Transportation Projects, Roads, Light Rail, etc

mcheiss

Future Proposed Northwest Arkansas Transportation Projects  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which Project is the best option for the future of Northwest Arkansas?

• 10 Stop Light Rail System
    • Western Bypass
    • I-540 Improvements (6 to 8 lanes)
    • Eastern Parkway
    • Regionwide Bus Service
    • Pedestrian Facilities
    • Bicycle Facilities
    • Ride Share Programs

I've heard of some talk of city and regional officials proposing to install "pedestrian friendly traffic signals" in the area.

These traffic signals show a display of how much time a pedestrian has to cross a street before the light changes. These would probably work pretty well in Fayetteville around the university and such.

I know Little Rock has some, but I'm not sure if anybody else does.

Yeah I don't see them a whole lot but I think there's one or two around Fayetteville.

Yeah I don't see them a whole lot but I think there's one or two around Fayetteville.

Really?

I didn't know that.

We really could use some up here in Bentonville around the Wal-Mart Headquarters. Also, the intersections near the Pinnacle Area and Pleasant Grove Road Developments should have some.

Really?

I didn't know that.

We really could use some up here in Bentonville around the Wal-Mart Headquarters. Also, the intersections near the Pinnacle Area and Pleasant Grove Road Developments should have some.

yeah I admit my main experiance with them is out west in some of the more touristy towns. Where you have lots of pedestrian traffic. But yes it would be nice to have more around here too. We also have some of the ones that play music when it's okay to go.

Edited by Mith242

yeah I admit my main experiance with them is out west in some of the more touristy towns. Where you have lots of pedestrian traffic. But yes it would be nice to have more around here too. We also have some of the ones that play music when it's okay to go.

That's a cool concept.

When I was in Washington D.C., they were everywhere, even in the burbs.

It really is a neat concept though.

There was an article in today's Arkansas Democrat Gazette about the bus system working pretty well in Ft Smith. Sounds like they're even looking into putting in a bus station and more shelters for their benches. The article mentioned other cities also doing better with their bus systems. It mentioned Ozark Regional but didn't really give any figures.

There was an article in today's Arkansas Democrat Gazette about the bus system working pretty well in Ft Smith. Sounds like they're even looking into putting in a bus station and more shelters for their benches. The article mentioned other cities also doing better with their bus systems. It mentioned Ozark Regional but didn't really give any figures.

On Ozark Regional Transit, the article said that passenger boardings have gone from 60 a day to about 200 a day.

There were some public sessions in Springdale about the 2030 long term road plan for the area. It should be hitting Rogers later this week. All of the projects add up to $1.9 Bil but they are only expecting to have 1/6th of that money during that period. Here's a rundown on some of the possible projects and their costs. A western bypass - $400 MIl, I-540 improvements - $377 Mil, smaller highways improvements - $356 Mil, Springdale 412bypass - $300 Mil, improvements to local and regional roads - $252 Mil, Bella Vista bypass - $163 Mil, Siloam Springs bypass - $83 Mil, and Prarie Grove bypass - $26 Mil.

There were some public sessions in Springdale about the 2030 long term road plan for the area. It should be hitting Rogers later this week. All of the projects add up to $1.9 Bil but they are only expecting to have 1/6th of that money during that period. Here's a rundown on some of the possible projects and their costs. A western bypass - $400 MIl, I-540 improvements - $377 Mil, smaller highways improvements - $356 Mil, Springdale 412bypass - $300 Mil, improvements to local and regional roads - $252 Mil, Bella Vista bypass - $163 Mil, Siloam Springs bypass - $83 Mil, and Prarie Grove bypass - $26 Mil.

Have you heard of the Prarie Grove Bypass or the Siloam Springs Bypass?

Have you heard of the Prarie Grove Bypass or the Siloam Springs Bypass?

Yeah they've both been talked about for a while. I don't think they get as much attention because they're further out on the edge of the metro I guess. That and I don't think overall it will effect the metro as much as most of those other projects will.

Are these really needed though?

They are needed probably as much as other projects in the area. I guess it's more of a problem because they aren't in the 'core' of the metro. I'm not saying I'd put them at the top of my priority list, although I'm sure people who live in those cities might. This is going to be an ongoing problem in the future. Do you save you money for a major project or do you spend money that you already have on smaller projects that will only affect certain areas. Which of course will come down to the people who live near the smaller project thinking it is ncessary while people who live in another city won't see it as necessary. But I do wonder where those two projects are on the list to be completed first.

