Orchard Park Development

OneSweetWorld

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cabela's Plan Advances: From GR Press

"Another step toward landing a Cabela's store at Int. 96 and Walker Avenue NW was taken Monday when the Wyoming City Council added to its Brownfield plan the proposed Orchard Park complex"

"The development still needs site-plan approval before a bond could be issued next year."

Full Article

I'm glad this project is moving forward. It will definitely help the Grand Rapids metro area.

• 1 month later...

The Business Journal has a new site plan of this project. Cabela's is at the lower right (sorry for the poor quality), top is North, the street at the top of the picture is the new one that would run down the middle of the property East to West, I-96 is the road at the very bottom barely visible:

2212041095_ab18a64d7b.jpg

They are scheduled to go back before the Walker Planning Commission Feb. 6th and then hope to break ground this summer (according to developers).

I hope people aren't expecting a Cabela's like the one in Dundee. From what I've heard its not going to be anywhere near that size. I've heard it isn't going to be much bigger than the Dick Sporting Goods at Rivertown...just to put things in perspective.

Yeah, the article says about 130,000 sf, compared to Dundee's 225,000 sf. Here is how the Cabela's Corner of the development would line up. Interestingly, it appears they have moved the entire "village" concept to this corner of the property and scaled it down, with rumored waterpark resort going in across Bristol. I wonder what they plan is for the Northwest portion of the development now?

Here is the old plan:

2212093101_4ca451b62a_o.jpg

And how the new plan fits in (shuunk):

2212094887_edc1093c31_o.jpg

I'm pretty sure Rivertown is also having a big influence. I know they've been working on trying to lure some higher end tenants due to some changes which will occur, though I'm not at liberty to say. I do know that there are a lot of stores looking to get out of Woodland.

Changes in demographics and shopping habits. Plus, Woodland is no longer the only show in town on the east side....especially if Orchard Hills gets developed...it no longer is the destination it once was. Rivertown is the center of the retail universe right now.

I also think image plays a big role as well. Woodland has had some well publicized safety issues recently and I think it is preventing some people from going there unless they absolutely have to. Now...I've never felt in danger when I've been there but as they say, perception is reality.

I was in fear once at Woodland, for me and my family. I don't know if I posted this before, but we were in Macy's on a Saturday evening and all of a sudden we hear a lot of yelling and a group of about 30 teens slammed through Macy's, knocking over racks, with several of the teens swinging and punching each other as they went. My guess is a brawl erupted in the mall and some of the group was trying to escape, and the other side was chasing them. We NEVER go to the mall on weekend evenings anymore. It's just not worth it, and your view of the world and averting danger changes a lot when you have small children (like an animal instinct or something). But I do take my kids downtown quite a bit and go skating on weekends at RPC, and I never feel in danger there.

I was in fear once at Woodland, for me and my family. I don't know if I posted this before, but we were in Macy's on a Saturday evening and all of a sudden we hear a lot of yelling and a group of about 30 teens slammed through Macy's, knocking over racks, with several of the teens swinging and punching each other as they went. My guess is a brawl erupted in the mall and some of the group was trying to escape, and the other side was chasing them. It was such a wild malaise that I was just holding my breath waiting for a gunshot to go off. We NEVER go to the mall on weekend evenings anymore. It's just not worth it, and your view of the world and averting danger changes a lot when you have small children (like an animal instinct or something). But I do take my kids downtown quite a bit and go skating on weekends at RPC, and I never feel in danger there.

That sounds insane that there was such a huge brawl there! I hear all the time that I will feel differently once I have kids, and I probably came across sounding like a jerk in my last post. It just gets to me that a perception of crime scares so many people away. My mother thinks I live in a bad neighborhood since it's kinda gritty, but I love where I live. Does that mean I go for walks alone at 2am, or leave my door unlocked? No, but I'm not going to fear something that might happen.

Well I guess I'm way off topic anyway. As for Orchard Park, each plan revision makes this thing look less and less like a lifestyle center.

• 2 weeks later...

This might be a problem:

In a news release, Dennis Highby, president and chief executive officer of the Sidney, Neb.-based outdoor outfitter, said the company would delay its retail store expansion and give priority to improving the profitability of its existing operations.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...INESS/802010492

The city of Greenwood is in a bind - all construction came to halt last month.

This might be a problem:

In a news release, Dennis Highby, president and chief executive officer of the Sidney, Neb.-based outdoor outfitter, said the company would delay its retail store expansion and give priority to improving the profitability of its existing operations.

This might be a problem:

Archived