Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

Padman, I'm still chuckling over your chopped liver steak at Ruth's Criss -- though at the price you had to pay, I'm sure it was no laughing matter at the time.

I still want to know about the attractive steak-house on Granby near Waterside. I peaked in at lunch one day and it looked really first class.

I've heard that there are excellent sea food restaurants along the shores of Hampton Roads.

There's some really fine dining in the Williamsburg area.

Try COMFORT in Portsmouth, which is the brand new (and only) expansion of the very popular down-home food place of the same name in Richmond's Gallery district.

I find it hard to believe that the 7-Cities region is bereft of great cuisine.

It's pretty funny that you would choose to cite an expert impartial source to condemn dining in HR, and not even have a clue that they don't even know where HR's is.

These guys are in the business of making money -- if they thought there was money to be made from surveying restaurants in HR, then they would do it. They found Frankfurt, they could find HR.

They know where it is -- they made a business decision there wasn't enough money to be made from including it in their survey. They found Austin, and it is smaller than HR (and farther away from NY, where they are located).

When your head is in the sand, the outlook never changes.

I still want to know about the attractive steak-house on Granby near Waterside. I peaked in at lunch one day and it looked really first class.

I think you are talking about Byrd & Baldwin, which is actually on Brooke, between Granby and Boush (Waterside after it turns north). Owned by the 456 Fish folks, (Barbara Zoby and Sture Sigfred). Right next to the Union Mission. Beautiful inside -- good food. Excellent steaks, and a way to keep money in the economy instead of giving it to out of town chains. It and Zoe's are the two best on this side. Haven't been to Schlesinger's Chop House in NN.

Ok guys, i've left the conversation largely intact. I deleted only those posts which specifically violate our rules or those posts that are likely to foment discourse that would. This is quite a vigorous and interesting debate and there is nothing wrong in that. Just make sure you guys steer clear of name calling and personal attacks. I've had a talk with the specific parties I'm referring too and I think that everyone is on the same page now. Have at it guys. :)

I thought it was suppose to be open right before the fall semester

Ideally, although November 07 is more realistically the timetable.

On another MacArthur note, Ann Taylor Loft has opened on the second level next to Vans, and D.E.M.O. has closed, was next to Arden B.

And the Farmer's Market is back for another year

Edited by spiker3

I'm really tempted to put up a very naughty post just in spite of urbanplanet's rules (censorship)... <_< These heated "discussions" are so much better than all the others!!! That's part of the appeal of online discussions... people say things they wouldn't otherwise say face to face.

To get back on topic, I think we can all agree that a small injection of creativity in the local cuisine wouldn't hurt.

I'm really tempted to put up a very naughty post just in spite of urbanplanet's rules (censorship)... <_< These heated "discussions" are so much better than all the others!!! That's part of the appeal of online discussions... people say things they wouldn't otherwise say face to face.

To get back on topic, I think we can all agree that a small injection of creativity in the local cuisine wouldn't hurt.

It is not about censorship, so let me clarify for you a bit.

1. We have a zero tolerance policy for the following:
    • Multiple accounts
    • Imitating someone else under a username from another board
    • Flaming/bashing one person or a group of people
    • Attempts to comprimise the security of any user(s) or group(s) of this board or the board itself
    • Posting of illegal material such as warez, copyrighted material, etc.
    • Using false information when registering

I only deleted those posts which specifically violated that rule. Personal insults and name calling are strictly not allowed here. This board was created as an alternative to certain other sites where you have that in abundance. The site owner created this site in response to professionals and nonprofessionals who were looking for a place to discuss the issues in a more "mature" environment. A total of five (5) posts were deleted (none of which were yours). If you feel that you are being censored here, or that the rules of this site are too strict, you do not have to participate here. As a moderator I have simply pledged to moderate the forum based on those rules that the site owner has set, no more no less.

It is not about censorship, so let me clarify for you a bit.

I only deleted those posts which specifically violated that rule. Personal insults and name calling are strictly not allowed here. This board was created as an alternative to certain other sites where you have that in abundance. The site owner created this site in response to professionals and nonprofessionals who were looking for a place to discuss the issues in a more "mature" environment. A total of five (5) posts were deleted (none of which were yours). If you feel that you are being censored here, or that the rules of this site are too strict, you do not have to participate here. As a moderator I have simply pledged to moderate the forum based on those rules that the site owner has set, no more no less.

First off, I was kidding, but in all seriousness... mature people disagree, mature people can go overboard, and mature people are able to resolve their own arguments. I don't see the need to go back and delete what has already been said. As a moderator, you did your job, and I have no complaints with you.

Lambda Rising will close in Ghent

Hampton Roads' only queer bookstore closing? Very unfortunate. I never got the chance to visit the place - I was only 18 when I left HR and not quite ready for it. Still, I can't believe that a region of 1.7 million can't support a single queer bookstore. Hopefully it will be replaced shortly.

