StarMetro

Florida

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Riderhsip #s

Not at the level we want, but good response.

113 Monday

117 Tuesday

We are getting a flood of calls and emails.

Most want to see service up Thomasville Rd to get to the CCOC. Look for that next.

Wanna see the future of StarMetro and Tallahassee transit services.

Check out www.cumtd.com

Thanks for the pointer NS. It's a valid comparison. Champaign/Urbana is in many ways, very simlilar to TLH. Both are blue metros in red regions, both have lots of public employees, and both bus systems have legacies as private companies with the various issues which that engenders.

There are so many good things about the CU system that I don't know where to start. The best thing is how the MTD thinks intermodaly. The main terminal of the system is the old Illinois Centeral depot in downtown Champaign. It's also the depot for Amtrak, Greyhound, a regional and two local bus lines. There is bike parking at the depot and racks on the buses. The system coordinates it's schedules with the bus system of nearby Danville with an intercity that connects the two metros. We have a good start on this with our main terminal being across from the Greyhound station, but don't have any connections with the Big Bend Transit, the Mexican bus company or the several jitneys that come in from places like Coon Bottom, Miccosukee, etc.

Another wonderful feature of the CU system is the 27 bus that goes from the Illini Union (where I usually stay in CU on business trips) to and from the airport.

Finally the trip finder feature of the site is useful and unusual for a small metro liike CU. Larger cities worldwide have similar systems. A real good model is the 511.0rg web site that covers all transportatoin (rail, bus, metro, tram, highway, bike/ped, etc.) in the San Francisco Bay area. It's a one-stop site that has the same sort of functionality as the CU site but which works across modes and vendors.

I'm so pleased with the new management of the bus system and warn you that people are going to keep expecting good things from you.

GotS

Ha ha

Ya'll got some dirty minds.

Thanks for the pointer NS. It's a valid comparison. Champaign/Urbana is in many ways, very simlilar to TLH. Both are blue metros in red regions, both have lots of public employees, and both bus systems have legacies as private companies with the various issues which that engenders.

There are so many good things about the CU system that I don't know where to start. The best thing is how the MTD thinks intermodaly. The main terminal of the system is the old Illinois Centeral depot in downtown Champaign. It's also the depot for Amtrak, Greyhound, a regional and two local bus lines. There is bike parking at the depot and racks on the buses. The system coordinates it's schedules with the bus system of nearby Danville with an intercity that connects the two metros. We have a good start on this with our main terminal being across from the Greyhound station, but don't have any connections with the Big Bend Transit, the Mexican bus company or the several jitneys that come in from places like Coon Bottom, Miccosukee, etc.

Another wonderful feature of the CU system is the 27 bus that goes from the Illini Union (where I usually stay in CU on business trips) to and from the airport.

Finally the trip finder feature of the site is useful and unusual for a small metro liike CU. Larger cities worldwide have similar systems. A real good model is the 511.0rg web site that covers all transportatoin (rail, bus, metro, tram, highway, bike/ped, etc.) in the San Francisco Bay area. It's a one-stop site that has the same sort of functionality as the CU site but which works across modes and vendors.

I'm so pleased with the new management of the bus system and warn you that people are going to keep expecting good things from you.

GotS

Thanks for the insight. We are going to try and get some more information to compare and show others what TLH can be. As you said, we are not that different.

• 3 weeks later...

So what's the word from that new whoopie doo route from Sawthwood to downtown? Are the buses packed with commuters? Is the wifi still working? I'm hoping that this is a success and that new similar services will be added to Killearn. How about a special Golden Eagle express?

Remember that this is bike/walk/carpool to work week. If you sign up quick you get a free tshirt and a party tomorrow and Friday at the capital.

I am ghost. Ride me.

LOL. Gas prices should be helping... don't the busses burn gas!? LOL. I understand what you mean. I think the thing that probably bothers most, and this is coming from someone who went against my norm of driving the day StarMetro started this 80X service, is the central terminal Downtown and the absence of the Trolley. Central terminal is filthy, filthy, filthy. Have you seen the ceiling over there? And all of the gum stuck to the ground is sickning. I tried not to touch anything when I was there, I didn't even want a drink out of the vending machines. And I limited my breathing because the air was not as fresh and I'm accustomed.

Also some of the drivers have yet to buy into the new StarMetro image with their attitudes. Same old TalTran attitude I've seen in many cases, especially riding on campus. There should be a report line we can call to evaluate our experience with certain drivers.

LOL. Gas prices should be helping... don't the busses burn gas!? LOL. I understand what you mean. I think the thing that probably bothers most, and this is coming from someone who went against my norm of driving the day StarMetro started this 80X service, is the central terminal Downtown and the absence of the Trolley. Central terminal is filthy, filthy, filthy. Have you seen the ceiling over there? And all of the gum stuck to the ground is sickning. I tried not to touch anything when I was there, I didn't even want a drink out of the vending machines. And I limited my breathing because the air was not as fresh and I'm accustomed.

Also some of the drivers have yet to buy into the new StarMetro image with their attitudes. Same old TalTran attitude I've seen in many cases, especially riding on campus. There should be a report line we can call to evaluate our experience with certain drivers.

Between you, me and every reading this..... I want to level CK Steele. Rebuild a better facility that is more dynamic and provides indoor and outdoor amenities. I hate the facility. the Transit Center should be a downtown icon.

