Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

Sign went up today on the corner of Worthington & Cleveland for "The Cottages on Worthington", another development from Wendy Field. Not sure of the scope of the project, but from the name I'm guessing it will be very similar to The Cottages on Euclid. 

Which corner? The vacant taxi lot (on the S blvd side) or the Yellow house and associated businesses on the Euclid side?

Sign went up today on the corner of Worthington & Cleveland for "The Cottages on Worthington", another development from Wendy Field. Not sure of the scope of the project, but from the name I'm guessing it will be very similar to The Cottages on Euclid. 

http://www.thecottagesonworthington.com/

Ugh, Although I'm liking the prospects of living in a community like this one day. I just can't see myself buying a 600k-900k bungalow. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The steel work is getting close to being topped out on the new Duke Foundation HQ.  While the project is not too exciting architecturally, I caught a glimpse of the facade mock-up yesterday and "wow".  From a quick glance, it looks like a mix of white/gray granite and very light colored limestone.  Probably highest quality materials/aesthetics of any facade in the city.  Will be interesting to see what they do for the shingles, because a basic architectural asphalt shingle will be underwhelming now.

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news folks...I haven't verified this claim but was told by a friend that Brueggers on East has abruptly closed. They said they went in yesterday and were given free bagels as it was their last day open. An employee claimed that CMC plans to level the building and expand the parking lot. Again, this is 3rd-hand info but it sounds pretty grim, does anyone know more? I really can hardly believe what a terrible neighborhood citizen CMC is if true.

Edit: Went by this morning...confirmed that they've closed. A sign on the door simply says "this bakery has closed, sorry for the inconvenience". It wasn't even Bruegger's branded which I thought was weird, and the Lincoln Harris "retail space available" sign is still up for the Caribou side. I'm hoping that the employee my friends spoke too was wrong about the plans to demolish the building. 

Edited by nonillogical

Hasn't there always been a long term plan in place by CMC to improve that whole corridor of East Blvd?  I thought I remembered a Center City Partners meeting that mentioned CMC buying all that land (including Cantina), and intending to raze those buildings and replace them with medical office and new retail space is a mixed use format.

Bad news folks...I haven't verified this claim but was told by a friend that Brueggers on East has abruptly closed. They said they went in yesterday and were given free bagels as it was their last day open. An employee claimed that CMC plans to level the building and expand the parking lot. Again, this is 3rd-hand info but it sounds pretty grim, does anyone know more? I really can hardly believe what a terrible neighborhood citizen CMC is if true.

Edit: Went by this morning...confirmed that they've closed. A sign on the door simply says "this bakery has closed, sorry for the inconvenience". It wasn't even Bruegger's branded which I thought was weird, and the Lincoln Harris "retail space available" sign is still up for the Caribou side. I'm hoping that the employee my friends spoke too was wrong about the plans to demolish the building. 

I've said this before, but CMC is pure evil.  From leveling large parts of Dilworth to maintaining a large surface parking lot along the greenway, they do nothing but harm the neighborhood.  Yes, I know they're a huge employer, but every acre they consume is yet another one taken off the tax rolls (they pay zip, as they're a quasi-public agency).  There is no legitimate reason the hospital can't go up, rather than out.  Before it's over with, they'll have gobbled all of Lombardy Circle and all of the North side of East Blvd from Queens Rd West to Kenilworth Ave.  

Hasn't there always been a long term plan in place by CMC to improve that whole corridor of East Blvd?  I thought I remembered a Center City Partners meeting that mentioned CMC buying all that land (including Cantina), and intending to raze those buildings and replace them with medical office and new retail space is a mixed use format.

I would like to believe that they plan on building mixed-use buildings with street-facing retail on East, but I won't until I see it. They leveled a couple of usable buildings across the street from here a few years ago to put in a surface lot (that I rarely see near capacity, mind you) and mini park.

Considering they just recently added 2 levels to the large parking deck on Scott, and so I guess are willing to spend the money on going vertical occasionally, I'm surprised that they see adding a couple dozen spaces blocks away from the hospital by tearing down an insanely popular neighborhood business as worth the trouble.

I've said this before, but CMC is pure evil.  From leveling large parts of Dilworth to maintaining a large surface parking lot along the greenway, they do nothing but harm the neighborhood.  Yes, I know they're a huge employer, but every acre they consume is yet another one taken off the tax rolls (they pay zip, as they're a quasi-public agency).  There is no legitimate reason the hospital can't go up, rather than out.  Before it's over with, they'll have gobbled all of Lombardy Circle and all of the North side of East Blvd from Queens Rd West to Kenilworth Ave.  

