What's Missing in Northwest Arkansas?

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since you started this a topic like this in the Arkansas forum and someone mentioned a landmark for Little Rock, thought I might mention that idea for northwest Arkansas too. What would make a great landmakr for northwest Arkansas?

Tough idea.

I'd have to say a large skyscraper around 45+ Floors that would be condos/mixed-use.

Tough idea.

I'd have to say a large skyscraper around 45+ Floors that would be condos/mixed-use.

I know where you're coming from but I don't think it has to be something like that. Especially since I don't see any building coming in like that for decades. I'm not sure how many stories the Met Bank Building in Little Rock is but I don't know if many people consider it Little Rock's landmark. I think maybe if you think of a city like Sydney. I know it does have skyscrapers but everyone thinks of the Sydney Opera House. A building like that is probably more likely to happen for northwest Arkansas. Maybe Crystal Bridges can eventually be thought of northwest Arkansas' landmark.

A BIG WALMART BILBOARD THAT SAYS HOME OF WAL-MART

:rofl::rofl:

..kidding.

That's hard to determine.

Crystal Bridges probably will be an icon for Benton County but not for all of NWA.

It might be a bit too reclusive off in the woods there for people to think of it an a landmark, that's true. I guess you also run into the problem of having a 'landmark' that identifies all of northwest Arkansas and not just one particular city of even one county.

• 2 weeks later...

As odd as this may sound, we need more people. Unemployment just keeps dropping. While this may sound great most of the time it's just getting to low up here. It's getting too hard to fill jobs up here. 2.6%, that's just too low. I think this could become a bigger problem. It can be hard to generate more jobs if there isn't enough people to to fill the jobs already present. I hate to feel like we're trying to siphon off Ft Smith's people but with the big layoffs down there I'd hope at least some of them would consider coming up here. I also hope we don't have to foolow through on that idea of busing people from Ft Smith to work up here on a daily basis.

As odd as this may sound, we need more people. Unemployment just keeps dropping. While this may sound great most of the time it's just getting to low up here. It's getting too hard to fill jobs up here. 2.6%, that's just too low. I think this could become a bigger problem. It can be hard to generate more jobs if there isn't enough people to to fill the jobs already present. I hate to feel like we're trying to siphon off Ft Smith's people but with the big layoffs down there I'd hope at least some of them would consider coming up here. I also hope we don't have to foolow through on that idea of busing people from Ft Smith to work up here on a daily basis.

Unemployment can't reach zero because a number of people milk it or refuse to return to work. It's widely accepted that 2.5%-ish means real unemployment is essentially zero. You're right, I think that makes it very hard to lure new companies to NWA.

Unemployment can't reach zero because a number of people milk it or refuse to return to work. It's widely accepted that 2.5%-ish means real unemployment is essentially zero. You're right, I think that makes it very hard to lure new companies to NWA.

Yeah I think that sort of think is happening right now. It's hard to keep anyone because people know they can just leave and probably easily find another job. I do know that will mean more people and more traffic, but I think such low unemployment could potentially hurt the metro up here.

LOL.........there are many many many cities who would love this problem. This is a great thing for NWA because it keeps incomes healthy. I do see your point though but I would much rather have the problem of a low unemployment rate than a bunch of unemployed people....some who become shiftless and ne'er-do-wells. Congratulations to NWA for providing its citizens a way to make a living.

Sorry, I just had to congratulate you guys on this great piece (although it's a dilema in this post) news.

LOL.........there are many many many cities who would love this problem. This is a great thing for NWA because it keeps incomes healthy. I do see your point though but I would much rather have the problem of a low unemployment rate than a bunch of unemployed people....some who become shiftless and ne'er-do-wells. Congratulations to NWA for providing its citizens a way to make a living.

Sorry, I just had to congratulate you guys on this great piece (although it's a dilema in this post) news.

I do know what you mean and I'm sure there are people wondering about us up here. :lol: For quite a while I was real happy that the unemployment rate has always been so low. But as time has gone on I realize there are diadvantages to it too. Especially since ours seems to be dropping the last few years. When you're talking about busing people from Ft Smith to work here on a daily basis I think that shows just how badly we could use more people up here.

It is a dilema, because one we have a pretty healthy economy, but that economy and it's growth could be cut off if the unemployment rate isn't raised. Many companies look past NWA because of it's low unemployement rate.

Yeah, and I'd still like to really expand our job base and get some tech jobs and such into the metro. I still think we need a more diversified job base.

If things keep going the way they are, I might be a little too specialized for the area though I certainly wouldn't mind living in Fayetteville. I'd have season tickets to all things UA.

Yeah Little Rock would be much more likely place for you to come to in Arkansas. But who knows hopefully we'll eventually get to a point where this metro could support jobs like yours.

So, any thoughts on a dragstrip?

I don't think Fayetteville would go for it. There was a small racetrack in the southern part of the city and I think they eventually shut it down. I got the impression the city didn't like it being around too much. Don't know if the other cities would think of it, maybe Springdale.

I think Springdale might.

The reason I say this is because I know we have a lot of Street Racer Type in NW Arkansas. This would be a much safer place for people to race, and the city of Springdale could hold competitions in it and even charge fees. It would be a kind of win win situation.

I think Springdale might.

The reason I say this is because I know we have a lot of Street Racer Type in NW Arkansas. This would be a much safer place for people to race, and the city of Springdale could hold competitions in it and even charge fees. It would be a kind of win win situation.

That's not really my type of thing, but I don't think I'd have any problem with there being one here. Not sure I'd want it in Fayetteville though.

Archived