They are needed probably as much as other projects in the area. I guess it's more of a problem because they aren't in the 'core' of the metro. I'm not saying I'd put them at the top of my priority list, although I'm sure people who live in those cities might. This is going to be an ongoing problem in the future. Do you save you money for a major project or do you spend money that you already have on smaller projects that will only affect certain areas. Which of course will come down to the people who live near the smaller project thinking it is ncessary while people who live in another city won't see it as necessary. But I do wonder where those two projects are on the list to be completed first.

Which is the biggest priority?

My guess would have to be either I-540 improvements - $377 Mil or improvements to local and regional roads - $252 Mil.

Which is the biggest priority?

My guess would have to be either I-540 improvements - $377 Mil or improvements to local and regional roads - $252 Mil.

Honestly I don't think they've set any priorities just yet. Although there are probably projects that will be done before others. I would imagine the smaller projects are more likely to be done soon. Some of the bigger projects may not get started for quite a while unless there is enough support to put off some smaller projects to help get a big one going. Then it's also going to depend on the big projects too. I don't think anyone has decided which way to go just yet. Like between a western bypass or widening I-540. Some people prefer a western bypass over widening I-540. Of course I'm not one of them, but I wouldn't be ready to say I-540 will get preference over another big project. I didn't see any mention of the eastern parkway. Not sure if that means it's not being taken quite as seriously or what.

Honestly I don't think they've set any priorities just yet. Although there are probably projects that will be done before others. I would imagine the smaller projects are more likely to be done soon. Some of the bigger projects may not get started for quite a while unless there is enough support to put off some smaller projects to help get a big one going. Then it's also going to depend on the big projects too. I don't think anyone has decided which way to go just yet. Like between a western bypass or widening I-540. Some people prefer a western bypass over widening I-540. Of course I'm not one of them, but I wouldn't be ready to say I-540 will get preference over another big project. I didn't see any mention of the eastern parkway. Not sure if that means it's not being taken quite as seriously or what.

The Light Rail wasn't on there either, or a regionwide bus service.

No but I do think the sessions are focusing more on road projects and not transportation projects. I could be wrong about this, I wasn't there to actually see it.

My bad, this is the road projects list.

I forgot to tell you, but while I went out to run an errand, I saw 2 ozark regional transit buses in less than 5 minutes, and each was full.

My bad, this is the road projects list.

I forgot to tell you, but while I went out to run an errand, I saw 2 ozark regional transit buses in less than 5 minutes, and each was full.

I see them on the weekends but not really during the week. Maybe I am just not in the right places during the week to see any. Of course I do see plenty of Razorback during the weekdays.

A bit off topic perhaps but the Heritage Trail Partners had a ceremony earlier this week. While markers were put up on roads and such there's also a trail system that's developing. Much of which will be based around the heritage trail. Much of it is based around the old Butterfield Stage Coach Route, part of the Trail of Tears and other old trails. The ceremony was at Fitzgerald Station in eastern Springdale where the Butterfield Stage used to stop. In fact the old barn where it stopped at still exists today. The plan is to use the trail here in Springdale and link all the master planned trails in all of the cities of northwest Arkansas, creating a regional trail system. Although there are plenty of nice trails to go on in the Ozarks, having something closer to the metro is very nice. The trail system will be open to bikes, jogging, and walking.

After having more talks about the future 2030 road plan in Rogers there seems to be a general consensus in the area. People are willing to have to pay to get roads done in the area, whether it be a higher form of tax or the roads being set up as toll roads. I think toll roads will be more accepted here than other areas of Arkansas. First of all I think people know it's probably almost the only way these roads will be completed. Second is that a number of people in this area are somewhat used to toll roads to a certain degree because of our proximity to Oklahoma which uses them quite frequently.

After having more talks about the future 2030 road plan in Rogers there seems to be a general consensus in the area. People are willing to have to pay to get roads done in the area, whether it be a higher form of tax or the roads being set up as toll roads. I think toll roads will be more accepted here than other areas of Arkansas. First of all I think people know it's probably almost the only way these roads will be completed. Second is that a number of people in this area are somewhat used to toll roads to a certain degree because of our proximity to Oklahoma which uses them quite frequently.

Yeah, people are accepting that fact that tolls are the best option to get projects done. At least the younger crowd, the older crowd seems hesitant on higher taxes and tolls.

It looks like there will be a commuter rail forum on wednesday in Springdale.

Rodney Slater, former secretary of transportation will be a key note speaker there. This forum is only going to raise the issues, and not impose things like taxes.

It's another big step in the way of light rail for NWA.

It looks like there will be a commuter rail forum on wednesday in Springdale.

Rodney Slater, former secretary of transportation will be a key note speaker there. This forum is only going to raise the issues, and not impose things like taxes.

It's another big step in the way of light rail for NWA.

We may not need one right now but I'm still glad that at least in some instances this area is looking to the future.