Orchard Park Development

OneSweetWorld

Any idea when was the last time this place was a functioning orchard? Pretty sure it was long long ago.

It's basically wasteland right now. Sometimes something really is better than nothing.

In this case, I don't think this something is going to be as bad as some here think it will. :D

However...super mega power center might be a better descriptor.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe you are correct. The orchard, i think, is actual an environmental concern from all the pesticides and DDT used on it over the years. I have no problem giving a development a hard time based on design but lets leave the moral elitism out of it. I believe a lot of people would love to have a Cabela's in Walker...perhaps millions a year. Let's wait to see the changed designs. Then have at it.

..and how much they want us Michigan taxpayers to subsidize. :whistling:

I do think a "resort-tourism" development would be good for the metro area. It's one more thing to make West Michigan and the lakeshore a destination for Midwesterners. Sure, there is a Cabela's and a water park in Hammond, IN. But Hammond? Bleck! :sick: Need I say more? Same with Cabela's in Dundee. Nothing but a big warehouse plunked in a field with not much else to do but hit Johnny Applebees.

The whole issue of subsidizing is interesting. Many projects around GR are and have been subsidized by some entity or program. Donations, Brownfield, RenZones, Historical Commissions,Tax Incentives, etc. Why should Cabelas not get in on such subsidies? Simply because it isn't urban, b/c they will make money, b/c they have a big parking lot. Why the double standard?

Nitro answered it pretty well. Especially for Brownfield Credits, which usually have to be acquired because the urban land inherently has some challenges that make it difficult to redevelop. Usually it is slightly contaminated industrial land or blighted urban areas that will convert to office, residential or mixed-use, that couldn't be done without some kind of incentives. 4 Mile and Walker Ave doesn't qualify by a long shot. Why give incentives to development on a greenfield parcel that is pretty much undeveloped land now?

I think its important to think about Cabelas in more of a regional context. Yes, its a bunch of sprawl, BUT Cabela's and its associated hotels, waterparks and other crap is likely to become a regional attraction, bringing people from (possibly) hundreds of miles. If successful, it might very well have a positive impact on the region that will be felt many places, including downtown.

I'm not sayin' I like it or that its a good idea, but I think it has to be considered in a different frame of mind than a WalMart or some shopping mall.

I think its important to think about Cabelas in more of a regional context. Yes, its a bunch of sprawl, BUT Cabela's and its associated hotels, waterparks and other crap is likely to become a regional attraction, bringing people from (possibly) hundreds of miles. If successful, it might very well have a positive impact on the region that will be felt many places, including downtown.

I'm not sayin' I like it or that its a good idea, but I think it has to be considered in a different frame of mind than a WalMart or some shopping mall.

Or we could defer to the 3 page discussion of this very issue starting on page 8 of this thread. I don't know that either side is going to change the other side's mind on this one. My guess is in some ways, those who think they will shop at Cabela's (or will get design, consulting or construction work out of it) probably are in favor of a bunch of handouts, those who won't....aren't. :dontknow:

An update on the Orchard Park project in the Business Journal, with an updated site plan:

Focused on Cabela's

632440554_0622adc1ce_o.jpg

The new plan shows quite a bit more development around Cabela's and on the East side of Bristol. The article mentions that they are having trouble securing tenants for the "lifestyle center" portion near Walker Ave, but have retailers lined up to get in around the Cabela's location closer to Bristol.

In related news, South Carolina's governor is wrestling with a bill that would give subsidies to big box sporting goods retailers:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....INESS/706260367

Speaking of unreasonable subsidies....I have family on Oak Ridge, TN.

They were asked to vote on a property tax increase to create a new 2-lane road. The two-laner would service a new Super Target and nothing else.

So basically you have a store that wants to come to town (a town with 100s of 1,000s of square feet of vacant retail) and they're asking for the city to build them a new road through a property-tax millage.

Is that completely unreasonable? Seems like it but I guess I haven't thought it through completely.

The revised renderings look pretty good given the nature of the beast. But I must say that is allot of project to be tackling. Obviosuly it would be constructed in phases. I wonder how long it will take for this to be fully built out?

An update on the Orchard Park project in the Business Journal, with an updated site plan:

Focused on Cabela's

632440554_0622adc1ce_o.jpg

The new plan shows quite a bit more development around Cabela's and on the East side of Bristol. The article mentions that they are having trouble securing tenants for the "lifestyle center" portion near Walker Ave, but have retailers lined up to get in around the Cabela's location closer to Bristol.

In related news, South Carolina's governor is wrestling with a bill that would give subsidies to big box sporting goods retailers:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....INESS/706260367

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like Walker has approved the 425 agreement with Wyoming, under which the land would transfer to Wyoming for 30 years. Walker will still control the zoning, and be responsible for maintenance and safety. Wyoming city council still has to approve the deal.

Wood TV: Walker agrees to transfer land to Wyoming for Cabela's

WZZM: Little discussion at public hearing on Walker development

I think that high end retailers want to be anchored by high-end retailers. I can't pretend to say I know the retail mix, but I think there is a big fight going on to land these high-end retailers, and if Orchard Park starts lowering their standards, the Beltline development may just have a chance at becoming the high-end Lifestyle center in town.

Joe

Macy's high end yes Younkers can be put in the same field as Sears and Penny's, Kohls. A Lord and Taylors would be a good fit. Does Walker really need all this retail? I mean Alpine has quiet abit Lake Michigan drive Standale isnt it getting to the point of saturation?

Sears and Penny's seem to middle of the road. ....Check.

Would Macy's and Yonkers be high end? Or how about Bloomingdale's?

Archived