka are just so well-established in that regard. Ultimately, it's hard to take away from the tremendous cultural influence exerted by a flagship university.

Booze.

Benton County needs more booze.

Afterall, the meaning of the word "culture" was derived from the culturing of bacteria and fermenting process to produce alcohol. A civilization had "culture" if they had developed the means to distill alcohol.

:D

Booze.

Afterall, the meaning of the word "culture" was derived from the culturing of bacteria and fermenting process to produce alcohol. A civilization had "culture" if they had developed the means to distill alcohol.

Well, on the 2006 election, Benton County will be voting on the Wet/Dry issue. There's quite a bit of support for becoming wet.

As long as developers can put together projects that sell for 300k and upwards, there will be no developing of condos geared toward the middle class.

I doubt if you will ever see that type of condominium developed in downtown Fayetteville as the proximity to the cultural ammenities of downtown will keep land values and prices higher.

I believe that if there are middle income condominiums to be built in Fayetteville, you will most likely see them heading north out of downtown along College Ave or down the hill in south Fayetteville. I still think thats likely at least least 7-8 years out given that the condo building craze accelerates or at least continues.

JMO

Good point. I think there could be some middle class condo developments in the future. But as DickSonstreetDFW stated it's very doubtful to be such nice areas as the Square/Dickson St area.

Booze.

Why not open a bunch of strip joints and sleazy bars in Benton County while we're at it. I really could care less if Benton County goes wet as it's been stated that the taxes the county would receive from being wet would be insignificant. For my liquor needs I just drive down to County Line or up to the Pineville Supercenter. As for bars Rogers has a few respectable clubs and there's even a party bus that picks people up from their home and takes them around town to clubs and even stops for snacks at the Neighborhood Market then drops them off at home.

As for bars Rogers has a few respectable clubs and there's even a party bus that picks people up from their home and takes them around town to clubs and even stops for snacks at the Neighborhood Market then drops them off at home.

The only one in Rogers that I know of is the Bayou, which had a shooting about 2 years ago at it.

The only one in Rogers that I know of is the Bayou, which had a shooting about 2 years ago at it.

The Bayou is a kareoke bar... I guess the shooter didn't like the way the victim was singing. I know not funny. :blush:

I don't frequent bars so even though I don't protest them I don't care for them. Now a nice sports bar or a classy music lounge is what I wouldn't mind. Even a kareoke bar as long as there are metal detectors at the door. :D

The Bayou is a kareoke bar... I guess the shooter didn't like the way the victim was singing. I know not funny. :blush:

I don't frequent bars so even though I don't protest them I don't care for them. Now a nice sports bar or a classy music lounge is what I wouldn't mind. Even a kareoke bar as long as there are metal detectors at the door. :D

:rofl:

That was funny.

There was going to be another bar in Downtown, which was suppose to be a Martini Bar, but the project lost interest and fell threw. Bentonville has the Deja Vu Piano Bar and another one, but I can't think of the name.

I'm not sure if this has been covered before but NWA needs a major manufacturing plant like GM, Boeing, etc. NWA was on the bidding table for the Boeing 7E7 Dreamliner contract but was up against too many of the big dogs. I know it's extemely doubtful it would happen mainly due to the low unemployment rate but it's still something that's missing in NWA.

I'm not sure if this has been covered before but NWA needs a major manufacturing plant like GM, Boeing, etc. NWA was on the bidding table for the Boeing 7E7 Dreamliner contract but was up against too many of the big dogs. I know it's extemely doubtful it would happen mainly due to the low unemployment rate but it's still something that's missing in NWA.

We've talked about this before a lot.

I remember when Boeing was cosidering XNA for the 7E7 Manufacturing Site. It would have added 1500+ jobs is what they said. XNA however, lacked certain things. For one, there's not an access Road that goes straight from 540 to the airport. The Access Road would have been needed for semi's to access parts and such. Also, the airport lacked a rail connection which would allow raw materials to be transported to the airport for the manufacturing facility. I believe the railroad that runs through Gentry was the closest one at about 15 miles away, which would have cost the airport around $20 Million to make a rail connection. Third, XNA lacks an east-west Taxiway and Runway. Without an East West Taxiway, there's no way to make a direct takeoff in those directions to help combat congestion and location. They have plans to make an east-west taxiway, but it's going to take a while. Last, the state lacked the proper incentive package to Boeing for the contract. It was later given to Seattle and it just seems like a distant memory. XNA has also been looked at by Candair for a contract, but because of the same situations it wasn't looked at to hard. If we can get the proper infastructure we might have a good chance at landing a major manufacturer at the airport, but as you said, we also have a very low unemployment rate in NWA, which would make it even harder to attract a major manufacturer.

• 5 months later...

Okay, I've been hard at work on this list, some of these things may not be needed for a while, but this list is a compiling of what I would like to see, and what I think is missing in NWA.

