Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

I agree..hopefully Prince will still do well. I have to say that I've lived in Freemason on Duke & Tazewell for two years now and I had never been to Prince until Saturday and I go to Starbucks on Main every Sat./Sun. I did buy a book by the way.... They could do a much better job of advertising that they have coffee and food inside...yeah they have the Taste Unlimited sign, but for non locals what does that mean? This could be a city cafe with lots of energy, but instead it falls flat and is stuffy and typical old Virginia inside....this is not a dig as I enjoyed being inside, just an observation....I'm in Marketing and I believe it has lots of potential.

• 3 weeks later...

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?...6&ran=92808

Interesting story about the vacant Irish Pub on Granby. It's too bad that the owners of the building don't have a "vacancy clause" or that the city can pass a "vacancy ordinance". Buildings should not be left to sit and rot (especially on Granby which is chock full of empty and emptying businesses). His lease runs out in 2014? And there is nothing the ownders can do? Or maybe there is nothing that they care to do because of the fact that someone is paying rent?

And also, about the Prince's Book Store... big giant yawn. I live within walking distance and rarely set foot in that place. It's actually less of an exciting book store for me than Barnes & Noble. I wish them luck as an independent business, but Marco757 is right about the place. It could be more but it is just... blah.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally visited the New Downtown Farm Fresh. While it is a good store with good amenities, I can't help but wonder what it would have done for DT Norfolk had it been a Whole Foods or Wild Oats. No one will be driving from VA Beach, PT, or Ches just to visit a Farm Fresh, but they would have had it been one of the above mention stores. A missed opportunity. I was told a rumor by workers @ Trader Joe's in NN that Farm Fresh actively lobbies southside cities to prevent the expansion of other chains in the region. Sad if that is actually true.

I finally visited the New Downtown Farm Fresh. While it is a good store with good amenities, I can't help but wonder what it would have done for DT Norfolk had it been a Whole Foods or Wild Oats. No one will be driving from VA Beach, PT, or Ches just to visit a Farm Fresh, but they would have had it been one of the above mention stores. A missed opportunity. I was told a rumor by workers @ Trader Joe's in NN that Farm Fresh actively lobbies southside cities to prevent the expansion of other chains in the region. Sad if that is actually true.

The demographics are simply not there for a Whole Foods and while it would have been great the market there is not bad....they have a long way to go as far as product mix...the to go food section needs much improvement including their salad bar...it's like from Pizza Hut from the 80's. Buyer's need to visit a Wegman's and take good notes. I've heard they took the best sellers from the other area Farm Fresh stores, but I'm not sure they realize that people in proximity to the store travel and are used to going to Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Wegmans etc..... the most exotic thing on the salad bar is cubed ham.

I am sure that the Farm Fresh will blossom in due time. I think it is a nice mix (but yes, the salad bar is pretty lame) of things. I am very happy that there is not a Whole Foods there as they are way overpriced. Trader Joe's owner (Aldi) is cheap and would not put a store in an area like that (high rent prices...).

As for the Farm Fresh conspiracy theory, I am sure that it is like that wherever you go. Farm Fresh held the lease up on the building that houses Harris Teeter for YEARS (and I am talking like 6-8) to stop competition. They are owned by Richfood which is one of the top three grocers in the nation (owns Albertson's and Jewel as well). As for them being able to keep out Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, I think it is more market forces (or lack thereof) that keep these stores from locating here.

It seems to me that alot of the shopping centers and malls in norfolk are going downhill, looking run down, and full of store closings and vacancies. First look at shopping centers like JANAF, Southern Shopping Center, Wards Corner Shopping Center, Little Creek East, Wedgewood, Colley Village, etc. Alot are run down and do not look appealing and have a lack of quality retailers. I heard that alot of Norfolk residents have to travel to Va Beach and Chesapeake to do alot of their shopping.