I have two goals. Improve the routes (timing, design, etc.) and build better facilities.

Wait until after the election and you'll see prices shoot up quickly.

If that is true, it wont start happening until May-June, when the travel season start again. This problem doesnt originate in Washington. I think we will see a barrel of crude settle somewhere around $55-57 before it starts to rebound.

He's right! That is my theory every since Bush has come to office. Prices have risen in non election periods, and have always seemed to calm near an election day.

He may be right in your opinion, but he is not right. The only real control government has over gas prices, is the federal/state/local taxes tacked on to them. If Bush could control this, as you state he can, then why wouldnt he keep them low throughout the term, to keep a better approval rating? Because he cant.

Look abroad my friend...there is where you will find the answers to these economics.

Read closely. I don't think you'll see anywhere in my comment saying Bush controls the gas prices. But the trends have favored the republican party since he was elected, maybe party loyalisty have something to do with it. Everyone knows by now the forces that control the rate at which gas prices rise and fall. But isn't it funny how those forces that be are all on vacation right now?

Read closely. I don't think you'll see anywhere in my comment saying Bush controls the gas prices. But the trends have favored the republican party since he was elected, maybe party loyalisty have something to do with it. Everyone knows by now the forces that control the rate at which gas prices rise and fall. But isn't it funny how those forces that be are all on vacation right now?

Well, no, you didnt say it in as many words, but I knew what you were implying. What trends favoring the republicans are you talking about? Yes, everyone knows the forces that control gas prices, and it has nothing to do with Washington DC. I know the media would have you believe that the prices are an election year gimmick, but, consider the source.

Between you, me and every reading this..... I want to level CK Steele. Rebuild a better facility that is more dynamic and provides indoor and outdoor amenities. I hate the facility. the Transit Center should be a downtown icon.

I have two goals. Improve the routes (timing, design, etc.) and build better facilities.

Just be sure and do nothing to damage the statue of Revernd Steele. He is an important figure in our history and deserves the honor.

n032470.jpg

I won't let that missing "L" on the bottom line bother me. He was truly a hero for people of Color in this city. I respect him for that. I believe he also pastored my Church, long before I was born.

I think that error came from the Western Union operator who took the telegram and not Rev. Steele. I thought that the telegram was especially salient to this topic because, after all, it's about the bus system. The private system that is mentioned in the note eventually was purchased by the city with the requirement that the owners son run it as long as he was alive and willing to take the job. I believe he stayed on until just a few years ago. His leaving the system was what allowed it grow from being a transportation service to get the domestic workers from Frenchtown to the wealthy 'hoods into what's approaching a real transit system.

Congrats to New Star and everyone one else who is making our transit system both rock and roll.

Once you get that route to Killearn established, let's start talking about a route from downtown -> the airport with stops at Alumni Village and the Mag Lab. You guys could start with seasonal service during times when there are a lot of students flying in and out, and perhaps during session. If someone is going from the airport to the capital for a day of meetings, it's silly to rent (and have to find a parking place for) a car. A reliable bus from the airport makes much more sense (especially with wifi).

If that is true, it wont start happening until May-June, when the travel season start again. This problem doesnt originate in Washington. I think we will see a barrel of crude settle somewhere around $55-57 before it starts to rebound.

It's just a guess on my part fueled (heehee) by my experience. At my advanced age, you eventually began to see patterns and this is one I've noticed. However, I'm just an old ignorant ghost and no doubt a bit befuddled. I'd like to know who does set the price of crude or whatever it is that allows our gasoline prices to be so much lower than europe and flucuate as much as a dollar in a very few weeks. I certainly don't think that the president is setting the price. Give me a little more credit than that. But somebody is setting the price. So my question remains. Who?

My car runs on low emmission ectoplasm.

It's just a guess on my part fueled (heehee) by my experience. At my advanced age, you eventually began to see patterns and this is one I've noticed. However, I'm just an old ignorant ghost and no doubt a bit befuddled. I'd like to know who does set the price of crude or whatever it is that allows our gasoline prices to be so much lower than europe and flucuate as much as a dollar in a very few weeks. I certainly don't think that the president is setting the price. Give me a little more credit than that. But somebody is setting the price. So my question remains. Who?

My car runs on low emmission ectoplasm.

Speculators on Wall St, OPEC, and you do. Now, I certainly dont think its perfect supply and demand economics, but thats basically it.

If it makes you feel any better (and it certainly has made me) those speculators who rallied crude up, are getting taken to the cleaners now...beotchs.

Speculators on Wall St, OPEC, and you do. Now, I certainly dont think its perfect supply and demand economics, but thats basically it.

If it makes you feel any better (and it certainly has made me) those speculators who rallied crude up, are getting taken to the cleaners now...beotchs.

So the suppliers don't set their own prices? I find that difficult to believe; especially with the very small club of suppliers (what's it called, OPEC?) and the very strong demand for their product.

So the suppliers don't set their own prices? I find that difficult to believe; especially with the very small club of suppliers (what's it called, OPEC?) and the very strong demand for their product.

Sure. The suppliers have to somewhat keep their prices in check. They cant take the risk of losing their biggest customer. If the US didnt buy oil from OPEC for one day, it would hurt the US temporarily, but it would literally cripple the oil producing countries. Neither side wants to call the others bluff.

Archived