Lambda Rising will close in Ghent

Hampton Roads' only queer bookstore closing? Very unfortunate. I never got the chance to visit the place - I was only 18 when I left HR and not quite ready for it. Still, I can't believe that a region of 1.7 million can't support a single queer bookstore. Hopefully it will be replaced shortly.

I don't think it has so much to do with region as it does with the fact that most hard to find stuff can be gotten online now. The only bookstores you really see thriving anymore are the national chains. Small mom and pop operations are going by the wayside.

I don't think it has so much to do with region as it does with the fact that most hard to find stuff can be gotten online now. The only bookstores you really see thriving anymore are the national chains. Small mom and pop operations are going by the wayside.

Vdogg, not sure if this is really the case. I visited Baltimore this last weekend and stayed with a friend in a very nice neighborhood away from the bustle of the Inner Harbor and we visited a very nice independent bookstore which was packed on a Sunday morning. Now let me add that this bookstore had a coffee shop and diner with live entertainment on Saturdays and Sundays. What I observed is that a bookstore has to provide more than just books it has to be neighborhood gathering place where people can eat, drink, and be entertained.

We here in DC have a Lambda Rising that appears to be doing quite well, but I heard that business is down with the advent of E-bay and other on-line sources for books, cds etc. By the way how is Prince Books on Main St. doing?

What I observed is that a bookstore has to provide more than just books it has to be neighborhood gathering place where people can eat, drink, and be entertained.

There are many successful examples of independent bookstores that do quite well -- Joseph-Beth in Charlotte and Elliot Bay in Seattle come to mind. What they have figured out is the same challenge any enterprise has to figure out when their model changes - how do I change my customers perception of my value proposition? Maybe Lambda Rising and Relative Theory failed to figure out how to stay, dare I say, "relative"? (although I think in RT's case, it is a case of the restaurant becoming more successful, and not being able to do both -- just a hunch.)

Think about Starbucks -- you can get coffee cheaper, and probably as good, at home -- yet you pay $5 there. Because it isn't about the coffee -- same conversation I had with my German friends when Starbucks came to Germany -- "Oh, Germans will never give up their Jacobs or Tchibo!". Yea, well, guess what? Those two were selling coffee, and Starbucks was selling lifestyle -- Starbucks everywhere in Germany now. These retailers need to realize that if all they are is a local delivery point for a more expensive commodity, then they will lose to Amazon (or my fave, www.fetchbook.info) every time. They need to deliver something an online seller, or BN can't, or won't. Joseph-Beth has figured it out -- and Charlotte isn't too far away to take a research run.

Kind of the same problem mom and pop office supply stores faced in the '80s -- some became specialty stationery stores and survived. Others tried to keep charging retail for paper clips and got crushed.

Edited by scm

Although I too am sad to see Relative Theory and Lambda Rising go from the area, I think they both left a lot to be desired. The conceptual idea was good, but both places were always dead. Relative Theory had a very limited selection as well. Neither were places that were cool to just hang out in and I am not sure how a place gets to that level.

What is sad to me is that two more indies are now gone and we are left with more vacant retail space. DT still has way too much vacant space and Ghent is getting there.

This is terrible! Relative Theory is one of my favorite things about Hampton Roads. When I moved down from Philly I thought I'd be giving up a lot of culture (sorry!), but RT filled a major gap. Places like this should be as much a priority to a city as sidewalks. Ok, maybe that's a stretch, but for me RT is a major downtown attraction and will be less of a destination once it's gone.

If they were smart they would incorporate RT into the The Boot restaurant. If they could add that to the restaurant it would incrediable!

Try the Vintage Tavern http://vintagetavernvirginia.com/ in north Suffolk. We enjoyed the drive into a more rural area of HR and were delighted to find this gem. We met the owners in the bar, enjoying their own Happy Hour. Every part of our meal was exquisite... from the wine in the bar (1/2 price during Happy Hour) to the Country Ham and Vidalia Onion soup appetizer to the succulent chicken (and more wine) to the homemade chocolate-cherry ice cream that would have put Ben & Jerry's to shame (and I LOVE Cherry Garcia).

The place is gorgeous, too. Homey without being dull and high-end without being ostentatious. Be sure to check out the bathrooms (they used wood from the original building on the property) and the patio. A wonderful guitarist and singer entertained by the roaring fire on the stone patio (it was chilly this night). Everyone seemed to know one another or was busy introducing new friends. There was no pretentiousness here!

And, the service was to die for! Our waiter knew intimate details about each and every dish from preparation to presentation and could recommend the perfect accompanying wine for each meal.

If I worked for Zagat or any other so-called survey group, it would be tops on my list. Can't wait to go back.