Second, Military Circle lost alot of good stores (Chick-fil-A, Spencers, Wilson's Leather, Suncoast, FYE or Sam Goody (the music store it had), Sea Dream Leather, Athlete's Foot, etc.) and it has alot of bootleg fake stores like that place Chicken Garden which is a nasty rip off of Chick-fil-A. I bought a sandwich from there and it was not good at all. I should've got the Villa Pizza. They even have a bootleg Dollar store which is a fake Dollar Tree. The mall is full of fake urban clothing stores but I do like their Jimmy Jazz and Up Against the Wall. I do wear urban clothes but I also wear clothes from Express, Ambercrombie, American Eagle Outfitters, Gap, etc. and Military Circle doesn't have anything but urban clothing inside the mall. I hope the mall doesn't end up like Tower Mall but that is what I see. They should have a good variety like Lynnhaven, Greenbrier, etc so the mall could attract a big variety and quantity of shoppers which would help with security.

MacArthur Center seems to be doing better but alot of good national retailers left like Aldo, Timberland, Sephora, Bose, White House/Black Market, Castaldi's, Rain Forest Cafe, etc. and they filling up spaces with cell phone companies, and stores like Mr. Convenient...which are ok but doesn't fit into the upscale concept it should have if they want to attract tourists and make the mall a great and desired place to shop. At least its getting a Banana Republic and still have stores like J. Crew, Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, etc. I been to malls in Richmond, Charlotte, Northern Virginia, etc. and they have alot of stores that MacArthur have and the stores that left MacArthur and even stuff that haven't been in Hampton Roads before but I guess Norfolk and Hampton Roads isn't sophisicated enough for those stores. I hope this mall doesn't go down anymore than it did. I heard that Aldo left because of problems with mall management and not with sales and they are working to put a store in Patrick Henry and Lynnhaven because they did fine at MacArthur. So I guess maybe the location isn't that bad.

I think that we should have better shopping options in Norfolk and not a city full of run down shopping centers like Wards Corner. That may give our city a better reputation and make other cities come to Norfolk to shop instead of the other way around.

Why does anyone from Va. Beach need to drive to DT to buy groceries? There are hundreds, even thousands of people downtown to use this store. And it's been pretty busy since it opened. It's an excellent store filling a huge need. And the people are using it. This is not a missed opportunity at all. In fact, I doubt many people would have come from VB if it were a Whole Foods or anything else.

In fact, I doubt many people would have come from VB if it were a Whole Foods or anything else.
I had the chance Saturday to visit the new FF in HH, and it is like nothing else in HR. The produce section is unmatched, and is pretty close to Wegman's for variety. There are plenty of items in there that are not reliably available in any other store in HR -- fava beans, multiple types of eggplant, including Thai. Jicama, all types of root veggies, all types of minis --- corn, zucchini, carrots, etc.. About the only thing they don't have, that you can reliably find at Wegman's is Treviso radicchio -- and when I mentioned it to the produce guy, he said they would look into carrying it. He said their goal is to have stuff no one else has, and they do -- even bigger selection than Fresh Market -- and more surprising since FF usually has the crappy produce sections, only marginally better than Food Lion.

Also, their cheese selection is unmatched -- again, surpassing Fresh Market. At least six different types of French goat cheese, three or four different brands of French Camembert, dolce and piccante gorgonzola, and on and on and on.

Once the word gets out, foodies will drive from VB for the things you just can't get anywhere else.

Interesting the things that people here judged the store by -- I found the produce and cheese sections unparalleled, and never even looked at the salad bar!

I had the chance Saturday to visit the new FF in HH, and it is like nothing else in HR. The produce section is unmatched, and is pretty close to Wegman's for variety. There are plenty of items in there that are not reliably available in any other store in HR -- fava beans, multiple types of eggplant, including Thai. Jicama, all types of root veggies, all types of minis --- corn, zucchini, carrots, etc.. About the only thing they don't have, that you can reliably find at Wegman's is Treviso radicchio -- and when I mentioned it to the produce guy, he said they would look into carrying it. He said their goal is to have stuff no one else has, and they do -- even bigger selection than Fresh Market -- and more surprising since FF usually has the crappy produce sections, only marginally better than Food Lion.

