StarMetro

Florida

Hey NewStar I think the letter writer made some great points. While I'm cool w/the name change and the re-design of the logo/buses, efficiency is the most important variable to get folks out of their cars. As a downtown dweller, I too would give up my car if the bus provided fast efficient ways to get me from A to B in the inner core of the city.

I'm most familiar w/the bus system in SF, CA. I rode it several times a day while I was there for the month. I enjoyed NOT having to go through a central terminal every time I wanted to go somewhere like we have to do here in Tally. The SF buses where not that clean and the logo and designs where just about as boring as they could be. However the buses were packed. Of course one reason is b/c SF has America's second highest level of density after NYC and I'm sure that helps. But the inner core of Tally is much more dense in population than most people think, so there is a market out there for sure for your buses.

Here's to hoping to see good things happen w/StarMetro in the future...and hopefully the near future. :)

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey NewStar I think the letter writer made some great points. While I'm cool w/the name change and the re-design of the logo/buses, efficiency is the most important variable to get folks out of their cars. As a downtown dweller, I too would give up my car if the bus provided fast efficient ways to get me from A to B in the inner core of the city.

I'm most familiar w/the bus system in SF, CA. I rode it several times a day while I was there for the month. I enjoyed NOT having to go through a central terminal every time I wanted to go somewhere like we have to do here in Tally. The SF buses where not that clean and the logo and designs where just about as boring as they could be. However the buses were packed. Of course one reason is b/c SF has America's second highest level of density after NYC and I'm sure that helps. But the inner core of Tally is much more dense in population than most people think, so there is a market out there for sure for your buses.

Here's to hoping to see good things happen w/StarMetro in the future...and hopefully the near future. :)

Funny thing is, I have a strong feeling I know who wrote that letter. Someone with the initials CM, one of the DURPies I know. :P

Newstar - can you share a bit on the process for getting route changes approved through the layers of bureaucracy?

We do route changes every four months.

We take internal and external route change suggestions continuously, but it depends on when they are submitted to impact when (and if) they get implemented.

Major route changes over 25% take a very long time because they go before the City Commission and require extensive justification.

Minor route changes are first analyzed for ridership and financial impacts. Most small changes have very little of both. Then they are analyzed through driver committees, our Transit Advisory Committee and through Community Listening Sessions. Based on feedback we determine if the change should occur. It then gets into the rideguide and ready for implementation for the start of the next set of four months.

I hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

We have some new drawings of the 29' buses with the StarMetro design on them.

StarMetro will be presenting the concept of Transit Friendly Streets to the City Commission meeting on the 24th. We are proposing a pilot project of a dedicated bus only lane........My vote is for Tenn. from West of Capital Circle to the new Fallschase.

When you say dedicated bus lanes, do you mean they add a new lane for buses or do you mean they take away one we already have? Also do you mean west of Capital Circle NW to Fallschase or do you just mean west of Capital Circle NE to F'chase? Curious minds want to know. :)

The presentation got put off. we will recommend exploring several options before we actually say what area we would want to start this idea.

We would look at taking a lane away from traffic for a dedicated bus lane. There are various options and, if the City Commission approves, we will begin to explore what is possible.

Of course I can try to post a sneak peek when we start to get some concepts together.

I was wondering how come the bus stop signs on Tenn. St past Ocala Rd. was replaced with the intercity bus signs, like the one used on Capital Circle Northeast? I was also wonderimg of route 21 and 33 will return to Mission Rd/White Dr in the near future? Seems like Mission Rd will be in constant construction for the foreseeable future.

• 4 weeks later...

I was on the Route 4 yesterday and I realized...........the part of the new logo that's over the windows? That's not that see-through vinyl. It just hit me yesterday! I'm kind of disappointed about that, but it's not that bad.

Are the 06 buses on the road yet? I wait in anticipation to see them :D

jpl, I'd figure if anyone would know about the new buses on the road it would be you... and there's NewStar who could shed some light on this. I'm curious to know if the small little buses are running the Southwood route as previously stated.

The small busses will be running the SW route unless something has changed since the presentation they did a few weeks ago here. They had one for 'inspection' at that meeting, and discussed its use on the route.

The small busses will be running the SW route unless something has changed since the presentation they did a few weeks ago here. They had one for 'inspection' at that meeting, and discussed its use on the route.

We are still on schedule to start-up in August.

We will have those new shorter buses ready at that point as well.

I just got an email today stating everything is on track.

As for the dedicated bus lane, the presentation has been moved to the 12th of July.

Once we make that presentation we can get some work done on which corridor and how things will be changed.

NewStar,

Those new buses you've told us about... did you say we ordered those or are planning to order those. If we've ordered them, how long until they arrive and hit the streets?

They are ordered.

We should see them unveiled at the new SouthWood service. Some of them will go on the FSU campus service. We should have them within a month.

They are ordered.

We should see them unveiled at the new SouthWood service. Some of them will go on the FSU campus service. We should have them within a month.

Those small 30 foot shuttle buses purchased from Advanced Bus Industries are running around town; I've seen a few of them. But the weird thing is.......they don't appear to have any marquees in front or on the sides? How the heck are you supposed to know which route the bus is running?

Cool. I can't wait to see them.

Today I saw one of our new buses with some kiddy-looking paint on it and I thought it was kinda tacky... then I began to feel guilty because I figure it was probably done by some children. How long will that bus be riding around looking like that? I believe it was a celebrate america bus.

Cool. I can't wait to see them.

Today I saw one of our new buses with some kiddy-looking paint on it and I thought it was kinda tacky... then I began to feel guilty because I figure it was probably done by some children. How long will that bus be riding around looking like that? I believe it was a celebrate america bus.

Oh that bus, it's 92-something, yeah that thing is tacky, that bus is 14 years old so I don't think we'll be seeing it much longer, also coupled with the fact that a lot of the 92 buses are already gone.

I see that Jefferson St between Pensacola St and and Woodward Av is about to reopen for thur traffic. Will that me that the 3, 15, 28 and campus routes will return to their orginal route?

Also looks like the 21 reroute will last for the rest of the summer and possible fall.

I'm going to miss those RTS's. NYC and Tallahassee have started a slow phase-out of the RTS with the older ones going first.

Archived