Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

I've been to restaurants in Newark's Little Portugal, also Lammius. It's a great experience. I suppose it is more Brasilian now than earlier with the influx of South Americans, but it originally was a Portuguese enclave (Old World/New World -- same language and good food).

East 86th Street in Manhattan was called Yorkville until the 60's and was totally German. Now it's generic. I hope Newark hangs on to the Brazil/Portugal district.

The original Churasscuria in Metro Richmond was and is IPENEMA in the far West End. A lot of people prefer it to TEXAS DE BRAZIL where the price is a flat $50 per person (less, if you partake of the salad bar alone).

Newark's Portuguese district (called The Ironbound) is still alive and well. It's a roughly 30 block area east of Newark Penn Station. There has been an influx of Brazilians into the Ironbound, and many come over from neighboring Harrison which is a town of mostly Brazilians and Chinese people. But the City of Newark considers the Ironbound a showpiece. It's one of the city's most vibrant, exciting, and interesting neighborhoods. I enjoy taking friends and family there when they visit NJ. I doubt it's going anywhere anytime soon.

Back on topic, HR could use some good "ethnic" (I hate that word) restaurants. The more authentic the better!

Caught this off a blog on Pilotonline.

"Friday: A new store, Genre, is having a sneak peek. (You probably can't go, but you still should know about it.) The new store will carry designer frames (glasses, for the slow) by the likes of Prada, Juicy Couture, Versace, D&G and Roberto Cavali. The store is at 211 Freemason Street in Norfolk. "

There is is also another designer clothing store that recently opened in the Freemason area. Frivolous goods at 507 Botetourt St.

It's good to see some out of mall retail coming to downtown, hopefully someone with a disposable income can keep these places in business.

I e-mailed Anytime Fitness asking where the ghent location would be..they are still looking....

We are still looking to secure a lease in Ghent at this time.

But meanwhile, the 2406B E. Little Creek Road location will be open in July.

Thanks,

Nicole

It actually was Spaghetti Warehouse many years ago...it was Plaza Azteca for the last few years before they closed.

When it was Spaghetti Warehouse was the interior adorned with picturesque trappings, including an old street car? It was a large chain of themed restaurants but I think the entire operation folded.

When it was Spaghetti Warehouse was the interior adorned with picturesque trappings, including an old street car? It was a large chain of themed restaurants but I think the entire operation folded.

Yes burt it had tall ceilings and had the street car in there. The building it was in was very old. Not sure what year it was built in but you can see that age, which was cool.

Yes burt it had tall ceilings and had the street car in there. The building it was in was very old. Not sure what year it was built in but you can see that age, which was cool.

And it was quite reasonable in price as I recall, Russ. You got pretty good food and enjoyable surroundings.

I seem to recall that the company deliberately placed its restaurants (of which there were many) in off-the-track locations.

And it was quite reasonable in price as I recall, Russ. You got pretty good food and enjoyable surroundings.

I seem to recall that the company deliberately placed its restaurants (of which there were many) in off-the-track locations.

The decor in the spaghetti warehouse was really nice.I wish it could have stayed there.

The Harry's BBQ is now open on Tazwell Street. They were closed for about a month due to a blocked fire exit. (courtesy of a handicap ramp for Byrd and Baldwins).

I wondered what was going on. I went by there for lunch & was really upset.

I wondered what was going on. I went by there for lunch & was really upset.

I ate at the new location Friday night and it was excellent. The prices haven't changed much and the portions are very large. Got about $9 I had two sides and about a pound of BBQ. My friends had a healthy portion of ribs with 2 sides for $11. They expect to have the ABC license issue worked out in a couple weeks.

"Friday: A new store, Genre, is having a sneak peek. (You probably can't go, but you still should know about it.) The new store will carry designer frames (glasses, for the slow) by the likes of Prada, Juicy Couture, Versace, D&G and Roberto Cavali. The store is at 211 Freemason Street in Norfolk. "

There is is also another designer clothing store that recently opened in the Freemason area. Frivolous goods at 507 Botetourt St.

It's good to see some out of mall retail coming to downtown, hopefully someone with a disposable income can keep these places in business.

Anyone go to these? I heard from a friend that another friend went into the store next door to Frivolous Goods and asked the price on a lamp, and the response was, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it." It was dekor eklect or something. I have an idea to punk them, but I have a hard time keeping a straight face. I'm no Ali G, that's for sure.

That Frivolous Goods place, I think that is the joint that had their opening a few weeks ago. Other than that, it always looks closed. It sort of looked like a hip hop place. The places that sell the clothing lines from all the sell out rappers.

I live in Freemason area, and I still don't know what to make of it.

A architectural firm rehabbed the building that used to be some sort of bar/resturant on the corner (triangle building, I think it used to be called the O.R. or something). Once they moved out of the office and into their own building (not sure if they own it or not), thats when the dog place and the other "high end" spots opened. They probably should have torn down that triangle building instead of rehabbing it, but perhaps there was a law or something that prevented it.

Anyways, back to the over the top stores.... I wonder if the people that shop there are like, real money, or people who do the home ATM thing. If it's the latter, they could be in for a rough time. If it's cruella's and stuff, who got tons of cash by marrying a hard working business man and divorced him talking half, then I wouldn't be surprised if they get a bunch of Michael Jacksons in there running around throwing cash out like rice.