Also, their cheese selection is unmatched -- again, surpassing Fresh Market. At least six different types of French goat cheese, three or four different brands of French Camembert, dolce and piccante gorgonzola, and on and on and on.

Once the word gets out, foodies will drive from VB for the things you just can't get anywhere else.

Interesting the things that people here judged the store by -- I found the produce and cheese sections unparalleled, and never even looked at the salad bar!

The butcher counter is impressive too, you can get any cut of meat you want. I was told by the produce people that they are still getting in a lot of merchandise so expect a lot more speciality items in the next couple of weeks.

Also, the prepped meats and fish dishes are very good and reasonably priced. I think the prepped veggies were a bit high though.

This is not a missed opportunity at all. In fact, I doubt many people would have come from VB if it were a Whole Foods or anything else.

Live in or visit any city that has Wild Oats/Whole foods etc. People drive from all over their metro areas to go there, making them shopping tourist attractions. (the food equivalent of IKEA). Yes, Farm Fresh stepped up to the plate and hit a home run. But the idea is to make downtown a destination for more than those who live by it. But on the flip side, it is never a bad thing work with local businesses you trust to not pack up and leave at the fist sign of bad times.

But, I don't buy the notion that the demographics aren't here to support those type of stores. Trust me, if Tulsa Ok can support that kind of store...HR can.

Edited by Case

But, I don't buy the notion that the demographics aren't here to support those type of stores. Trust me, if Tulsa Ok can support that kind of store...HR can.

Tulsa is a real demographic anomaly, and flies in the face of all of the pre-concieved notions of Oklahoma. The demographics there are significantly more attractive to retailers than Norfolk. For instance, Tulsa median household income -- $42K, Norfolk -- $31.8. Per capita income, Tulsa -- $22K, Norfolk -- $13.3K. Whole Foods bases much of their site selection on #s of college grads in the area. Tulsa -- 29.4% college degree (of some type), Norfolk -- 23.9%.

Those numbers are why there are retailers in Tulsa that aren't here -- Saks, Brooks Brothers (real store, not the 349 lower end), Polo Shop. There is nothing here to compare to Utica Square -- because there aren't the same kind of shoppers here.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for some prestigious recommendations here guys, Monday is me and my girl's one year anniversary, and i'm looking to take her someplace upscale. Right now my front runner is Byrd & Baldwin Bros, but i'm open to other possibilities. I'd prefer steak, american or italian cuisine, doesn't necessarily have to be in downtown norfolk, could be anywhere....any recommendations? Or feedback about B&BB?

Looking for some prestigious recommendations here guys, Monday is me and my girl's one year anniversary, and i'm looking to take her someplace upscale. Right now my front runner is Byrd & Baldwin Bros, but i'm open to other possibilities. I'd prefer steak, american or italian cuisine, doesn't necessarily have to be in downtown norfolk, could be anywhere....any recommendations? Or feedback about B&BB?
Well, you can't go wrong at B&B. It depends on what you want -- if both of you are hardcore steak eaters, and you live near downtown, then that is the right choice. If you live closer to the oceanfront and are hardcore steak eaters, then Zoe's on 19th is fantastic as well.

If you live downtown, and want a special experience, wth great food to boot -- then why not ride the ferry over to Portsmouth, walk a block and a half up High, and eat at Cafe Europa? It is a little lower on the testosterone scale than B&B -- and the food is some of the best in HR. Service is impeccible. You get a romantic ride across the water. Smaller, more intimate -- better place for an occasion like you are planning.

Have fun. You won't get another first anniversary! Unless you marry her......

Well, you can't go wrong at B&B. It depends on what you want -- if both of you are hardcore steak eaters, and you live near downtown, then that is the right choice. If you live closer to the oceanfront and are hardcore steak eaters, then Zoe's on 19th is fantastic as well.