It's kind of big. :D

Mosque

An REI or Bass Pro Shops Store

Baptist High School (4A or 5A)

Prestigious High School (Private)

Catholic High School (5A) and another Catholic Elementary School in Rogers or Bentonville

7-11

Okay, I've been hard at work on this list, some of these things may not be needed for a while, but this list is a compiling of what I would like to see, and what I think is missing in NWA.

It's kind of big. :D

Mosque

An REI or Bass Pro Shops Store

Baptist High School (4A or 5A)

Prestigious High School (Private)

Catholic High School (5A) and another Catholic Elementary School in Rogers or Bentonville

7-11

Damn, I can't believe that is all you could think of.....but seriously some of those sound very good and will happen over the next few years, while some of those will NEVER happen....FYI, there are already NON-stop flights on Delta from XNA to Atlanta, and NON-stop flights from XNA to Cincinnati

Those are on Delta's Connection Carrier, not Delta itself. Delta goes from MD-80's and up. I think XNA could have flights on MD-80's to these cities. Sorry that was a bit misleading.

AMTRAK.

(And before you laugh, they're looking at adding such a line from St. Louis to Springfield over Burlington Northern Santa Fe rails possibly by next year, though it will be funded by the Missouri Department of Transportation.)

It'd be cool if that line shot on past Springfield to Monett, then down the Arkansas & Missouri rails to Rogers. However, I don't see it happening, nor do I think it would be that profitable for them. Having said that, I think there's still a Chicago to Quincy, Illinois AMTRAK line and NWA's GOT to have far more people in this metro area than Quincy/Hannibal does...

This region could also use a Volvo dealership...

List omitted for shorter post.

Thats quite a long list there.....I was kind of surprised to see that NWA doesn't have a ballet, opera.....Does Fayetteville or NWA have alot to do with the arts.

Great list. Look for a local Fox affiliate starting up in the fall. KNWA owner Nextar's sister company Mission has purchased the local fox station and plans to start up a newscast in the fall. Initially it's planned to be a River Valley newscast only, but it'll be staffed by KNWA folks, so I think eventually we'll see a local Fox newscast (at 9pm) up here.

Great list. Look for a local Fox affiliate starting up in the fall. KNWA owner Nextar's sister company Mission has purchased the local fox station and plans to start up a newscast in the fall. Initially it's planned to be a River Valley newscast only, but it'll be staffed by KNWA folks, so I think eventually we'll see a local Fox newscast (at 9pm) up here.

I've heard a little about this. Thanks for the update though. It may not seem like much but I'm looking forward to having a 'real' FOX with a newscast. I tend to work rather early so an earlier evening newscast would be rather helpful to me. That and I'd just like to see another newscast based solely here in NWA. Any ideas if it will be Washington or Benton based?

That's quite a list Matt. :D I don't think I disagree on any of them. But as was mentioned the likelyhood of getting all of these might take a really long time.

I've heard a little about this. Thanks for the update though. It may not seem like much but I'm looking forward to having a 'real' FOX with a newscast. I tend to work rather early so an earlier evening newscast would be rather helpful to me. That and I'd just like to see another newscast based solely here in NWA. Any ideas if it will be Washington or Benton based?

When they start a cast up here (I think this will depend on how the River Valley reacts), the content will come from KNWA staff, so I would bet on a Benton and Washington combo.

As far as other major network affiliates like KFSM (CBS) and 40/29 (ABC), their newscasts will continue to be a mix of NWA and River Valley until there is considerable population growth. At that point, we may see them splitting newscasts. We'll see different stuff up here then they will down there.

There was a report in Arkansas Business today about UAMS considering building a satellite campus. There are two logical possiblities for this - Ft Smith or Fayetteville. Though there are more people in NWA, Ft Smith has a larger, more established medical community. They compared the situation to what Kansas's med school did with the main campus in KC and a smaller 2nd campus in Wichita. Tennessee is similar with a 2nd campus in Knoxville, which would be a bit of a parallel with UAMS if we went with Fayetteville. IN both of these cases the bulk of the campus remained but medical students in their 3rd and 4th years could do clinical rotations at the satellite campus and it would allow nursing and allied professional schools at the satellite. Some residency programs could be started (both Ft Smith and Fayetteville already have UAMS Area Health Education Centers with family practice residencies) but the research labs, etc would largely remain at the parent institution. It will be interesting to see if this pans out.

There was a report in Arkansas Business today about UAMS considering building a satellite campus. There are two logical possiblities for this - Ft Smith or Fayetteville. Though there are more people in NWA, Ft Smith has a larger, more established medical community. They compared the situation to what Kansas's med school did with the main campus in KC and a smaller 2nd campus in Wichita. Tennessee is similar with a 2nd campus in Knoxville, which would be a bit of a parallel with UAMS if we went with Fayetteville. IN both of these cases the bulk of the campus remained but medical students in their 3rd and 4th years could do clinical rotations at the satellite campus and it would allow nursing and allied professional schools at the satellite. Some residency programs could be started (both Ft Smith and Fayetteville already have UAMS Area Health Education Centers with family practice residencies) but the research labs, etc would largely remain at the parent institution. It will be interesting to see if this pans out.