Anyone hit Grace Street Grill? I tried it, after hearing about it non-stop on Debt Free Express (A mortgage show on AM where they talk as if they never pushed the bad loans -- which is totally awesome, although I didn't listen during the mania so I can't 100% confirm). I walked over there, and it took a while to find it. I used to work for the ISP that is in the building right next door, and at the time that building was being used for storage. So it was amazing (and clicked in my head the location) that there is a place in there. The owner(s) seem to be big Philly Eagles fans, and I'm not a sports guy so that aspect is lost on me. But the food was good. I think it ran about $8 for a half steak & cheese w/ fries and soda. There are a few tables in the back, and bar seating up front. It won't accommodate a huge crowd, but there is delivery. I'll go back, definitly, and took some menus back to my apartment building to help spread the word.

Since it's hard to find (or was for me). It's not in Gotham City (the grey building where Databank computers and the florist are). It's right next to the 5 story white brick building that is at 740 duke/grace, which is right across from Chrysler Museum of Art.

Edited by Telmnstr

Anyways, back to the over the top stores.... I wonder if the people that shop there are like, real money, or people who do the home ATM thing. If it's the latter, they could be in for a rough time. If it's cruella's and stuff, who got tons of cash by marrying a hard working business man and divorced him talking half, then I wouldn't be surprised if they get a bunch of Michael Jacksons in there running around throwing cash out like rice.

Well, there's an important distinction to be made between the two... a store carrying lamps and home goods probably wouldn't do too terribly well over time (just my assumption) by comparison to a clothing store. A lot of the business at the higher-end clothing stores (just look around MacArthur, for example) is that of teenagers. There's a lot of money that the teens in parts of this area have access to, and they spend it like it's going out of style. Another example is the college-aged students, particularly some of the out-of-state / Northeastern students at my school. I walk around campus and see Gucci and Cavali and Mizrahi (both real and fake) and I know that if a store catering to that sort of excesses would open up, they'd flock to it.

Well, there's an important distinction to be made between the two... a store carrying lamps and home goods probably wouldn't do too terribly well over time (just my assumption) by comparison to a clothing store. A lot of the business at the higher-end clothing stores (just look around MacArthur, for example) is that of teenagers. There's a lot of money that the teens in parts of this area have access to, and they spend it like it's going out of style. Another example is the college-aged students, particularly some of the out-of-state / Northeastern students at my school. I walk around campus and see Gucci and Cavali and Mizrahi (both real and fake) and I know that if a store catering to that sort of excesses would open up, they'd flock to it.

Haha, that's so true. Just to confirm it, when I went to Tabb High in Yorktown just for the first half of freshman year, there were plenty of girls that carried around Louis Vuitton, Chanel and all that other lady junk (no offense ladies). And ALL of my mom's friends carried around fancy handbags like LV, Versace, Coach and a buncha other stuff to church and to our house. And the closest fancy stores are either in Richmond or NoVa, and they do travel to buy those things.

spend it like it's going out of style. Another example is the college-aged students, particularly some of the out-of-state / Northeastern students at my school. I walk around campus and see Gucci and Cavali and Mizrahi (both real and fake) and I know that if a store catering to that sort of excesses would open up, they'd flock to it.

Yea, that just don't make sense to me. I like nice things too, but I generally look for value in an item -- not just name.

I'll ask my friend what the deal is with the handbag store or whatever. IT has a counter with a plasma TV, and a couple of items and that is all in the store. I'm assuming is $1000+ or something per item, but it's just a guess (The clothing store, not the place that looks like an antique store).

Stopped by Bang and Olufsen yesterday. Met with two of the owners (one who happens to be a fellow urban planet reader) and one of their colleagues. The store was really sharp. I learned a lot about Bang and Olufsen and their market. The store in Palace Station is a licensed store and the only one between Atlanta and DC. The owners are not solely relying on it for a stream of revenue. They also run a cabinetry/carpentry business where they design high end solutions for homeowners. So, the B & O is more of a side business for them.

I'd highly recommend stopping by to check it out. They were extremely personable and helpful -- even offering me a beer! It isn't everyday that you get that kind of service.

Edited by New England Transplant

Stopped by Bang and Olufsen yesterday. Met with two of the owners (one who happens to be a fellow urban planet reader) and one of their colleagues. The store was really sharp. I learned a lot about Bang and Olufsen and their market. The store in Palace Station is a licensed store and the only one between Atlanta and DC. The owners are not solely relying on it for a stream of revenue. They also run a cabinetry/carpentry business where they design high end solutions for homeowners. So, the B & O is more of a side business for them.

I'd highly recommend stopping by to check it out. They were extremely personable and helpful -- even offering me a beer! It isn't everyday that you get that kind of service.

Cool! I've seen one of their stores in Michigan before (but they just left). Real quality stuff, and I'm glad they are giving Norfolk a chance!

Cool! I've seen one of their stores in Michigan before (but they just left). Real quality stuff, and I'm glad they are giving Norfolk a chance!

Maybe all the kids spending their excess money on Frivolous Goods can redirect it towards some high end audio equipment... Hopefully they can do decent business.