Transportation Projects, Roads, Light Rail, etc

mcheiss

Future Proposed Northwest Arkansas Transportation Projects  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which Project is the best option for the future of Northwest Arkansas?

• 10 Stop Light Rail System
    • Western Bypass
    • I-540 Improvements (6 to 8 lanes)
    • Eastern Parkway
    • Regionwide Bus Service
    • Pedestrian Facilities
    • Bicycle Facilities
    • Ride Share Programs

Since the mention og the light rail system came up in one of the other topics recently. I thought it was interesting that it was mentioned on KNWA. Apparently the former Secretary of Transportation was in the area today and was talking about it and other projects. He mentioned how it was a good idea to be looking into this seriously before it becomes too late. I wish I had some more details, but I couldn't hear much because I was on the phone talking to my parents.

Just another update on the 6:00 KNWA news that I caught. There was also consultants from other light rails projects around the nation here also at the Springdale Convention Center. One consultant mentioned the possibility of using the existing railroad line and that he thought it could work well. He didn't mention it or it wasn't in the sound bite but I would think this would really help cut down cost on the project. They did also mention that there still needs to be a study done on this first.

Just another update on the 6:00 KNWA news that I caught. There was also consultants from other light rails projects around the nation here also at the Springdale Convention Center. One consultant mentioned the possibility of using the existing railroad line and that he thought it could work well. He didn't mention it or it wasn't in the sound bite but I would think this would really help cut down cost on the project. They did also mention that there still needs to be a study done on this first.

Yes, it was a great day for the Light Rail.

Slater (former Secretary of Transportation) talked about how NW Arkansas had gotten money for I-540 and XNA, and then said that the Light Rail has to be done in similar ways. The president of the Arkansas/Missouri Railroad even spoke and said that he would support the Light Rail being built on the existing tracks and/or using the right of way as long as it didn't interfere with his current operations.

The only problem with this of course is the money. How are we going to get between $550 Million to $1 Billion?

Taxes?

Higher Gas Prices?

Lobbying Congress?

Yes, it was a great day for the Light Rail.

Slater (former Secretary of Transportation) talked about how NW Arkansas had gotten money for I-540 and XNA, and then said that the Light Rail has to be done in similar ways. The president of the Arkansas/Missouri Railroad even spoke and said that he would support the Light Rail being built on the existing tracks and/or using the right of way as long as it didn't interfere with his current operations.

The only problem with this of course is the money. How are we going to get between $550 Million to $1 Billion?

Taxes?

Higher Gas Prices?

Lobbying Congress?

I would doubt it would be around the high end if we use the pre-existing rail. I would imagine we could get some federal money for something like this. But I still imagine we'd need to come up with more. I wonder if we'd have to use some of the money that would have otherwise been spent on road improvements and such. And keep in mind it's not like we have to get all the money and do all of this now. But we should start trying to plan ahead.

I would doubt it would be around the high end if we use the pre-existing rail. I would imagine we could get some federal money for something like this. But I still imagine we'd need to come up with more. I wonder if we'd have to use some of the money that would have otherwise been spent on road improvements and such. And keep in mind it's not like we have to get all the money and do all of this now. But we should start trying to plan ahead.

That's true.

I still don't see why they want to include Centerton and XNA into the Light Rail. These places would be the least supportive of Light Rail and is where the bulk of the cost of land and right of way for track is going to be.

Take an instance to what Nasheville's Light Rail has done, they used pre-existing track and it only cost them around $30 Million.

Using existing rail would make it heavy rail by definition. It would work but be far less flexible.

I would expect the higher end estimate. Virtually any major civic project in the country right now is running over high estimates because of the shortage of constuction materials, especially steel, because of China's booming economy.

Using existing rail would make it heavy rail by definition. It would work but be far less flexible.

I would expect the higher end estimate. Virtually any major civic project in the country right now is running over high estimates because of the shortage of constuction materials, especially steel, because of China's booming economy.

I guess you could say that since it's not being built now that perhaps construction materials could be cheaper at some point in the future although I would imagine inflation is probably going to counteract any benefit you might get there. I guess I hadn't thought of the light rail by definition. I just support tusing the pre-existing rail because I figured it would be a much cheaper way to go than having to buy out people for land rights and such.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard that Ozark Regional Transit is now giving free rides on any one of the 7 fixed routes in NW Arkansas until Christmas Day!!!!

This is a bold move, but I guess they've got to market the system to the public somehow.

I agree, I heard their counts have increased around 45% just the first several days into the week. I do think this will really help get them on the map more with people in the area.

I agree, I heard their counts have increased around 45% just the first several days into the week. I do think this will really help get them on the map more with people in the area.

