Orchard Park Development

OneSweetWorld

To add to the list; Neiman Marcus, Gucci ,Louis Vuitton, Nordstrom, etc would also be your high-end retailers. I wouldn't want to water down the mix either if that's their goal.

Plus, as suydam stated. If they are only obtaining the standard set of retailer, Sears, JC Penny, the market already has those and it just spreads the retail dollars thinner. If it obtains some of the high end chains I believe it will do quite well and leave the other two malls to their demographics as I believe it would pull some of the shoppers who go to Chicago or Somerset to shop at the high end retailers not found here in West Michigan.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hudson's/Marshall Fields/Macy's was a series of buy outs that ended in a watered down product. Macy's is barely better than Kohl's these days. I have heard that even the State Street "Macy's" is bleeding money. People don't shop there as much as it has no identity. Rumor has it that the part of Macy's that was acquired during the mega conglomerate buyout will be sold and Marshall Field's will be restored. Should be interesting to see if it happens.

Joe

Macy's is not in the same category as Younkers or Bloomingdales. Macy's is a lot more like JCPenneys now than Hudsons was. Ask any woman.

Grand Rapids has NO high-end malls currently. Woodland and Rivertown are no different than any mall you can find in cities like Lansing, Saginaw or Kalamazoo. Rivertown is just bigger than most.

Lord and Taylors was taken over and absorbed into Macy's.

Macy's high end yes Younkers can be put in the same field as Sears and Penny's, Kohls. A Lord and Taylors would be a good fit. Does Walker really need all this retail? I mean Alpine has quiet abit Lake Michigan drive Standale isnt it getting to the point of saturation?

Macy's has been a huge disappointment - I would welcome a return to Marshall Fields. Back on topic, I wish one of the developers of these high-end lifestyle centers would break ground. My fear is that we are going to be stuck with 2 or 3 similar but watered down versions - just more of the same in different locations. Downtown should be the location of high-end retail - something along the lines of the MacArthur Center in Norfolk, Virginia.

All great stores and we all love wishful thinking but, realistically, I think that Nordstrom would be the only possibility (and that might be a stretch.) GR just isn't big enough for the likes of Neiman Marcus, Saks, Tiffany's, etc................

I think that high end retailers want to be anchored by high-end retailers. I can't pretend to say I know the retail mix, but I think there is a big fight going on to land these high-end retailers, and if Orchard Park starts lowering their standards, the Beltline development may just have a chance at becoming the high-end Lifestyle center in town.

Joe

Below is a chart of our retail sales per-capita along with metropolitan area (Woods & Poole 2006).

These two statistics are important to the selection of retail locations. These charts should give some factual perspective as to where we stand nationally.