Great news, thanks for posting this. Of course I'd really like to see it up here in Fayetteville. But even if Ft Smith gets it, it would still be great for them and maybe something to help the city along.

Great news, thanks for posting this. Of course I'd really like to see it up here in Fayetteville. But even if Ft Smith gets it, it would still be great for them and maybe something to help the city along.

A medical school. Excellent.

BTW, Bob, I'm not sure if the Fort Smith/Fayetteville stations would want a market split. If times haven't changed, national ad dollars (where a LOT of money comes in) are based upon sheer numbers of people watching...the more numbers a TV market has, the more $$$ advertising air time is worth. Combine NWA's current 420,000 or so people with Fort Smith metro's 250,000 and you've got much better numbers (and costs these advertisers are willing to pay to reach them) than if the markets were split.

A medical school. Excellent.

BTW, Bob, I'm not sure if the Fort Smith/Fayetteville stations would want a market split. If times haven't changed, national ad dollars (where a LOT of money comes in) are based upon sheer numbers of people watching...the more numbers a TV market has, the more $$$ advertising air time is worth. Combine NWA's current 420,000 or so people with Fort Smith metro's 250,000 and you've got much better numbers (and costs these advertisers are willing to pay to reach them) than if the markets were split.

Importantly, it won't be a second medical school - Arkansas couldn't support that. It will be a satellite campus, probably utilizing an existing hospital like Sparks or Washington Regional and adding on some educational buildings. Nonetheless it would have a big impact.

The way things work in Kansas which is being used as a model for this all of the medical students spend the first two years at the main campus and then 1/3 go to the other campus in Wichita for clinical rotations for the second two years. Usually the satellite campus is more of a primary care/rural track and offers a limited number of specialties for residency - family practice, internal medicine, ob/gyn, and general surgery and maybe pediatrics. However, that would be a boon in bringing in more physicians to Arkansas and would increase the number of medical students the combined campuses could support.

More envy to the extreme. What we can expect in NWA is more much needed, long overdue, improvements to our roads and more residential and commercial developments going up everywhere. Aside from that I wouldn't expect anything more than minor improvements to already existing attractions like the Walton Arts Center and the Benton County Fairgrounds. Better to remain realistic than to buy into all the hype developers are stirring up in NWA. There are just too many nearby metros that have had all those attractions for decades to think that all of a sudden NWA is going to somehow catch up with any of them.

You've got to remain optomistic masonsdad.

You're right... here's my optimistic reply.

I agree with the following items from your list:

Prestigious High School (Private) Richie Rich's moving here will demand this.

Upscale Wine Bar Already have one at the Sanctuary's Wine Cellar dining area in Bentonville.

Starbucks in Har-Ber area, Another in Fayetteville, possibly one by NWACC in Bentonville, Starbucks near the University of Arkansas No doubt Starbucks are popping up around every corner here.

Wet District in Benton County Already exists... they call them private clubs (open to anyone though :-))

Dunkin Donuts No... but we'll get at least one more Krispy Kreme

Access road for XNA Already has one... you take Walton to Hwy 12 then turn left at Airport Road :-P

Whole Foods or other Upscale Grocer in Pinnacle Area Someone will eventually buy the defunct Market on the Creek

Trance Club off Dixon Street or in Downtown Fayetteville Definitely... but it'll get shut down due to too many drug violations

R&B Radio Station Of course... all you need is XM Radio LOL

Home Depot in Centerton (5 years) More like 10 years... the new one in Rogers isn't doing too good

Benton County School of the Arts w/ High School (at least 3A) uh... Arend Arts Center duh!

Driving Range and Family Fun Center (Put-Put Golf, Go-Karts, Aqua bumper boats, etc) in Rogers Yeah like the one they shut down in Rogers a few years ago... Paradise something or other ;-)

A nice Arboretum Arkansas is one big outdoor arboretum! LOL

Bella Vista Bypass duh!

U.S. 412 Bypass uh yeah

An Urban Contemporary Radio Station XM

Local Fox News T.V. Station in NWA mmmaybe

Region wide Bus Service with around 2.5 Million riders a year, w/ benches Already have one with 2.5 riders per day... what more can you ask for? LOL

Some Condo projects in Downtown Bentonville, Rogers yep

More Tech Jobs in Fayetteville There are actually more tech jobs growing in Bentonville than Fayetteville

Revival of Downtown Rogers Is it dead? Doesn't really seem to have changed at all that I can recall

3 More Bank of America locations in Benton County More like 12 more Arvest locations :-)

Centralized Arvest Headquarters Every city has one! LOL

Another Burger King in Rogers Yeah! We definitely need one more of those! ;-)

Parking Garage for Wal-Mart Headquarters Already has the largest single-story parking garage in the world! LOL

LaserQuest How about LazerTag at Lokomotion? Doesn't that count?

An Authentic Italian Restaurant like Bordino

Archived