Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

Has anyone seen the progress on the Barnes & Noble in MacArthur Center? All I've seen is a "Coming Soon" on the website.

Also, my memory is slipping. Is it supposed to have direct access to the outside, or are the only entrances from inside the mall/garage?

looks like Aug 16th is the opening date.....sooner the better, I'm tired of driving to Greenbriar or Town Center to go to Barnes and Noble, but I really wish this could have been a free standing or attached structure.

TCC - Barnes and Noble

looks like Aug 16th is the opening date.....sooner the better, I'm tired of driving to Greenbriar or Town Center to go to Barnes and Noble, but I really wish this could have been a free standing or attached structure.

TCC - Barnes and Noble

Thanks for the link. I really wish it would have had outside access as well.

Oh well, I guess that leaves plenty of room for Bloomingdales! ^_^

It may be pointless at this time to bring up the issue of the missing third anchor for Macarthur Center, but I was just thinking. Remember when Norfolk was trying to get Macy's which was obviously unsuccessful. Well, now that Hecht's stores have been replaced with Macy's, maybe Norfolk should have gone for Hecht's in the beginning. Shoulda', coulda', woulda'... Oh the irony :rolleyes:

Then again, for Macarthur to get a Macy's now would be nothing special, considering the fact that we have several in the 757 area. So, it would be better for the mall to get Bloomingdales or Neiman Marcus. That's wishful thinking I guess. That empty space is sort of like my creepy looking middle school math teacher, who had long strands of hair hanging from her arm. You just want to do something about it, but you know can't. :unsure:

I guess you can't rush progress. It's not as if the mall hasn't been doing well without a third anchor.

By the way, I'm trying to think where the ice skating rink will end up once they do get a third anchor. Okay, I'm thinking waaaaay to far into the future.

It may be pointless at this time to bring up the issue of the missing third anchor for Macarthur Center, but I was just thinking. Remember when Norfolk was trying to get Macy's which was obviously unsuccessful. Well, now that Hecht's stores have been replaced with Macy's, maybe Norfolk should have gone for Hecht's in the beginning. Shoulda', coulda', woulda'... Oh the irony :rolleyes:

Then again, for Macarthur to get a Macy's now would be nothing special, considering the fact that we have several in the 757 area. So, it would be better for the mall to get Bloomingdales or Neiman Marcus. That's wishful thinking I guess. That empty space is sort of like my creepy looking middle school math teacher, who had long strands of hair hanging from her arm. You just want to do something about it, but you know can't. :unsure:

I guess you can't rush progress. It's not as if the mall hasn't been doing well without a third anchor.

By the way, I'm trying to think where the ice skating rink will end up once they do get a third anchor. Okay, I'm thinking waaaaay to far into the future.

I'm on the fence about the third anchor...In a way, I fill like its a void as you described, however, I like the idea of the skating ring in the winter. I think if they modify the area in front of valet parking, Monticello and Granby (beside the norva), they can use the space for a skating ring in the winter. That way we still get a nice area and space to build the third anchor. That's the only way I can be happy with the space....

Also, I believe the third anchor would be is adjacent to the food court. That means a bottom entrance with maybe an outlet to the food court area (if I'm thinking about it right)......I say use half the space and make a one of a kind restaurant, 2 or 3 floors, retractable glass windows to adjust for the winter and summer and balcony that will over look that court yard. That would look amazing with LRT coming up the street....

That empty space is sort of like my creepy looking middle school math teacher, who had long strands of hair hanging from her arm. You just want to do something about it, but you know can't. :unsure:

The skating rink will have a new home when NRHA demolishes the housing projects bounded by Brambleton/Monticello/Va Bch Blvd/Tidewater Dr to make way for Norfolk's "Central Park."

The skating rink will have a new home when NRHA demolishes the housing projects bounded by Brambleton/Monticello/Va Bch Blvd/Tidewater Dr to make way for Norfolk's "Central Park."

It would be great for Norfolk to have a great city park planned as part of the redevelopment of the St. Paul's quadrant, and including the skating rink there makes a lot of sense. The planning for this area and the anticpated leapfrog of downtown north of Brambleton will make the next 10 years very interesting.