Hopefully.

I haven't rode the system yet, but I might reconsider.

They've upgraded a bus in Rogers to where it has a electronic destination sign on the top of it. It's still a real small bus, but it's really beginning to take off.

Hopefully.

I haven't rode the system yet, but I might reconsider.

They've upgraded a bus in Rogers to where it has a electronic destination sign on the top of it. It's still a real small bus, but it's really beginning to take off.

Yeah I think all of the Razorback Transit buses have those. Unless one breaks down and they have to pull out one of their old 'emergency use' buses. I admit I really haven't made much use of the bus system either. Maybe I should consider it for when I'm taking pics. But I don't know that they have too many routes near where I live. Most of the time I just find a general parking area and simply walk all around where I'm wanting to go. Slightly different topic but it reminds me of when I was taking pics in Pine Bluff. My family thought I was crazy walking all over the place taking pics. It's just not something that everyone does down there. I think it also has to do with the fact of the fear that there are a numkber of poorer people walking around and they're reaction to you. I did get some odd looks from people. :D

Yeah I think all of the Razorback Transit buses have those. Unless one breaks down and they have to pull out one of their old 'emergency use' buses. I admit I really haven't made much use of the bus system either. Maybe I should consider it for when I'm taking pics. But I don't know that they have too many routes near where I live. Most of the time I just find a general parking area and simply walk all around where I'm wanting to go. Slightly different topic but it reminds me of when I was taking pics in Pine Bluff. My family thought I was crazy walking all over the place taking pics. It's just not something that everyone does down there. I think it also has to do with the fact of the fear that there are a numkber of poorer people walking around and they're reaction to you. I did get some odd looks from people. :D

Riding the bus would get you around in Fayetteville, and you'd be able to take a lot more pics.

Does Pine Bluff have a bus system?

Riding the bus would get you around in Fayetteville, and you'd be able to take a lot more pics.

Does Pine Bluff have a bus system?

I'm not sure if it would prove as useful as it sounds. I try to have decent pics and I'm not a big fan of taking pics from moving vehicles. I'm still trying to think of other areas to take pics of in the future when I have time again. And yes Pine Bluff does have a bus system. I'm not sure if it was running much the holiday weekend I was there though. I'm also not really sure what type of routes they have.

I'm not sure if it would prove as useful as it sounds. I try to have decent pics and I'm not a big fan of taking pics from moving vehicles. I'm still trying to think of other areas to take pics of in the future when I have time again. And yes Pine Bluff does have a bus system. I'm not sure if it was running much the holiday weekend I was there though. I'm also not really sure what type of routes they have.

No, I ment that taking a bus and getting off a stop and then taking pictures and getting back on another bus.

Of course that could prove a little pricy.

No, I ment that taking a bus and getting off a stop and then taking pictures and getting back on another bus.

Of course that could prove a little pricy.

Okay I see what you're saying. I guess it's more of a question if the buses go to places that I'd be interested taking pics in. I'm still not sure if anyone would have much interest in pics around the mall area. Or most of College Ave for that matter. Oh well I won't have much time for taking pics anyway for a while, but I do want to sometime start getting some more pics posted from Fayetteville. Maybe after the holidays I can start considering other areas in northwest Arkansas outside of Fayetteville.

Looks like Springdale and Fayetteville are going to work together to widen Hwy 265 in the eastern parts of their cities. Fayetteville really dropped the ball when they widened it to only three lanes less than a decade ago. They really should have done more when they already had people out there. I haven't actually heard if it's going to be 4 or 5 lanes. I would assume 5 lanes.

Looks like Springdale and Fayetteville are going to work together to widen Hwy 265 in the eastern parts of their cities. Fayetteville really dropped the ball when they widened it to only three lanes less than a decade ago. They really should have done more when they already had people out there. I haven't actually heard if it's going to be 4 or 5 lanes. I would assume 5 lanes.

Sounds like it should be welcomed!!!

Does that road go near any potential development?

Sounds like it should be welcomed!!!

Does that road go near any potential development?

I'm not positive about all the Springdale part but much of that area is residential in Fayetteville. By the way the botanical garden I mentioned and took pics of is right next to Hwy265. It's bit built up in some areas of Fayetteville. Crossover (Hwy 265) and Mission is a big intersection in that area of the city.

I'm not positive about all the Springdale part but much of that area is residential in Fayetteville. By the way the botanical garden I mentioned and took pics of is right next to Hwy265. It's bit built up in some areas of Fayetteville. Crossover (Hwy 265) and Mission is a big intersection in that area of the city.

Good to hear. I haven't seen the botanical garden yet, but I hope to some time.