What's Missing in Northwest Arkansas?

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not so positive that Wal-mart would never leave NWA. I'm not saying I think it's likely but I think it could be possible. If wal-mart did leave of course it would have a huge impact on the metro and especially Benton County. Although I would like to point out that I think while there would certainly be effects I don't think it would affect Fayetteville as much. Even before Wal-mart was making the vendors come to NWA, Fayetteville had been getting noticed as a nice smaller type city to live. But now the focus seems to be more on the whole metro as a nice place to live rather than just one city.

I'm not so positive that Wal-mart would never leave NWA. I'm not saying I think it's likely but I think it could be possible. If wal-mart did leave of course it would have a huge impact on the metro and especially Benton County. Although I would like to point out that I think while there would certainly be effects I don't think it would affect Fayetteville as much. Even before Wal-mart was making the vendors come to NWA, Fayetteville had been getting noticed as a nice smaller type city to live. But now the focus seems to be more on the whole metro as a nice place to live rather than just one city.

Fayetteville does receive quite a few cudos from various groups that rate places to live. I'm hoping that the region doesn't lose the nice place to live feel over time, but there are signs that with the regions growth we're also seeing violent crimes nearly double in just the last year. We're seeing signs of increasing gang activity in Rogers and vandalism is increasing throughout the region.

As for Fayetteville not getting affected by Wal-Mart leaving, the University would feel the sting more than anyone since Wal-Mart is their biggest contributor. But it's not even worth analyzing the possible effects of Wal-Mart leaving the region because it's nearly impossible to fathom.

We're seeing signs of increasing gang activity in Rogers

The Majority of the Gang activity has been dealt with, as the three men were apprehended late last year. So far, the city has actually seen a major decrease in Gang Activity.

The Gang Activity is fairly small compared to other big cities like Ft. Smith, Little Rock, Pine Bluff, Tulsa, and St. Louis.

The Majority of the Gang activity has been dealt with, as the three men were apprehended late last year. So far, the city has actually seen a major decrease in Gang Activity.

The Gang Activity is fairly small compared to other big cities like Ft. Smith, Little Rock, Pine Bluff, Tulsa, and St. Louis.

The gang members that were apprehended last year was due to pure luck as it was during a random traffic stop that they were found to be in possession of drugs, assault weapons and cash. Gang Activity may not be getting worse in NWA but if the police here have only gotten lucky once who's to say it won't get worse. Even the local police in NWA admit that crime is getting worse and they just don't have the manpower to face increasing crime and if the local governments are whining about not having funds for roads just imagine what they'd say if sked to hire more police.

A woman from Kansas City, who moved here recently, is planning to move to the Northeast Arkansas area because she thought she left crime behind when she moved here. The reality is that things will get worse here if the local governments just sit on their laurels and just whine about not having money to do anything about it. What made NWA a nice place to live is that noone wanted to move here if that makes any sense. When I moved here in 1998, there were no murders, no traffic, everything was in my price range and most importantly EVERYONE was friendly. Not now. And not ever again in the future.

I guess that seems a rather negative view, although Benton County has changed the most and has also received the most out of state people too. People here about a great place to live so lots of people move in and help bring some of those negative aspects with them. I saw Fayetteville traffic get bad before 1998 too. :D Although I admit we have weird patterns. When the students are away it's not so bad. But things are changing for better or worse.

I think Rogers has done a very good job combating gang activity by forming an Anti-Gang Unit in the Police Department, as well as plenty of cooperation with the Hispanic Community. I admit Crime is becoming worse here in NWA, but it's still not as bad as big cities. The Arrests of the three gang members was by luck because they did a Traffic Violation, but they were directly linked to about 80% of all Gang Activity in Rogers for the past year and a half. All the Graffiti Problems were associated with them as well. I think things will continue to become better.

I think Rogers has done a very good job combating gang activity by forming an Anti-Gang Unit in the Police Department, as well as plenty of cooperation with the Hispanic Community. I admit Crime is becoming worse here in NWA, but it's still not as bad as big cities. The Arrests of the three gang members was by luck because they did a Traffic Violation, but they were directly linked to about 80% of all Gang Activity in Rogers for the past year and a half. All the Graffiti Problems were associated with them as well. I think things will continue to become better.

I agree Matt... and don't get me wrong when I post some of the negative aspects of NWA's population boom... just trying to keep reality in perspective too. :D NWA is much better than any of the cities I've lived in. All cities have their negatives, but some of the things happening in other cities would turn your stomach.

I agree Matt... and don't get me wrong when I post some of the negative aspects of NWA's population boom... just trying to keep reality in perspective too. :D NWA is much better than any of the cities I've lived in. All cities have their negatives, but some of the things happening in other cities would turn your stomach.