Retail Sales Per-Capita Rank

RALEIGH-DURHAM-CARY, NC $30,963 31

MIDLAND-ODESSA, TX $30,921 32

TYLER-JACKSONVILLE, TX $30,614 33

KAN SAS CITY-OVERLAND PARK-KANSAS CITY, MO-KS $30,215 34

SANTA FE-ESPANOLA, NM $30,197 35

CHARLOTTE-GASTONIA-SALISBURY, NC-SC $30,193 36

PHILADELPHIA-CAMDEN-VINELAND PA $30,113 37

SEATTLE-TACOMA-OLYMPIA, WA $30,083 38

CHICAGO-NAPERVILLE-MICHIGAN CITY, IL-IN-WI $30,031 39

FORT WAYNE-HUNTINGTON-AUBURN, IN $29,969 40

PADUCAH-MAYFIELD, KY-IL $29,837 41

DES MOINES-NEWTON-PELLA, IA $29,780 42

GRAND RAPIDS-MUSKEGON-HOLLAND, MI $29,744 43

IDA HO FALLS-BLACKFOOT, ID $29,673 44

HOUSTON-BAYTOWN-HUNTSVILLE, TX $29,603 45

EAU CLAIRE-MENOMONIE, WI $29,598 46

GREENSBORO--WINSTON-SALEM--HIGH POINT, NC $29,571 47

LEXINGTON-FAYETTE--FRANKFORT--RICHMOND, KY $29,457 48

LOS ANGELES-LONG BEACH-RIVERSIDE, CA $29,443 49

JACKSON-YAZOO CITY, MS $29,283 50

TOLEDO-FREMONT, OH $29,216 51

WASHINGTON-BALTIMORE-NORTHRN VIRGINIA, DC-MD $29,148 52

LITTLE ROCK-NORTH LITTLE ROCK-PINE BLUFF, AR $29,113 53

CINCINNATI-MIDDLETOWN-WILMINGTON, OH-KY-IN $28,874 54

NEW ORLEANS-METAIRIE-BOGALUSA, LA $28,705 55

CSA Population in thousands

INDIANAPOLIS-ANDERSON-COLUMBUS, IN 1983.96 24

COLUMBUS-MARION-CHILLICOTHE, OH 1961.622 25

LAS VEGAS-PARADISE-PAHRUMP, NV 1815.076 26

MILWAUKEE-RACINE-WAUKESHA, WI 1722.485 27

SALT LAKE CITY-OGDEN-CLEARFIELD, UT 1619.168 28

RALEIGH-DURHAM-CARY, NC 1542.303 29

NASHVILLE-DAVIDSON--MURFREESBORO--COLUMBIA, TN 1526.263 30

GREENSBORO--WINSTON-SALEM--HIGH POINT, NC 1506.626 31

LOUISVILLE-ELIZABETHTOWN-SCOTTSBURG, KY-IN 1357.326 32

GRAND RAPIDS-MUSKEGON-HOLLAND, MI 1332.188 33

HARTFORD-WEST HARTFORD-WILLIMANTIC, CT 1312.555 34

OKLA HOMA CITY-SHAWNEE, OK 1239.797 35

BUFFALO-NIAGARA-CATTARAUGUS, NY 1233.076 36

GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG-ANDERSON, SC 1198.641 37

BIRMINGHAM-HOOVER-CULLMAN, AL 1186.605 38

ALBANY-SCHENECTADY-AMSTERDAM, NY 1152.093 39

ROCHESTER-BATAVIA-SENECA FALLS, NY 1136.986 40

DAYTON-SPRINGFIELD-GREENVILLE, OH 1081.688 41

FRESNO-MADERA, CA 1038.696 42

NEW ORLEANS-METAIRIE-BOGALUSA, LA 1030.641 43

According to that list GR in terms of per capita spending is only $400 away from Philly, Chicago & Seattle; all I would say have high end retail. Im assuming then its pure density that's a cause for the lack of higher end retail. We spending the $$$ here in WM but we just don't have enough people doing it to creat the necessary mass for the high end retail that the other cities possess.

Something like this lifestyle center is going have a market reach of 30 or so miles. So for Orchard Park, Muskegon and Holland needs to be included in the mix. Cabella's on the other hand is going to have an even farther market reach. So for it we need to throw in Kalamazoo, Benton Harbor, Battle Creek, Mt. Pleasant, Big Rapids, and Cadillac. From what I understand of this, Orchard Park will reach much farther out than Woodland and Rivertown Crossings for its customer base.

According to that list GR in terms of per capita spending is only $400 away from Philly, Chicago & Seattle; all I would say have high end retail. Im assuming then its pure density that's a cause for the lack of higher end retail. We spending the $$$ here in WM but we just don't have enough people doing it to creat the necessary mass for the high end retail that the other cities possess.

All great stores and we all love wishful thinking but, realistically, I think that Nordstrom would be the only possibility (and that might be a stretch.) GR just isn't big enough for the likes of Neiman Marcus, Saks, Tiffany's, etc................

If Centerpointe were smart, they'd give the farm to turn the Rack store into a real Nordstrom's and parlay their lifestyle center into something that becomes a 1-2 punch with Woodland.

1) Nordstrom's has opened in a lot of lifestyle centers

2) The surrounding area with Forest Hills and EGR definitely has the best median income in the area and

3) I know (from a reliable source) that GR is on Nordstrom's "short range" radar. It all comes down to timing and location, location, location.

I'd be surprised to see a Nordstroms out in Walker, but I've been wrong before (a lot of times) ;).

Joe

Archived