Orchard Park Development

OneSweetWorld

Thanks! I've been looking for a website like that which gives population size. I won't be leaving soon. As much as I loved Austin, I also love how Grand Rapids doesn't have all those stores. We'll see; I left right before the middle of a huge boom though many of my friends lived there for years and tell me all the time how much it has changed. I could go on and on about Austin but I really like GR and I think it's got a lot of potential. I hope it doesn't turn into Austin though.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Nordstrom/Klingmans combo at Centerpointe would be a marriage made in retail heaven but, I think that they would have to commit to it 100% and say goodbye to tennants like Menards, Steve and Barrys, TJMaxx etc. If they're going to go high end, then they should go all the way. A walk through that mall and a quick drive around the perimeter reveals a whole lot of crap - they would have to wipe the slate clean and start from scratch. I agree with joeDowntown - give them the farm to land a REAL Nordstrom's, keep Klingman's in the mix and I think the rest would fall into place.

The Nordstrom/Klingmans combo at Centerpointe would be a marriage made in retail heaven but, I think that they would have to commit to it 100% and say goodbye to tennants like Menards, Steve and Barrys, TJMaxx etc. If they're going to go high end, then they should go all the way. A walk through that mall and a quick drive around the perimeter reveals a whole lot of crap - they would have to wipe the slate clean and start from scratch. I agree with joeDowntown - give them the farm to land a REAL Nordstrom's, keep Klingman's in the mix and I think the rest would fall into place.

Well, since Austin's been mentioned and I see a GR newbie and former Austinite on the forum, I thought I should stop lurking and say hello. I've also just moved to GR - most recently from Iowa, but before that I lived in Austin for about 10 years - and I'm really enjoying it here. I still love Austin, but I tend to agree - it's gone (is going through) a big development boom that I fear is taking away a lot of its fantastic local character. But enough about Austin. Glad to have found this very informative forum about GR!

Well, since Austin's been mentioned and I see a GR newbie and former Austinite on the forum, I thought I should stop lurking and say hello. I've also just moved to GR - most recently from Iowa, but before that I lived in Austin for about 10 years - and I'm really enjoying it here. I still love Austin, but I tend to agree - it's gone (is going through) a big development boom that I fear is taking away a lot of its fantastic local character. But enough about Austin. Glad to have found this very informative forum about GR!

I spent two months in Austin a few years back and really enjoyed it. Plenty of things to do, and excellent Tex-Mex and barbeque (just thinking about it has me wanting some food from Chuy's or The Salt Lick). The downtown area seemed to be fairly quiet at times, but was always busy during the day or on a Friday or Saturday night. I also visited the other major cities in Texas while I was down there, and Austin was by far my favorite. It would be on my list of cities to consider if I ever got tired enough of Michigan winters to move out of the state.

Sorry, I'm getting way :offtopic: for this thread.....

• 2 weeks later...

One my way back from a family trip to Ohio. I took these photos of a Cabela's located just off the US-23/US-50 interchange on the west side of Dundee, MI. Even though the Cabela's proposed for Orchard Park is somewhat smaller than this 300,000 sq. ft. behemoth, these photos of the Dundee store should serve as a good illustration of what to expect for Orchard Park.

So let's have a look.

Defined by a rustic looking covered drop off area, this is the main entrance of the store located on the building's northeast side. Unlike most retail spaces of this size and scope which feature two or more customer entrances, this appears to be the one and only customer entrance. However, what appears to be overflow entrances, located on the east and west sides of the building, are put to use during peak times when the store is operating at or beyond capacity.

frontwa7.jpg

Shot with DSC-P200 at 2007-08-20

The entrance viewed from the southeast approach of the drop off area. On both sides of the entrance are outdoor displays. As of the time of this shot, ATV's and kayaks were displayed in a park like setting on the southeast side of the entrance while fishing boats and a mobile cabin were on display to the entrance's northwest. Also notice the mountain lodge motif of the facade defined by log siding and river rock columns.

font2wb5.jpg

Unlike the asphalt seas in front of normal big box stores, the circular shaped parking lot completely surrounding the building is tastefully broken up into visually digestible sections by pie slice shaped green spaces. As seen in this photo, a massive 20 foot tall bronze statue of two fighting bears emblazons the large green space in front of the store.

bearsou0.jpg

A shot of the building viewed from the north. As seen here, Cabela's is toped by a distinctive green standing seem roof featuring multiple gables. Capped by a copula at the building's highest point, the store is about 60 feet tall. This allows Cabela's to instantly grab one's attention from at least a 1/2 mile away in any direction.

buildinggr5.jpg

Shot with DSC-P200 at 2007-08-21

Cabela's domination of its surroundings is most apparent from the store's south parking lot entrance about 650 feet away from the building. Also this building can be clearly seen from nearly a mile away on US-23's northbound lanes. Next notice the milky white array of skylights on the ridge of the main roof. I bet the interior space is flooded with natural light during sunny days. Don't know about the rest of you. But I think natural light is a good thing.

southeastsidewj1.jpg

Even though Cabela's is an immense retail space matching the size of Meijer stores or Wal-Mart supercenters at the very least, the architectural design of the building and the layout of its grounds makes this a completely different animal from the conventional big box store. Personally, given the nature of this place, I like what I see. If big box store wish to continue building single story spaces with massive asphalt seas as we know them, it would be nice if they took cues from Cabela's esp the layout of its parking lot.

