What's Missing in Northwest Arkansas?

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I saw those.

The Canon sounds interesting, it's digital right?

Yeah, Canon is know for making some pretty good cameras. And unlike a lot of other companies they do a lot of their lenses in-house where a lot of other camera companies have to rely on others. On average though you will probably have to spend a little more on a Canon than some of the other brands. But like I said my model is in now way that great but I've been surprised how good the pics are after I got used to the camera. But I also don't know how much or what you want in a camera. You may not want to spend a lot of money for something you are just going to take a few shots every now and then. Photography is becoming a bit of a hobby for me so spending some more money on a camera makes a little more sense.

One other I forgot about: one massive, ultra-modern and well-staffed medical center. NWA doesn't have a hospital along the lines of a Baptist or UAMS in Little Rock or even a St Edward's in Ft Smith yet. The new Washington Regional is nice aesthetically but it is still a smaller hospital that's a step behind. I think part of the problem is that all of the hospitals work against each other. Perhaps if they were all in one system they could operate as satellites of a large parent facility, which is what NWA really needs.

Again, this goes back to the fact NWA is so close to older, more established metros in Ft Smith, Tulsa, and Springfield and therefore serves only a local population as opposed to the others which have a more regional role.

We got to talking about health care a while back, and I realized that Northwest Arkansas does not have a burn center at all.

I think this is something that is going to have to be put into one of the 4 cities great hospitals.

We got to talking about health care a while back, and I realized that Northwest Arkansas does not have a burn center at all.

I think this is something that is going to have to be put into one of the 4 cities great hospitals.

Yeah I do agree that I think our hospitals need work. I wonder if having them spread out hurts having a really good center.

I know something that would be nice in northwest Arkansas, although I think it will be a very long time before it would even consider coming to Arkansas, IKEA. I believe there's only 25 current stores in the US although they are trying to increase their presence here in the US and speed up store openings. I read an interesting article on MSNBC which I included a link to. I found it very interesting the talk of the store's frugality and it made me think of another company's frugality that we may be more familiar with, Wal-mart. Now I'm not going to pretend they are anywhere close to being the same type of company at all. But it is ironic that IKEA seems to have a wolrdwide cult status and Wal-mart, well to put it nicely doesn't.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9970809/

I know something that would be nice in northwest Arkansas, although I think it will be a very long time before it would even consider coming to Arkansas, IKEA. I believe there's only 25 current stores in the US although they are trying to increase their presence here in the US and speed up store openings. I read an interesting article on MSNBC which I included a link to. I found it very interesting the talk of the store's frugality and it made me think of another company's frugality that we may be more familiar with, Wal-mart. Now I'm not going to pretend they are anywhere close to being the same type of company at all. But it is ironic that IKEA seems to have a wolrdwide cult status and Wal-mart, well to put it nicely doesn't.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9970809/

I would like to see an IKEA, but it would be a very long time before one would come, I mean 20+ years.

One is opening around Austin soon, but there's places like Kansas City, St. Louis, Memphis, Nashville, Miami, and Atlanta that don't even have an IKEA. I'm not even sure if one would ever come. It really is an interesting store, much bigger than a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

I think this would be a good opportunity to discuss what stores we would like to see in the area for the future. This can be soon or 20+ years.

I'll start with a small list:

Costco

Borders

Nordstrom

2nd Best Buy

Lord & Taylor

Bass Pro Shops

Burlington Coat Factory

I would like to see an IKEA, but it would be a very long time before one would come, I mean 20+ years.

One is opening around Austin soon, but there's places like Kansas City, St. Louis, Memphis, Nashville, Miami, and Atlanta that don't even have an IKEA. I'm not even sure if one would ever come. It really is an interesting store, much bigger than a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

I think this would be a good opportunity to discuss what stores we would like to see in the area for the future. This can be soon or 20+ years.

I'll start with a small list:

Costco

Borders

Nordstrom

2nd Best Buy

Lord & Taylor

Bass Pro Shops

Burlington Coat Factory

Yeah, I don't expect them to be coming anytime soon. I know there are some pretty big cities that don't even have one yet. Even if they are wanting to speed up opening new stores here in the American market. Maybe if they really start pushing a lot of new stores Little Rock might get one in a decade or two. But growth would have to really keep going or get stronger for us to ever having to worry about whether we might get one. But it is something missing here. I'll mention a different type store that I've been impressed with out west, REI. Although that's not to say that the Packrat and Lewis & Clark aren't bad either. I think Johnny mentioned this somewhere but a Discovery store would be nice too.