If you live downtown, and want a special experience, wth great food to boot -- then why not ride the ferry over to Portsmouth, walk a block and a half up High, and eat at Cafe Europa? It is a little lower on the testosterone scale than B&B -- and the food is some of the best in HR. Service is impeccible. You get a romantic ride across the water. Smaller, more intimate -- better place for an occasion like you are planning.

Have fun. You won't get another first anniversary! Unless you marry her......

Others to consider:

Norfolk:

Todd Jurich's

Sterling's

Bobbywood's

Vintage Kitchen

Sirena Cucina Italiana

Trilogy

Portsmouth:

Fusion 440

Brutti's

VB:

Catch 31

Coastal Grill

La Bella Italia

You can check out Club Soda in Downtown. Very pricey but great experience. It's been a while since I've been there, but I think got the lamb chop thing and it alone was $35 if I'm not mistaken. I forgot what my date ordered that night but in total it was more than $80 but probably more in the $90-$100 for us two. Food definitely was very nicely decorated at that establishment.

Espeto na Brasa

Brazilian Steak Restaurant

233 Granby Street, Norfolk, VA 23510

(757) 313-4361

http://espetonabrasa.com/

an experience not to be missed!

If you live downtown, and want a special experience, wth great food to boot -- then why not ride the ferry over to Portsmouth, walk a block and a half up High, and eat at Cafe Europa?

Oops.... Cafe Europa is closed on Monday. Mea Culpa!

Just be sure to go someplace where service is a key. I would bet, through my extended bachelorhood, I have had to choose more places for this kind of event than anyone here. Stay away from the bright, noisy places, even if they have good food. You want something where it could seem that you two are the only people in the place. That precludes Bobbywood, the Brazilian place, Catch 31, probably even One Fish, Two Fish -- all great places --- just not right for what you are doing.

If you go to the beach, Terrapin on Holly Rd. just north of Laskin is a great choice. Vintage Kitchen downtown on the water is another good choice, with outstanding food. And you can never go wrong with Todd Jurich's. Too bad Blue Hippo is gone. And the only reason I wouldn't choose B&B is if both of you aren't hard core steak eaters.

• 1 month later...

Two stores are leaving Military Circle Mall....New York & Company and Rave. This mall is going downhill. I wonder what ghetto stores that we never heard off....will they fill those spots with?

I believe the comment you made inappropriate. "I wonder what ghetto stores that we never heard of, will they fill those spots with?" We all Know that mostly African Americans shop at this mall. I just think you should use your words wisely, because it may affend someone.

Edited by kjice2

I believe the comment you made inappropriate. "I wonder what ghetto stores that we never heard of, will they fill those spots with?" We all Know that mostly African Americans shop at this mall. I just think you should use your words wisely, because it may affend someone.

You took my comment the wrong way. I didn't mean to make it a racial issue but everybody knows that the mall has been going downhill over the last 5-10 years. Alot of stores left, even Chick-fil-A. I grew up near Military Hwy and I was always at that mall. I think the changes may have something to do with the malls new management which took over in '02 I think. And all races shop there, not just African Americans. It just seems like the management of the mall would bring anybody in and not be cautious about the retail mix, not to mention how old it looks on the outside. The movie theatre is the best thing about the mall. The Macy's there isn't as good as the one at Lynnhaven and Greenbrier. Retailers must see that the mall is doing something wrong, as you can see they are leaving.

You took my comment the wrong way. I didn't mean to make it a racial issue but everybody knows that the mall has been going downhill over the last 5-10 years. Alot of stores left, even Chick-fil-A. I grew up near Military Hwy and I was always at that mall. I think the changes may have something to do with the malls new management which took over in '02 I think. And all races shop there, not just African Americans. It just seems like the management of the mall would bring anybody in and not be cautious about the retail mix, not to mention how old it looks on the outside. The movie theatre is the best thing about the mall. The Macy's there isn't as good as the one at Lynnhaven and Greenbrier. Retailers must see that the mall is doing something wrong, as you can see they are leaving.

I wonder if the light rail line going by there will help to spur any type of redevelopment. :dontknow: