Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

Can the sales/marketing information be shared for this place? I like this part of town and am definitely interested too. 

Its still being finalized. I'll let you know when i hear more. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just don't understand why the zoning is only 5 units/acre when you are one block from South Blvd and within walking distance of a Lynx station.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/going_green/2014/03/charlotte-planning-zoning-board-oppose-weekley.html

This should definitely be under Dilworth-less as I'm sure the powers and overseers of SouthEnd would not oppose such a development.

Ok, I'm pleased with the approval of the 12 Townhomes and Hotel Development...  :good:

I just get frustrated with the seemingly NIMBY position taken more often than not..

If 23 town homes won't work there, then make a suggestion as to how many would be acceptable.

Why completely kill a development, that's not even in the Historic district and not try to collaborate on a win-win.

As a future home-buyer waiting patiently for more new-build opportunities in the area it's just frustrating to see a project like this killed.

Edited by RVA2CLT

"Uppity" is a terrible term, as it implies that it is not ok to demand or seek a higher level.

The higher threshold that Dilworth sets is certainly to protect the higher class section of the neighborhood from an onslaught of bad development.  However, the result of their excessiveness is often that development actually meets a higher standard.   Weren't people complaining in this thread constantly that SouthEnd is not doing anything to raise the bar on the quality of new development?  Dilworth does not have that problem generally, and often gains very good concessions from developers.  

That said, I am totally fine with these, especially because of their locations on the edge of the neighborhood.  The hotel replaces a gas/service station with contaminated soil (of course).  The condo project does seem to match the density that is already all around the site.  

They also sought and got improvements to the projects on Morehead which now might actually house that Walgreens or a Fresh Market on the first floor of an apartment building.   That is literally uppity, since we'd get a 4-6 story building over a single-story suburban retail store.   Even if the original Walgreens had moved forward, they at least had already gotten them to make the aesthetics vastly better.    It is not so bad to require certain positive threshold to be met.   If the city was more uppity, we might not end up with the likes of back-of-lot Bojangles at 3rd and Charlottetowne or an auto mall along our billion dollar transit expansion, and [the entire rest of University City which doesn't even have a real neighborhood name].

:)  I just googled, and I'm sure this is just a sarcastic opinion.  

So then Dilworth and the city are not uppity enough, as maybe they could have applied leverage and gotten more design concessions that would have made it a less boring building.   I still think it looks better than all the La Quintas I could find, but while I personally think it looks ok, it is really exceedingly boring.   We have a weird twist where I bet they didn't take any design risks BECAUSE of Dilworth, yet at least it is not the beige EIFS crap that seems to be a bad design epidemic lately, but is still in the boring brick mediocrity category.  

This is why we'll never be a "cool" city.  We embrace mediocrity over substance.  IMHO, development for development's sake is not something we should aspire to.  

Normally I would have similar gripes, but in this particular case I think it would be foolish to oppose on the basis of aesthetics. The form might be lacking, but the function is great and is the bigger issue. We have zero, count em, zero actual hotels in our inner ring neighborhoods and I think its way past time that we proved that they can work. This blurry edge between Southend and Dilworth is proving difficult to plan right now, and if we ever want it to be anything more interesting than townhomes I suggest we encourage this small first push, and push harder for more unique aesthetics once the momentum is there. 

I just did a google image search for La Quinta.  I was wrong.  Interstate La Quintas look far better than the "Worthington" rendering.  Adding insult to injury, the font chosen by the developer is also terrible.

As I got "spouted" at me via twitter last night. The purpose of a rezoning is solely to make sure the land use is appropriate and adhered too. 

ITs the job of the planning department to make sure things turn out decent. All renderings used for rezonings are 9 times out of 10 not the finished product.

All renderings used for rezonings are 9 times out of 10 not the finished product.

Sadly, this is true.  Things usually turn out worse. If every finished project looked like a Risden McElroy rendering, we'd probably all be very happy with Charlotte architecture.

Edit: And this is NOT a Risden McElroy rendering in question.  

Edited by Miesian Corners