Yeah, I don't expect them to be coming anytime soon. I know there are some pretty big cities that don't even have one yet. Even if they are wanting to speed up opening new stores here in the American market. Maybe if they really start pushing a lot of new stores Little Rock might get one in a decade or two. But growth would have to really keep going or get stronger for us to ever having to worry about whether we might get one. But it is something missing here. I'll mention a different type store that I've been impressed with out west, REI. Although that's not to say that the Packrat and Lewis & Clark aren't bad either. I think Johnny mentioned this somewhere but a Discovery store would be nice too.

Sportsman's Warehouse is building a location in Pleasant Crossing. Packrat and Lewis & Clark are pretty good. I would just like to see something on the scale of an REI or Bass Pro Shops.

I had forgotten about REI, thanks Mith.

I believe REI has plans to build a location in Fort Smith.

Sportsman's Warehouse is building a location in Pleasant Crossing. Packrat and Lewis & Clark are pretty good. I would just like to see something on the scale of an REI or Bass Pro Shops.

I had forgotten about REI, thanks Mith.

I believe REI has plans to build a location in Fort Smith.

I haven't heard about a location in Ft Smith. Seems like this area would be better for it. But maybe there's already a lot of competition for it up here and not in Ft Smith.

I haven't heard about a location in Ft Smith. Seems like this area would be better for it. But maybe there's already a lot of competition for it up here and not in Ft Smith.

It seems like somewhere I remember reading about REI's interest in building a location in Fort Smith. I think something along this magnitude will be needed up here in NW Arkansas.

Also, I remember hearing Target was looking into sights in Fort Smith.

It seems like somewhere I remember reading about REI's interest in building a location in Fort Smith. I think something along this magnitude will be needed up here in NW Arkansas.

Also, I remember hearing Target was looking into sights in Fort Smith.

Target doesn't surprise me, although REI does. Just seems like a place like REI would do a lot better up here in northwest Arkansas, a bit closer to the Ozarks and the Buffalo National River and such.

Target doesn't surprise me, although REI does. Just seems like a place like REI would do a lot better up here in northwest Arkansas, a bit closer to the Ozarks and the Buffalo National River and such.

A Bass Pro or something like an REI is needed, I will agree with you there.

It's just that Springfield has a Bass Pro Shop, and Branson is building one as well. It could be a few more years before one is built in the area. If we just give it a few more years, I'm sure one will be built.

The big question is who would get it?

A Bass Pro or something like an REI is needed, I will agree with you there.

It's just that Springfield has a Bass Pro Shop, and Branson is building one as well. It could be a few more years before one is built in the area. If we just give it a few more years, I'm sure one will be built.

The big question is who would get it?

I have heard that Bass Pro doesn't want to put a store here in northwest Arkansas because they're afraid it will cut into their business in Missouri. Don't know if that's true or not, just what I heard.

I have heard that Bass Pro doesn't want to put a store here in northwest Arkansas because they're afraid it will cut into their business in Missouri. Don't know if that's true or not, just what I heard.

Since Sportsman's Warehouse is coming, I'm not sure if REI would come up here so fast.

Sportsman's Warehouse is more for hunting though, and REI is more for enjoyment of the outdoors.

Since Sportsman's Warehouse is coming, I'm not sure if REI would come up here so fast.

Sportsman's Warehouse is more for hunting though, and REI is more for enjoyment of the outdoors.

Yeah there is more compitition for a store like REI. Fayetteville has Packrat and there are some Lewis and Clark locations around northwest Arkansas. That might keep them from entering our market for a while possibly.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone heard about the raw food craze going on in the West Coast and East Coast.

I'm not sure if NWA or even Arkansas has a Raw Food Restaurant, but I think one would be widely accepted especially in Fayetteville or Bentonville.

I haven't heard it specifically but I'm not too surprised seeing how sashimi seems to be catching on in other areas of the country. Yeah I could see something like that doing well in the area.

I think Fayetteville would work out best for it, being a college town and all.

I would definately check something like that out if we had one.

It does seem like something that might do best in Fayetteville, although I wouldn't necessarily rule out Rogers either.

Archived