Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

I like this one so much better than the "craftsman-style" complex going up across the street.

Look at it on the bright side... At least there will be architectural diversity on opposite corners. Not something you can say everywhere in Charlotte. 

Question. What are those giant holes in the building above where the cars enter/exit the parking deck?

I was hoping that they went into floor by floor detail so that i could figure that out myself. It APPEARS that there is three floors of apartments cantilevered over god only knows what... I have NO CLUE though.

Speaking of Kenilworth/Morehead....here are renderings to the new apartment project diagnol across the intersection (where Lincoln Harris was proposing the denied Walgreens).  Terwilliger Pappas is planning 175 apartment units.  I feel like the "craftsman" look is a bit silly here, as this part of Dilworth isn't heavy on craftsman style like the Kingston-to-Tremont area.  The Crescent project is a much better fit.  This is going to be a lot of new residents within 1 block. (almost 800 units).

RES52.jpgRES54.jpg

Good lord!  My goodness, that's ugly.  Do developers actually hire architects anymore?

^I didn't know Dilworth was getting a Great Wolf Lodge  :ermm:   

Really though I might in a weird way prefer this to having anything too reminiscent of southend or the development on the opposite corner (even though that project looks much, MUCH better). 

It's certainly different, and I'm okay with that. Its hideous, but good lord, at least its different.

I believe this proposal is for the property diagonally across the intersection from your google map.

Nope, it's the one diagonal from the Tudor-style house that was in question with the Walgreens proposal. If you look at the top of the site plan, you can see Harding Place, which is in the direction of the Met instead of in the direction towards East Blvd.

I think you all are talking about different buildings.   The one that most on here are considering ugly, "the craftsman style" one, is going where the Tudor home is.   The large one with the "holes" is going diagonally across from that where the empty office building is.

• Like 1

I think you all are talking about different buildings.   The one that most on here are considering ugly, "the craftsman style" one, is going where the Tudor home is.   The large one with the "holes" is going diagonally across from that where the empty office building is.

Thank you for clarifying. I was getting all confused for a while there! Kind of interesting that the craftsman style will be replacing the tudor style.

• 3 weeks later...

Construction fencing is up for the Crescent Dilworth project at Morehead & Harding, and it looks like gutting/demo of the existing buildings is starting.

The greenway work on the other side of Harding is also coming along, with a low brick wall and a bunch of boulders. I was hoping that this site could one day support an outparcel retail building or something since I thought some greenway-facing dining would be a no-brainer, but I guess its in the flood zone so I'm glad its at least seeing some beautification.

• Like 1

THIS is what large-scale residential blocks should aspire to. Every element blends with such elegance (assuming it's built and appears the same as what we're seeing), and I'm in love with the arbor-ed patios. Hope this sets a good example to some future extent.

This is what happens when things are built in Dilworth instead of SouthEnd.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like there are plans to build a 5 story hotel, with a bar on the 6th floor at Worthington and Cleveland.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2014/001-004/2014-002%20site%20plan.pdf

The site was supposed to be 30 townhomes, but there was a issue with soil contamination. Interesting that a hotel developer found it interesting enough to buy into.