Yeah I can see where you're coming from. Unfortunately with all this growth there are going to be some negative aspects with it as well. Crime still isn't too bad compared to toher places but it has gone up and will probably continue to increase along with the population increase. Although I would like to point out that the population is growing faster than the crime rate which is a nice sign. But it is a change for some of us that have been here for a while and remember what it was like.

Yeah I can see where you're coming from. Unfortunately with all this growth there are going to be some negative aspects with it as well. Crime still isn't too bad compared to toher places but it has gone up and will probably continue to increase along with the population increase. Although I would like to point out that the population is growing faster than the crime rate which is a nice sign. But it is a change for some of us that have been here for a while and remember what it was like.

I think one of the problems is a lot of people come here expecting to find "paradise", which doesn't exist on this earth. And where do all these people I talk to that have never been here get the idea that our streets our paved with gold?

I think one of the problems is a lot of people come here expecting to find "paradise", which doesn't exist on this earth. And where do all these people I talk to that have never been here get the idea that our streets our paved with gold?

Yeah I've gotten those type of responses from people too. I've seen a number of reactions to some of out Californians that moved into the area, particularly in Fayetteville. They either complain about how they used to be able to this and that in California but they can't here. Or they think that they were going to leave behind all their problems they had in California. I think a few of them end up bringing along some of these problems. Although I shouldn't pick on Californians. But we do have quite a few here in Fayetteville and not all of them fit into these categories. We do have some that knew what to expect and are happy here.

Yeah I've gotten those type of responses from people too. I've seen a number of reactions to some of out Californians that moved into the area, particularly in Fayetteville. They either complain about how they used to be able to this and that in California but they can't here. Or they think that they were going to leave behind all their problems they had in California. I think a few of them end up bringing along some of these problems. Although I shouldn't pick on Californians. But we do have quite a few here in Fayetteville and not all of them fit into these categories. We do have some that knew what to expect and are happy here.

I remember when I moved from California to West Virginia... as soon as I crossed the state line a State Trooper pulled me over and accused my brother of smelling like marijuana. Pretty impossible seeing as neither of us did drugs. Then their was the time my girlfriend and I were parked in the parking lot of a West Virginia park after sunset and even though there were other people sitting in parked vehicles next to us a Sheriff pulled over to warn us that we're not supposed to be there after sunset. It's amazing the bad rap Californians get just for having a California license plate.

I remember when I moved from California to West Virginia... as soon as I crossed the state line a State Trooper pulled me over and accused my brother of smelling like marijuana. Pretty impossible seeing as neither of us did drugs. Then their was the time my girlfriend and I were parked in the parking lot of a West Virginia park after sunset and even though there were other people sitting in parked vehicles next to us a Sheriff pulled over to warn us that we're not supposed to be there after sunset. It's amazing the bad rap Californians get just for having a California license plate.

True, I think maybe it's a bad rep caused by a small group of Californians and gets applied to everyone else. I shouldn't make it seem like I'm picking on Californians so much. I've met and worked with some bad ones but also met and worked with some pretty nice ones too. :D

Are there any real oxygen bars in the area?

If not, than I think NWA should try and attract an Oxygen Bar in Pinnacle or Downtown Fayetteville. Seems like a nice hip thing that a lot of people would try.

There was an Oxygen Bar at Northwest Arkansas Mall... not sure if it's still there. I have bronchitis and I know I could probably use more oxygen... especially "flavored" oxygen. :D

I forogt about that. I haven't heard anything about it in a long time so I wouldn't be surprised if it's not at the mall anymore.

I think one is well overdue in the Pinnacle vacinity or even in Bentonville. There becoming pretty popular in Big Cities.

Along with Hookah, that's another big thing.

Just to show I'm out of the loop, what's hookah?

Hookah is a tobacco pipe with a long flexible tube connected to a container where the smoke is cooled by passing through water. In big cities, that have Hookah bars that you and a bunch of friends can all smoke from the same Hookah container.

Hookah is a tobacco pipe with a long flexible tube connected to a container where the smoke is cooled by passing through water. In big cities, that have Hookah bars that you and a bunch of friends can all smoke from the same Hookah container.

Ah, I think I know what you're talking about now. I wonder if that would even be allowed with Fayetteville's smoking ban. Also sounds like Huckabee is wanting to try to get the whole state to go smoke free.

Ah, I think I know what you're talking about now. I wonder if that would even be allowed with Fayetteville's smoking ban. Also sounds like Huckabee is wanting to try to get the whole state to go smoke free.

I think Huckabee needs to see the economic effects that a statewide smoking ban would have before he initiates something like that.

