StarMetro

Florida

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what!?!....

I'm going to get you back. Occasionally I enjoy grilled, and baked too! :D

I'll get some pictures today of the FSU buses.

you're going to take some pics of grilled/baked/fried asians??!?! i think i have to call in the ACLU! :P

if i lived in Southie and worked downtown, i'd pay $1.25 and leave the car at home... what we really need is light rail. :D

you're going to take some pics of grilled/baked/fried asians??!?! i think i have to call in the ACLU! :P

if i lived in Southie and worked downtown, i'd pay $1.25 and leave the car at home... what we really need is light rail. :D

In the regional transportation plan, there's a study of running light rail from Monticello to Quincy using the CSX ROW. I believe that the study is planned for 2020 but I've been wrong before. It will be interesting to see if we can talk the SUV warriors of Soutwood out of their cars. I can hear the excuses now... "But I have to run errands, pick up the laundry/kids/case of imported beer/get a perm/take the pet to the vet/get groceries/etc."

Oh yeah, and on behalf of my Asian sisters, I'm slightly offended.

Why are you offended. Well all love Asians! One of my mother's is Asian.

As far as those living in Southwood making excuses, there really are none. If you consider the way that community is designed, they have their Grocery Store, Day Cares, Schools, Hair and Nail Shops, YMCA, restaurants, and banks right there LITERALLY within walking or biking distance from everything.

The Bus Option should be popular with a new bus arriving every 30 minutes.

Look for the City Commission tonight. we are giving a presentation

There will also be a community kick-off Saturday from 10-1 for the SouthWood service. We will give away some prizes and offer free service between 11 and 1 to downtwon.

Free food too.

I'll be around.

Look for the City Commission tonight. we are giving a presentation

There will also be a community kick-off Saturday from 10-1 for the SouthWood service. We will give away some prizes and offer free service between 11 and 1 to downtwon.

Free food too.

I'll be around.

NewStar,

I live downtown but work off Apalachee Pkwy near the Koger Center. What's the best route to take if I wanted to use the bus?

NewStar,

I live downtown but work off Apalachee Pkwy near the Koger Center. What's the best route to take if I wanted to use the bus?

Take Route 25, 26 or the Southwood Express (Route 80X)

Route 25 map: http://www.talgov.com/starmetro/routes/rt25.cfm

Route 26 map: http://www.talgov.com/starmetro/routes/rt26.cfm

Southwood Express: http://www.talgov.com/starmetro/routes/rt80x.cfm

AiT - I would think that the new 80X route (starting on Monday) would be your best bet. The others make several stops between Koger and DT, and 80X is direct. Plus it runs more often than the 25 and 26.

Speaking of schedules and maps, kudo's for the rebuilt bus shelters that are going up but what about posting the system map, route map, and especially the schedule for the bus that hit's that stop, right there in the shelter? It sure would make it easier for the bus riding public.

80X

This morning I had to drop my car off at the Infinit dealership for some recall work. Meanwhile they informed me my car would be ready sometime this afternoon and I decided to take the StarMetro home. I stood out at the bus stop across from the dealership on CCNE for almost 30-45 minutes before the first bus arrived. It was 7:30am when I arrived at the Infiniti and I understand the bus doesn't start running in that area until about 8:10.

On the first bus to the main terminal I took the time to just catch a view of the traffic on the roads. Tallahassee has quite a heavy load during morning peak hours. I thought the traffic near the campuses was bad, but it's nothing compared to what I experienced on Capital Circle NE this morning.

I arrived at the main terminal when I decided I would kill some time and I remembered the new 80x service started today. I hurried to catch the bus that was just about to depart and on it there was one other passenger. A middle aged white man, wearing a Blue Sports coat, and a straw hat. He and I were the only passengers all the way to Southwood. As advertised, the bus only stopped at the Kroger Center and about 4 stops within Southwood. Inside Southwood about 6 more passengers hopped on to make the trip back toward downtown. In my opinion, not bad for an inagural trip, and I've never been on a bus that moved so fast! I was actually holding onto the seat, which by the way was plushy and comfortable.

