Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

It's great to see a retailer (especially a high-end jeweler) doing well at the mall. I'd love to buy something but I'm definitely priced-out in the market they target.

"Carrying Cartier isn’t an insignificant investment for a retailer, which has to purchase the collections it sells. Costs can top $250,000 for a collection of pricey Cartier watches, according to Schaffer. Individual Cartier watches can run from $1,000 to more than $100,000 apiece."

I guess I can't go to Fink's planning to buy Cartier watches...

I went by the mall today. Barnes and Noble looks huge - 2 floors, 27,000 square feet. Does anyone know how big this will be with say comparing it to the one at TC or Lynnhaven?

Probably 1/4 to 1/3 the size of a traditional store. Remember this is scheduled to be the TCC bookstore, so it will have predominantly text books and course materials for TCC, with magazines, periodicals and a small variety of genres, non fiction, fiction, mystery etc. In addition, B&N Cafe, which will serve Starbucks coffee, but not be a Starbucks (like buying SB coffee from Wal-greens)

I went by the mall today. Barnes and Noble looks huge - 2 floors, 27,000 square feet. Does anyone know how big this will be with say comparing it to the one at TC or Lynnhaven?

Where exactly is this location? Is the only entrance from inside the mall?

Where exactly is this location? Is the only entrance from inside the mall?

Yes, second and third floors on the Dilliard's wing of the mall, just past Johnny Rocket's, across from EQ3 on the third floor, on the second across from Van's and Bebe, next to Radio Shack and Payless shoes, near the elevators. No other entrance besides within the mall.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry but unless they know something that I don't, they will not last in our market. I have visited the store in Tysons up here in Fairfax on numerous occasions just to be in awe... There is a portable phone (yes, one phone) for almost $300... The sound systems... Yeah, one of them has a single speaker going for $20,000. So unless they have changed what they are selling for our region, I seriously wonder how long it will last...

Just to add what Sky said, there's actually a sizable market for kind of thing, even in non-affluent areas. It's all commission based, so you can negotiate, like with a new car. Tip, you can almost always knock off 15% off the sticker price, 20% if your buying a lot of gear, or have been a loyal customer. For instance my receiver cost $800 and front/stereo speakers ran $800 for the pair (and they both retailed for 1k each, I also got them to let me pay it off over 18 months with no interest), and I don't consider myself rich. The technology changes, but not often enough that they need huge turnover or to make big markdowns to move inventories. The 5 figure stuff is almost always custom ordered, so they usually only keep a demo unit, which is usually provided by the manufacturer for free or at cost if it's a reputable dealer.

Edited by Glassoul

Well it's been a slow day so I will post that work is going on inside the old Station 2 building. It looks like they are painting so maybe someone is planning on moving in soon.

I've noticed that as well. There is a sign on the front. Its going to be a Brasilian restaurant.

That would be hot if it was Churrascaria

They brought all these exotic meats around and you either took some or passed on it. There was a block of wood on each table with a red and green sides. If you had the green side up, they meat kept on coming, but they stopped when you turned the red side up. That night I had a few cuts of steak, duck, sausages, and if I'm not mistaken kangaroo (not like steak and sausage are exotic). They also had pastas and salads and such on a buffet.

Yum.

Metalman

Edited by metalman

That would be hot if it was Churrascaria

They brought all these exotic meats around and you either took some or passed on it. There was a block of wood on each table with a red and green sides. If you had the green side up, they meat kept on coming, but they stopped when you turned the red side up. That night I had a few cuts of steak, duck, sausages, and if I'm not mistaken kangaroo (not like steak and sausage are exotic). They also had pastas and salads and such on a buffet.

Yum.

Metalman

Are you referring to the TEXAS DE BRAZIL chain, Metalman? Churrascarias are a carnivore's heaven!

Burt,

I don't know where they are based out of, but I went to one in Long Island, NY.

I don't recall "TEXAS DE BRAZIL", but I do know it was called Churrascarias.

Mmmm. Virginia, the land of delicious meat! :rofl:

Metalman, I think they are based in Orlando. Check the web site: http://www.texasdebrazil.com

They don't appear to have a location in Long Island, so maybe there's another chain of churrasarias.

Edited by burt

Metalman, I think they are based in Orlando. Check the web site: http://www.texasdebrazil.com

They don't appear to have a location in Long Island, so maybe there's another chain of churrasarias.

That's not a unique concept. It's pretty common type of Brazilian restaurant. They're definitely not vegetarian friendly places, lol!

That's not a unique concept. It's pretty common type of Brazilian restaurant. They're definitely not vegetarian friendly places, lol!

Mmmm Brazilian BBQ. Good Stuff. Ya, it's definitely not limited to that one chain. There are at least three I know of near me up in Nova(one in MD actually).

One of them is a Texas de Brazil. And I have to say, that's the worst of the three. But the most affordable at least. One in MD is called, I think, Green Tree Churasscuria...

(or however you spell that word) and there is a brand new one that just opened in Tyson's called Chima. So if you get a chain or just a unique one, or whatever,

just go hungry. They'll fill ya up.

Brazilian is AWESOME! There's a Brazilian neighborhood in Newark with tons of restaurants all over the place. They range from little hole in the wall cantinas with good meaty bar food to huge restaurants with live music, people coming to your table offering flowers, and huge pieces of any type of meat you could imagine that they slice right onto your plate. Add a pitcher of cairparinhas and you've got one of the most fun dining experiences possible (IMO). Hopefully a chain wouldn't water down that charm. If Norfolk gets a good Brazilian restaurant it would be an instant hit! There's nothing like it around.

Brazilian is AWESOME! There's a Brazilian neighborhood in Newark with tons of restaurants all over the place. They range from little hole in the wall cantinas with good meaty bar food to huge restaurants with live music, people coming to your table offering flowers, and huge pieces of any type of meat you could imagine that they slice right onto your plate. Add a pitcher of cairparinhas and you've got one of the most fun dining experiences possible (IMO). Hopefully a chain wouldn't water down that charm. If Norfolk gets a good Brazilian restaurant it would be an instant hit! There's nothing like it around.

I've been to restaurants in Newark's Little Portugal, also Lammius. It's a great experience. I suppose it is more Brasilian now than earlier with the influx of South Americans, but it originally was a Portuguese enclave (Old World/New World -- same language and good food).

East 86th Street in Manhattan was called Yorkville until the 60's and was totally German. Now it's generic. I hope Newark hangs on to the Brazil/Portugal district.

The original Churasscuria in Metro Richmond was and is IPENEMA in the far West End. A lot of people prefer it to TEXAS DE BRAZIL where the price is a flat $50 per person (less, if you partake of the salad bar alone).

Edited by burt