Alright guys,

What Fayetteville needs first off is a couple of Stadium seating theaters. I know Malco has one planned off of Joyce and Steele Blvd, but they should have gotten started 3 years ago on the project. (I am covering a few topics in one post (fisrt time poster)). One near the university and interstate would be another good location. Next is restaurants. We have done very good over the last few years, but we can do better. We were missing a Buffalo Wild Wings until VERY recent. I am very thrilled to now have my favorite sports bar here, but now we need to compensate and have something a little more fancy. There have been rumors of a PF Changs in Nelsons Crossing (Joyce & College) or maybe a Morton's or Ruth's Chris in the area.

Now on from that topic to skyscrapers...From what I understand the Barber Group is hoping to build 2 - 16 story condo buildings and 1 - 10 story office building near the new 6 story Lindsey building on Joyce. In the 250-300 million price range. While I don't consider these skyscrapers, I do consider us to be on the way. Hopefully Barber's "big" hotel (in Washington county) will break the 20 story barrier (as long as it is in Fayetteville (not Johnson or Springdale)). I really hope the morons on the city council will pass this sort of development. They whine about trees and land conservation, but they don't realize the benefit of building upward and not outward. Saving open land and forested lots can be done by compromising with taller structures. Infill versus greenfill might make some of these hippies happy if they think it through. Now getting to the new condos downtown...I love it. The taller and more expensive the better. I would love to live in the area, but I am worried that only rich out-of-state alumni will buy most of them. That way Dickson street will still suffer from a lack of people being there during the slower times of the year. These people will only appear during football games and not really add to the possible prosperity downtown. Anyway, let me know what you guys think and please feel free to email me at [email protected] if you have more of this type of info.

I love to know what is going on in Fayetteville.

C. L. Ward

Alright guys,

What Fayetteville needs first off is a couple of Stadium seating theaters. I know Malco has one planned off of Joyce and Steele Blvd, but they should have gotten started 3 years ago on the project. (I am covering a few topics in one post (fisrt time poster)). One near the university and interstate would be another good location. Next is restaurants. We have done very good over the last few years, but we can do better. We were missing a Buffalo Wild Wings until VERY recent. I am very thrilled to now have my favorite sports bar here, but now we need to compensate and have something a little more fancy. There have been rumors of a PF Changs in Nelsons Crossing (Joyce & College) or maybe a Morton's or Ruth's Chris in the area.

Now on from that topic to skyscrapers...From what I understand the Barber Group is hoping to build 2 - 16 story condo buildings and 1 - 10 story office building near the new 6 story Lindsey building on Joyce. In the 250-300 million price range. While I don't consider these skyscrapers, I do consider us to be on the way. Hopefully Barber's "big" hotel (in Washington county) will break the 20 story barrier (as long as it is in Fayetteville (not Johnson or Springdale)). I really hope the morons on the city council will pass this sort of development. They whine about trees and land conservation, but they don't realize the benefit of building upward and not outward. Saving open land and forested lots can be done by compromising with taller structures. Infill versus greenfill might make some of these hippies happy if they think it through. Now getting to the new condos downtown...I love it. The taller and more expensive the better. I would love to live in the area, but I am worried that only rich out-of-state alumni will buy most of them. That way Dickson street will still suffer from a lack of people being there during the slower times of the year. These people will only appear during football games and not really add to the possible prosperity downtown. Anyway, let me know what you guys think and please feel free to email me at [email protected] if you have more of this type of info.

C. L. Ward

Welcome to the forum strmshsr77. :D Can I assume you're from Fayetteville? Anyway nice to have you around. We've been picking up people lately but more in the Benton County area. But Fayetteville gets discussed a lot. Just keep checking around over here. Feel free to join in and let us know if you happen to hear anything. I agree with your concerns with the condo boom. I'd also like to see some middle class condos also. I want as many people who want condos to be able to get them. I also agree with you about building upward instead of outward. Although I'm not sure if the city council would go for a somewhat tall building in an area of the city that is generally 1-2 stories. But I guess we'll probably eventually see.

Alright guys,

C. L. Ward

Welcome strmchsr77 to Urban Planet!!

It's good to see another face in the forum, and I'm glad it's from Fayetteville.

I agree with your remarks about the Downtown and how the condos should be a bit more oriented towards the Middle Class. I myself would live in Downtown Fayetteville if there was a large condo tower geared more middle class.

I agree with your remarks about the Downtown and how the condos should be a bit more oriented towards the Middle Class. I myself would live in Downtown Fayetteville if there was a large condo tower geared more middle class.

As long as developers can put together projects that sell for 300k and upwards, there will be no developing of condos geared toward the middle class.

I doubt if you will ever see that type of condominium developed in downtown Fayetteville as the proximity to the cultural ammenities of downtown will keep land values and prices higher.

I believe that if there are middle income condominiums to be built in Fayetteville, you will most likely see them heading north out of downtown along College Ave or down the hill in south Fayetteville. I still think thats likely at least least 7-8 years out given that the condo building craze accelerates or at least continues.

JMO

Archived