I enjoyed it and I say to those living in Southwood, you are very, very, very fortunate to have this express shuttle into the downtown.

I took the shuttle to and from work today. It is a short walk on both ends, and the convenience is great.

There was some other riders on each of my trips, and I was able to get some work done and read the paper on the way.

TJ - did you ride the Gillig or the smaller shuttle? If you hit the 8:40 departure, it was probably the small one, since I took the 8:40 from Town Center in, and it was on the Gillig. It was roomy, cool, relatively quiet, and smooth. They will be moving the Gillig to FSU in a few weeks when the upholstery is ready on the other shuttle.

I was a little disappointed that the WiFi was not live yet, but luckily I can get online through my phone. Word is that the service will be faster with new equipment that will be out in 6 weeks or so, which forced a delay in implementation while waiting for that equipment.

Definitely a nice way to ride to work. Maybe NewStar can share some ridership numbers later...

I rode the "Space Ship" which departed from Steele Plaza at 8:30am yesterday. It was truly comfortable. I saw the Gillig coming out of Kroger on the way to Southwood as the Spaceship crossed Old St. Augustine. That must have been your bus. I was impressed with the express travel, and the Gilligs on campus are great also. I've heard nothing but positive comments from other students who have gotten on the bus with me. :thumbsup:

I rode the "Space Ship" which departed from Steele Plaza at 8:30am yesterday. It was truly comfortable. I saw the Gillig coming out of Kroger on the way to Southwood as the Spaceship crossed Old St. Augustine. That must have been your bus. I was impressed with the express travel, and the Gilligs on campus are great also. I've heard nothing but positive comments from other students who have gotten on the bus with me. :thumbsup:

I'm going to be shocking and say that I would prefer the Orion VII (HEV/CNG) over the new Gilligs on campus. While I do like how they have seats over the wheel well and the livery, the bus isnt built for the campus and the high crush loads. I still think that articulated buses from New Flyer or NABI would work better for the campus crush loads. There is also something about the physical body of the bus that doesnt appeal to me. I would even prefer the some of the older Gilligs around town over this Also, the bus bunching over the limit this year. I don't know how but maybe some buses should skip stops if there is a second/third bus behind it and giving warning to passengers.

BTW: Did FSU take out the Call St and Stadium Dr Tomahawk stop or was that a StarMetro decision? They still have it listed as a stop in the guides and on campus maps.

The worst of the half-wraps in my opinion are the RTS ones. Those need to be fully wrapped or just regular ads.

I took the shuttle to and from work today. It is a short walk on both ends, and the convenience is great.

There was some other riders on each of my trips, and I was able to get some work done and read the paper on the way.

TJ - did you ride the Gillig or the smaller shuttle? If you hit the 8:40 departure, it was probably the small one, since I took the 8:40 from Town Center in, and it was on the Gillig. It was roomy, cool, relatively quiet, and smooth. They will be moving the Gillig to FSU in a few weeks when the upholstery is ready on the other shuttle.

I was a little disappointed that the WiFi was not live yet, but luckily I can get online through my phone. Word is that the service will be faster with new equipment that will be out in 6 weeks or so, which forced a delay in implementation while waiting for that equipment.

Definitely a nice way to ride to work. Maybe NewStar can share some ridership numbers later...

Riderhsip #s

Not at the level we want, but good response.

113 Monday

117 Tuesday

We are getting a flood of calls and emails.

Most want to see service up Thomasville Rd to get to the CCOC. Look for that next.

Wanna see the future of StarMetro and Tallahassee transit services.

Check out www.cumtd.com

:rofl: Too funny I thought the same thing, but since you brought it up, you'll have to be the one to explain it to our pal TJ. :shok:

Actually I was kind of serious. My daughter was in the room, so I had to reread the post to make sure everything was legit. Seriously, someone should have clued in the purchaser of said website, and welcomed them to the 21st century.

Archived