Anyway I hope these picture provide a good idea of what to expect if or when Orchard Park and its Cabela's celebrate their grand opening.

One my way back from a family trip to Ohio. I took these photos of a Cabela's located just off the US-23/US-50 interchange on the west side of Dundee, MI. Even though the Cabela's proposed for Orchard Park is somewhat smaller than this 300,000 sq. ft. behemoth, these photos of the Dundee store should serve as a good illustration of what to expect for Orchard Park.

Even though Cabela's is an immense retail space matching the size of Meijer stores or Wal-Mart supercenters at the very least, the architectural design of the building and the layout of its grounds makes this a completely different animal from the conventional big box store. Personally, given the nature of this place, I like what I see. If big box store wish to continue building single story spaces with massive asphalt seas as we know them, it would be nice if they took cues from Cabela's esp the layout of its parking lot.

Anyway I hope these picture provide a good idea of what to expect if or when Orchard Park and its Cabela's celebrate their grand opening.

I wanted to go take a look inside. But the trip home was a very rough go up to that point. So going into Cabela's was nixed. Besides hunting is not my thing. However next time the family and I head that way we do plan to have a good look inside though to see what camping supplies they have to offer.

Stay off off Wilson Ave. between 28th St. to 3 mile. This road is a plethora of street pizza.

But as someone who's seen many, many formerly live animals close up (i.e. roadkill),

A pic of the mountain is probably available on someone's website.

Here's a youtube video clip showing the interior of a Cabela's in PA. All I can say is this place is a gun toting redneck deer hunter's paradise with a little Chuck E. Cheese's thrown in. Just be warned. There's an excessive amount of stuffed Animal's and deer head trophies in this place. After seeing this video clip, I'm starting to think that IKEA would have been a more politically correct choice.

In case you hadn't noticed, Michigan is full of gun-toting rednecks. Some of them are even my close friends. :)

Anyway, if you're going to complain about dead animals not being politically correct, then we might as well shut down all the grocery stores as well. They have aisles full of tasty dead animals.

In case you hadn't noticed, Michigan is full of gun-toting rednecks. Some of them are even my close friends. :)

Anyway, if you're going to complain about dead animals not being politically correct, then we might as well shut down all the grocery stores as well. They have aisles full of tasty dead animals.

Here's a youtube video clip showing the interior of a Cabela's in PA. All I can say is this place is a gun toting redneck deer hunter's paradise with a little Chuck E. Cheese's thrown in. Just be warned. There's an excessive amount of stuffed Animal's and deer head trophies in this place. After seeing this video clip, I'm starting to think that IKEA would have been a more politically correct choice.

">

I don't hunt.

I stop at Cabela's frequently when driving up US-23 from family south of there.

Their selection of cheap camping gear is great and they have smartwool socks cheaper than anyone.

Yes it's a big box. No it's not an abomination any more than other big boxes.

As for the dead animals...if you're a vegetarian, you have every right to be offended by the giant stuffed elk and deer.

If you eat meat I don't think you've got a leg to stand on. Dead animals are dead animals...they either bother you or they don't.

I've always been glad that Grand Rapids can cater to both the urban & rural crowds. I hope you realize that millions of Americans of varying degrees of redneckishness stream through the doors of Cabela's each day and enjoy it. GR could now be in position to draw many of these people to a major attraction. Not everyone enjoys the coffeehouse, artsy lifestyle. Some people may even do both. While I don't consider myself a "gun toting redneck hunter" I enjoyed Cabela's and even purchased some camping supplies there. They have quite a selection as well as fishing/hunting/food, etc. I think it's a great get for GR.

I don't think Cabela's is going to be a Wal-Mart and smash to bits incumbents like MC Sporting Goods, Dick's Sporting Goods, and Gander Mountain. Even though Cabela's can size up to 300,000 square feet, allot of that space is taken up by the exhibits and entertainment options. Based on whats shown in the video clip, My thoughts are that 40 percent of customer space is actual sales floor while the rest is devoted to the attractions. Cabela's will no doubt be as formidable a competitor as they come but I don't its going to be the apocalypse that an Incoming Wal-Mart Supercenter unleashes.

As for the stuffed animals and the redneck comments. One, I never got into haunting. Two, Blanford Nature Center has a handful stuffed animals along with animal skins on exhibit in their visitor's center. I've seen them and touched them. It doesn't bother me. So the politically correct comment I posted may have been a little over the top. What I should have said is "I hope that at least a majority of Cabela's collection, esp. the more exotic species, expired from natural causes before being mounted." The redneck comments were made only in jest. Sorry. You'll find that I have blunt since of humor.

Archived