StarMetro

Florida

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are certainly correct because the new design will allow more ventilation. I honestly think that perhaps the city should plant more trees near those things to block the sunlight and provide shade. Also, if StarMetro wants to be a success then that local govenments need to provide shading along the walkways also. I'm sure it can be done without providing hazardous driving conditions because that Florida sun in the summertime is nothing to sneeze at.

• 2 weeks later...

Newstar,

Is there a timeline for when the improvements to the downtown Terminal will begin. Are there any documents that we can use as references here on UrbanPlanet for StarMetro's pending improvements.

Also, I've noticed there are 5 of those FSU covered brand new buses. Were there always 5 or are there a couple of new ones?

And, I always ask this. How is 80X? Is it catching on?

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this in Google Labs today, and I hear that StarMetro may be able to integrate their routes and timetables into the system.

Google Transit Example from Duluth MN

It is incredibly cool, in my opinion, and a great combination of maps and routes in a wonderfully useful format.

Do you think this would help change any opinions about transit amongst those in town who do not ride (because they don't have to)?

Cool idea. I'd sure do it if I felt I could get to work and home in decent time. I'd love it if I had an option similar to 80x for my needs, unfortunately Southwood doesn't often make my agenda. But I'm really looking at ways to save on Gasoline and StarMetro is definately on my list.

• 2 months later...

The GPS upgrades will be nice. I use StarMetro's FSU buses alot since I commute and park near the Stadium mostly.

BTW, the 80X route is served by the funny buses and they are nice. I used that route for a roundtrip to FSU from Southwood (I park and ride from there) twice a week in the Spring and it worked well....but they need to improve bus/parking facilities in Southwood and the transfer plaza needs to have buses that connect better. I used to get stuck there during the bus lunch break and ended up having to walk down Tennessee Street to get to class on time.

At last, FSU has drastically revamped its campus routes

http://parking.fsu.edu/map.htm

It seems they're finally making a decent effort to get more students out of their cars. I'm extremely happy that they're doing this. Not only are they serving these large student complexes, they also serve some businesses and establishments that a lot of students frequent.

There's talk of bringing it back. I actually rode this a lot b/c of where I live. However when session was not in, it wasn't used that much. Maybe they'll change the route a little from last time and that may increase ridership?

• 4 weeks later...

I honestly don't think this community is ready for it. We need to figure out if the park and ride projects will work first. If we see success from this, then perhaps we should look to bring some sort of light rail into the city. As for a personal preference, I believe the best, and most obvious route to pursue first would be the old St. Marks trail from the coast to Tallahassee. I think the traffic into town daily along those narrow roads could be greatly reduced by reviving the train route that runs parallel to them. That's also a way of thinking regionally.

As for a personal preference, I believe the best, and most obvious route to pursue first would be the old St. Marks trail from the coast to Tallahassee. I think the traffic into town daily along those narrow roads could be greatly reduced by reviving the train route that runs parallel to them. That's also a way of thinking regionally.

Some good news on the Seminole Express routes: They consistently are running full.

Some bad news on the Seminole Express routes: They consistently are running tardy.

It is a big issue, which will likely require more buses and adjusting the schedule, but FSU & StarMetro are working on it. A quick tweak mentioned by the Director of FSU Parking & Transportation Services (she rode on my bus and spoke to the full bus on the issue...sounded like British Parliament whenever she asked for a straw poll on an issue) that may be made is to have the Renegade skip the Call St. Parking Garage all-together, but as a regular user of that garage I hope they don't do it. However, having the buses go off-campus and into the neighborhoods to the west where most students live has really helped the parking situation along with the new garages opening up. Last year I would have to arrive an hour to 90 minutes early to get a spot, I can now arrive 30 minutes before a class to get parking and make it to class on-time.

I badgered my Law School nephew to use the Garnet route a week ago. He lives in a house off of High, but no route goes to the Law School or Civic Center, just to Wescott. No big deal he said, the three blks would be fine w/him. Well he left his home way early for the bus, but unfortunately no bus came on the Garnet route for 35 minutes that day. He had to walk back home and drive. He said he'd try again later in the school year. I think w/him the service has got one more shot and if it all goes smoothly, then he'd become a regular rider. I am sure there a lot of other students in his situation as a potential customer, so FSU/StarMetro needs to the timing thing down pat.

You're right Poonther. I'm also one of those people who has to have it work right the first time or there may not be a second chance. Now with my local bus riding experiences, I've never really seen myself using them regularly because I'm not the type of person yet who can operate on routine. Bus ridership requires this. If they were more frequent on the routes they run, I might then consider it. I've told a few friends that I may try to ride the bus to work in the fall and winter months if all goes well. I'd like to try to save a little gas money and put as few miles on my tires as possible (those Michelin's are expensive to replace).

I've been hearing the StarMetro commercials on the radio in the morning, "It's much easier to multi-task when you're not driving....." I think that's just great that we're allowing the system to market itself now. I'm curious to know if they're turning a profit these days? Looking at the increased ridership, the popular advertising, you'd think they are.

Is NewStar still around?

Archived