How vertical do you want them to go? The hospital is already at 11 stories (12 if you count mechanicals), instead of building a new ICU out they built it on top of an existing building.  Due to the number of elevators Hospitals need they can't really go too high.  The Medical Office Buildings pretty much have to be separate from the hospital.  Hospitals must confirm to a much stricter fire safety standard than MOBs.  If MOBs were built to that level they would not be financially viable. 

CMC as it sits now reduces it's tax implications.  The size of the organization (which market conditions demand) could take up much more land if it weren't on a mega block. While it's not ideal from a neighborhood or city planning perspective, hospitals pretty much require mega blocks.  Even in NYC a hospital will easily take up a block or two.

It's been a while since I looked at the maps of what CMC owns, but they pretty much own everything between Scott and Kings, and between East and Morehead. 

What I've heard (through hearsay) is the plan is to put MOBs and the medical college there.  Currently the medical college is in the Medical Education building across from the ER.  That's only workable because it's the last two years of school only (much less class time during those years), it's not a permanent solution.

Someone in another thread mentioned a construction trailor at Morehead and Harding, speculating it was for Crescent Dilworth.

The work that is about to begin is actually on the other side of Harding, and is a small addition to the Little Sugar Creek Greenway, which right now is just an overgrown field.  They will be doing a decent amount of hardscaping, as well as adding a decorative railing to the north side of the Morehead bridge over the creek (but unfortunately, I don't think they are widening the sidewalk width on the bridge which is a bit narrow).

• 3 weeks later...

I am not clear on how much of this is new but the Observer has an article discussing a large, mixed-use project at Morehead and Kenilworth (diagonally across from the quashed Walgreens / Harris project). This project includes an 'interior' drive through for a drug store.

The rendering shows something appropriate, but generic.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/09/13/4307888/new-proposal-for-pharmacy-at-kenilworth.html#.UjMP7Gt5mSM

Edited by kermit

If they had substantial ground floor shops, I would be very supportive, but as is, no thanks....would wait for something better right at the corner.

One problem is that Morehead is a State road and therefore I don't believe can have parallel parking recessed into the curb.

I wonder if the hospital will ever build the promised multi-family buildings shielding their parking deck they promised the neighborhood?

Speaking of Kenilworth/Morehead....here are renderings to the new apartment project diagnol across the intersection (where Lincoln Harris was proposing the denied Walgreens).  Terwilliger Pappas is planning 175 apartment units.  I feel like the "craftsman" look is a bit silly here, as this part of Dilworth isn't heavy on craftsman style like the Kingston-to-Tremont area.  The Crescent project is a much better fit.  This is going to be a lot of new residents within 1 block. (almost 800 units).

RES52.jpgRES54.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

While I doubt that it is anything significant but this building on Caldwell at Templeton was being gutted and/or demoed today. I am relatively certain its part of the Pritchard Baptist Church complex so I suspect its just a church-related remodel but I wanted to check with the experts here before I wrote it off as such.

EDIT: Thanks RDF!

Edited by kermit

While I doubt that it is anything significant but this building on Caldwell at Templeton was being gutted and/or demoed today. I am relatively certain its part of the Pritchard Baptist Church complex so I suspect its just a church-related remodel but I wanted to check with the experts here before I wrote it off as such.

Pritchard Memorial Baptist Church Playgrounds

Remove +/- 8 parking spaces and provide playground space on both sides of the Williams Building. The Williams Building will also undergo renovations to the interior and some façade changes.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/going_green/2013/09/wendy-field-withdraws-rezoning-dilworth.html
Damn it looks like we will have one less development in Dilworth. The old Abandoned Gas Station on East Worthington and Cleveland avenues will not be redeveloped into Multifamily any longer due to soil concerns. I don't know if that means this site will have to be considered a Brownfield or not.

I would guess the cost to clean up the site was too much to justify for 31 units and the seller was not willing to take a price cut. It's disappointing though since that would have been a great addition to the area. 

Edited by Prodev

Maybe we'll see a 4-5 story condo on site as was originally planned.  Something the scale of the Tremont or 2125 Southend Drive.  Spread out over more units the cost to clean up the site is less than her planned townhomes.  It's a shame as I'd be ready to buy as those townhomes were going to finish up and I was really intrigued by this project.  Probably better for me I don't live directly across the street from a Dunkin Donuts haha