B&N Top Floor is officially open...

Blog Posting about Grand Opening

Pilot Online Article

I know when this project was first announced i talked about the Starbucks being removed from the project. Originally it was, however due to a change in head management for HMSHost (the Food Court operators) the new manager did not have the pull, clout or wherewithall to get the deal done.

And related note, for those of you having issues with Burger King, i apologize for no longer running that restaurant, and since having left it's apparently taken a rather hard run in customer service and quality.

I do miss the mall sometimes though.... :lol:

Hey, this is great news. Banana Republic is going to open a store in Macarthur Center. Check out this brief but exciting article in the Virginian-Pilot.

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?...&ran=157234

That is great, but I would have expected MacArthur Center to already have one. Oh well, late is better than never, for sure. I really like Banana Republic. :)

That is great, but I would have expected MacArthur Center to already have one. Oh well, late is better than never, for sure. I really like Banana Republic. :)

lol, me too. I guess I always just assumed that they had one. This is definitely good news for them though.

Where did you get this central park information from? Have plans been drawn up already?

Visited to barnes and noble today, the top floor is still the only one open, the staircase to downstairs looks fantastic, and the selection downstairs looks like thats where the majority of their books will be. Definitely a solid addition to the mall. Also, the scheduled hours of operation are an hour later than the mall closes, 10 PM Monday - Saturday, 7 PM on Sundays.

Carvel Ice Cream is now Hershey's Ice Cream, reducing the # of carvel's in the area to 2.

Went to B and N last night. Man, I cannot tell you how thrilled I am to have a major bookstore in Norfolk. My quality of life just jumped about 18 points. It is funny how a number of positive things can happen in an area and then one thing just kind of tips it over and synthesizes all of the goodness. That is what getting a B and N has done for me. :)

I talked with a worker about the difference b/n a college B and N and a regular B and N. She indicated that essentially they are the same, except that some topic areas are trimmed a bit to make room for textbooks and school paraphanalia. The TCC component is really pretty small, so, essentially, this B and N is on par with any other B and N.

The 2nd floor will open on 8/26. I look very forward to spending some good time there, particularly when LRT is up and I can jump on and cruise on down.

Norfolk is really stepping it up. I'm very happy here.

Sounds great. So does the store have the typical Starbucks as well?

If it's anything like the B&N William & Mary Bookstore, then it should be. That Starbucks is big in terms of seating area. If the MacArthur store is supposed to have the biggest Starbucks of any B&N College store, then it will be a monster.

Went to B and N last night. Man, I cannot tell you how thrilled I am to have a major bookstore in Norfolk. My quality of life just jumped about 18 points. It is funny how a number of positive things can happen in an area and then one thing just kind of tips it over and synthesizes all of the goodness. That is what getting a B and N has done for me. :)

I talked with a worker about the difference b/n a college B and N and a regular B and N. She indicated that essentially they are the same, except that some topic areas are trimmed a bit to make room for textbooks and school paraphanalia. The TCC component is really pretty small, so, essentially, this B and N is on par with any other B and N.

The 2nd floor will open on 8/26. I look very forward to spending some good time there, particularly when LRT is up and I can jump on and cruise on down.

Norfolk is really stepping it up. I'm very happy here.

I miss Norfolk. :cry:

Edited by dupont94

I don't think so. Prince Books concentrates more on hard-to-find, local, and unique books than the generic stuff in B&N. In fact, Prince Books competes more with B&N.com than it does B&N stores. I believe they draw from two different demographics. Anyone who visits MacArthur in the first place is not going to venture over to Prince. They probably never heard of it. In other words, B&N will generate trips while Prince won't. It will continue to attract people off the street and people looking for hard to find titles. If you visit it, there aren't many people in there like you'll find at B&N at any given time of the day.

Having Taste Unlimited also helps as does having Pete Decker as a landlord. His partners and clients will keep the business going. Besides, if Prince withstood Waldenbooks, they can face B&N.